Sign in to follow this  
Miyagi-Do Karate

My proposal for the NFL season

1) Each team plays 6 games— ie, 2 each against division opponents. 

2) Only the winner of each division makes the playoffs. No one gets Playoff byes.  

3) season starts Jan 3, 2021.  Playing on this schedule with no breaks will have the Super Bowl being played on Feb 28th.

It’s not ideal, but you push off the season with the hope that the public health situation improves (and we get past the Fall surge) and you may even be able to have fans in the seats in January and February. This schedule also keeps the teams mostly on track for the 2021-22 offseason.

i know it seems like the ship has sailed on the NFL’s plan, but If training Camp turns into a nightmare of positive cases, I can see the NFL looking to a Plan B very quickly. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

But I have reservations in Tampa for the 1st week in February!

I'm not sure I'd wait till Jan to start, would be more inclined to play it by eat and see how things look in Oct, maybe you could start earlier.  Overall can't argue with the six week concept.

A six week season would makes a bubble practical, only issue would be the players would be in a bubble over the holidays, doubt that would go over too well.

Or start Sept 15th in a bubble for camp, season starts Nov 1st, ends before X-mas.  Take off over the holidays then the teams in the playoffs go back into the bubble Jan 2nd

I like the idea of limiting the season to six games, intra-division only.  I think you try to start the season as early as possible, allowing for time in case something happens after a few weeks.  If you want to try to make it 10 games, you could throw in a game against the corresponding NFC division as MLB did with AL/NL interleague games.  A ten game schedule would give you seven weeks of "oops" time to reset if needed.

Of course the problem with going division only is that some teams would feast on weak opponents while others would have a brutal schedule.  Frankly, aside from the Patriots*, I would thoroughly enjoy going 2x against Miami and the Jets, plus 1x against the NFC East.

I also like your idea of six games in division only. I think start date needs to be earlier in the season as there is no guarantee January will be better as that’s the peak of the flu season. Six games seems like a realistic goal. I don’t think there is any way they will make it to 16 games, though I hope I’m wrong. 

52 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

2) Only the winner of each division makes the playoffs. No one gets Playoff byes.  

So the playoffs, would it be 1 vs 4, 2 vs 3? 

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

My proposal:

IMG_1362.thumb.JPG.9347c95ab0c71e68226011f39a8ba7bd.JPG

Didn't  the SuperBowl and Mardi Gras already  contribute  enough to this mess we're  in.

2021 will be fine  enough.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Haha (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

I like it OP, and would get us past the inevitable Fall wave as stated—with any luck we might have good vax news or at least therapeutics to help as well. Bring on the Patriots!!! Oh, and if you could figure out a way to have us play Brady once, I’d be stoked provided our roster isn’t depleted at that point...

4 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

My proposal:

IMG_1362.thumb.JPG.9347c95ab0c71e68226011f39a8ba7bd.JPG

Yes Chef!!!

:)

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, BruceVilanch said:

guy's calm down, by easter the numbers will be ZEEEEEEERO.

Easter Sunday will be like a miracle, the virus will miraculously disappear; it will mark the resurrection of Jesus and of the American economy. It will be beautiful. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 2ForMacAdoo said:

Easter Sunday will be like a miracle, the virus will miraculously disappear; it will mark the resurrection of Jesus and of the American economy. It will be beautiful. 

The most beautiful strongest economy, it will  be BIG, so BIG and STRONG!

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

If that were the case I think they would just cancel the season and shoot for 2021.

1 hour ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

1) Each team plays 6 games— ie, 2 each against division opponents. 

3) season starts Jan 3, 2021.  Playing on this schedule with no breaks will have the Super Bowl being played on Feb 28th.

It’s not ideal, but you push off the season with the hope that the public health situation improves (and we get past the Fall surge) and you may even be able to have fans in the seats in January and February. This schedule also keeps the teams mostly on track for the 2021-22 offseason.

i know it seems like the ship has sailed on the NFL’s plan, but If training Camp turns into a nightmare of positive cases, I can see the NFL looking to a Plan B very quickly. 

I was thinking they need to shorten it.  Dunno if 6 games cuts it imo.  8-10 seems almost legit.  The sound of a 6 game regular season feels bootleg.  

I’d take 6 over zero

My proposal is to play the season in a bubble far away from this country. Somewhere with a functioning government that acknowledged and properly dealt with the virus.

Playing a game with lots of people constantly in each other's faces during an uncontrolled pandemic is bound to fail, especially without a bubble. There currently is still no coherent, cohesive plan to get this under control and until there is I can't see how this possibly works.

Maybe if we all just wish hard enough it will disappear, or just stop testing completely so nobody else gets it.?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, BruceVilanch said:

And everybody will have a chicken in their pot. 

Oh, wait.  Wrong era.  Calming fireside chats  have turned into devices spewing blue light and cray cray  Tweets.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Haha (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, BruceVilanch said:

Testing is overrated. We have a lot of cases because we do more testing than any other country in the world. If we didn't do all this testing, we wouldn't have so many cases. Having said that, once we have the best and most perfect vaccine distributed, we will all test negatively...in a positive way...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Meh 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

Posted (edited)

This is similar to what Big 10  is doing but they are going to start earlier rather than later and spread a smaller schedule over a bigger range of weeks. And keep the schedule within conference to provide the most flexibility. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Cruiserplayer said:

6 isn’t enough. Gotta at least get to 12 for a legit season.

The 1982 season was only 9 games.  Nobody puts an asterisk next to the Washington football team when listing the Super Bowl winners of the past.  It sucks, but we have to mentally prepare ourselves that this season is going to unsatisfying in many ways. But, it would still be better than no season at all.

1 hour ago, 2ForMacAdoo said:

Testing is overrated. We have a lot of cases because we do more testing than any other country in the world. If we didn't do all this testing, we wouldn't have so many cases. Having said that, once we have the best and most perfect vaccine distributed, we will all test negatively...in a positive way...

This might be a valid point, if the percentage of positive rates weren't going up with the number of tests, in many areas.  Do you work for the administration?

Edited by Buftex
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buftex said:

This might be a valid point, if the percentage of positive rates weren't going up with the number of tests, in many areas.  Do you work for the administration?

I think he was parodying them... 

• Like (+1) 1