Got In Yesterday From WNY.....

Had a blast!!! 4 nights of fun with 3 couples who have been friends for more than 50 years. We met in a Queens schoolyard as kids.  One of the guys (some of you met him) went to UB and met his wife up there. They still live down here but bought the family home in Williamsville. We stayed in the Hampton Inn on Main Street. 

There are places to go, the food is GREAT, the homes are cheap compared to here, and the people are shockingly friendly. Aside from the brutal winters/snow storms, there is nothing not to like imo. I'm in good shape for my age, but shoveling snow is not an option, and I don't know if I could deal with multiple 24 inch snowfalls. That said, I am in love with the area.

I did not see 1 house with a  "FOR SALE" sign in Williamsville or Amherst. Not one. In fact, they were building beautiful houses near a church that we attended. Some of them were not even close to being completed and they had "SOLD" signs, as did a few of the lots.

I don't know what is happening in WNY but I DO know what is happening here. People with money in NYC are RUNNING out to the suburbs and buying up houses like I have never seen before. They are getting away from the riots, filth, and criminals that were released. Crime stats are through the roof and heading for 80's level. With people working from home, there is less need for cities. It looks like this is happening too Buffalo, but again, I am not from the area and cannot say. In any event, if you own a house in Williamsville/Amherst, congrats!!! :) It is a wonderful area and your property value must be skyrocketing! 

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

I stay at the Hampton Inn on Main St when I get back to the area, then move downtown for game days. I absolutely LOVE all the stuff you can walk to and the great food. This was home to me for so many great years growing up! Williamsville and East Amherst warm my heart. Woodstream Farms was a place I’d ride my bike thru and dream (sometimes past midnight with a 12 pack strapped to the back of the bike, but that’s another story!). I still go there when I get back. 

We moved a lot growing up. Going by all the old houses and eating at my favorite places is a full time job! I need more than 3 meals/day to get it all done. I’ve even thought about a summer place up there as it’s still cheap compared to so many other areas. Long shot, but a real consideration. Tough sell with the wife I’m sure. She dreams of mountains, but maybe a home opener would sell her??? 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

Called  white flight, especially  here to across the border into Indiana. 

This is 2000 & 2010 Census.   2020 has to have  this chart  on "steriods."

Williamsville  and Amherst.  LoL... Very  diverse! Williamsville  is 0.1% AA. 

map-8-1-thumb.jpg

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

8 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

map-8-1-thumb.jpg

We just didn’t like going to all those weekly weekly meetings??? It doesn’t make us bad people!   

?

11 minutes ago, Augie said:

We just didn’t like going to all those weekly weekly meetings??? It doesn’t make us bad people!   

?

No.  But let's  expel  the elephant  ? in the room.   I am  in a very diverse  part of the South Suburbs  here.  In Will County, on the edge of the country. Explain  how I built my house brand new in 1996 and  in 2020, my value is less.  I lost money on a new house  in a collar county suburb. 

If I move my house via helicopter  to the North  Suburbs, homogeneous, less diverse area, I would  get +2x what I paid  for it. Same if I moved it to WNY.

We live in a very racist  country.  It is what it is.

I guess  people will want  nice, cheap  housing  some  day. That's  a plus.  I live in a very nice rural  area. It's  just very diverse.

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

No.  But let's  expel  the elephant  ? in the room.   I am  in a very diverse  part of the South Suburbs  here.  In Will County, on the edge of the country. Explain  how I built my house brand new in 1996 and  in 2020, my value is less.  I lost money on a new house  in a collar county suburb. 

I move my house via helicopter  to the North  Suburbs, homogeneous, less diverse area and I would  get +2x what I paid  for it. Same if I moved it to WNY.

We live in a very racist  country.  It is what it is.

I guess  people will want  nice, cheap  housing  some  day. That's  a plus.

I make a joke about going to AA meetings, and you come back with this? Maybe I should have been more clear. My bad. Really. 

It’s more than race, it’s socioeconomics and location in real estate. You’ve heard the old adage about the three most important things in real estate. I’ll give you a hint, the first one is location. So are the next two. 

Yes, there is certainly racism. That sucks!  One of the best things about our move to Atlanta is experiencing more diversity. Most days I go to a park where I’m the only white guy in a big melting pot. Everyone gets along great. I won’t apologize for growing up mostly in Williamsville. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Augie said:

I make a joke about going to AA meetings, and you come back with this? Maybe I should have been more clear. My bad. Really. 

It’s more than race, it’s socioeconomics and location in real estate. You’ve heard the old adage about the three most important things in real estate. I’ll give you a hint, the first one is location. So are the next two. 

Yes, there is certainly racism. That sucks!  One of the best things about our move to Atlanta is experiencing more diversity. Most days I go to a park where I’m the only white guy in a big melting pot. Everyone gets along great. I won’t apologize for growing up mostly in Williamsville. 

Sorry.   I don't  think  it's  funny.  Money  discriminates. The system  is complicit. 

I live 20 miles  from downtown  Chicago.  BS on location.   Move to the North,  its different.

It's  socioeconomic. 

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Had a blast!!! 4 nights of fun with 3 couples who have been friends for more than 50 years. We met in a Queens schoolyard as kids.  One of the guys (some of you met him) went to UB and met his wife up there. They still live down here but bought the family home in Williamsville. We stayed in the Hampton Inn on Main Street. 

There are places to go, the food is GREAT, the homes are cheap compared to here, and the people are shockingly friendly. Aside from the brutal winters/snow storms, there is nothing not to like imo. I'm in good shape for my age, but shoveling snow is not an option, and I don't know if I could deal with multiple 24 inch snowfalls. That said, I am in love with the area.

I did not see 1 house with a  "FOR SALE" sign in Williamsville or Amherst. Not one. In fact, they were building beautiful houses near a church that we attended. Some of them were not even close to being completed and they had "SOLD" signs, as did a few of the lots.

I don't know what is happening in WNY but I DO know what is happening here. People with money in NYC are RUNNING out to the suburbs and buying up houses like I have never seen before. They are getting away from the riots, filth, and criminals that were released. Crime stats are through the roof and heading for 80's level. With people working from home, there is less need for cities. It looks like this is happening too Buffalo, but again, I am not from the area and cannot say. In any event, if you own a house in Williamsville/Amherst, congrats!!! :) It is a wonderful area and your property value must be skyrocketing! 

williamsville Amherst and East Aurora have been prime real estate in West New York for years

It's pretty damn expensive but it's gorgeous

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

williamsville Amherst and East Aurora have been prime real estate in West New York for years

It's pretty damn expensive but it's gorgeous

Thank You! Money talks,  BS walks. I grew up in S.Cheektowaga, W.Seneca schools.  Things are changing  and the money is fleeing. 

Thank You! Money talks,  BS walks. I grew up in S.Cheektowaga, W.Seneca schools.  Things are changing  and the money is fleeing. 

Parts of cheektowaga and West Seneca are still really nice. The parts that touch the city have some problems 

But South cheektowaga around stiglmeier Park is still really nice , and so is the area around maryvale school systems in cheektowaga

Real estate in those areas are well up over 10 20 years

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Sorry.   I don't  think  it's  funny.  Money  discriminates. The system  is complicit. 

I live 20 miles  from downtown  Chicago.  BS on location.   Move to the North,  its different.

It's  socioeconomic. 

I hear what you are saying. I said it’s socioeconomic and location. You agree it’s socioeconomic, then say it’s different to the north. That would mean we agree on both points. 

I don’t blame you for not thinking it’s funny. It is what it is. We bought in an area of Atlanta people made fun of to some degree. We couldn’t comfortably afford what we really wanted, so we kind of “settled”. We had to be reasonably close to the office. Farther out we could get much more house for the money, but we chose proximity to work (a/k/a location). Now? We are closer to town and work, and people aren’t making fun of our area any more. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I stay at the Hampton Inn on Main St when I get back to the area, then move downtown for game days. I absolutely LOVE all the stuff you can walk to and the great food. This was home to me for so many great years growing up! Williamsville and East Amherst warm my heart. Woodstream Farms was a place I’d ride my bike thru and dream (sometimes past midnight with a 12 pack strapped to the back of the bike, but that’s another story!). I still go there when I get back. 

We moved a lot growing up. Going by all the old houses and eating at my favorite places is a full time job! I need more than 3 meals/day to get it all done. I’ve even thought about a summer place up there as it’s still cheap compared to so many other areas. Long shot, but a real consideration. Tough sell with the wife I’m sure. She dreams of mountains, but maybe a home opener would sell her??? 

What about the southern tier down 219 by the ski resorts?  They are not mountains but you get someplace down there and find places to walk/climb if that is your thing.

https://wnyssb.org/

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

What about the southern tier down 219 by the ski resorts?  They are not mountains but you get someplace down there and find places to walk/climb if that is your thing.

https://wnyssb.org/

The wife wants (and I don’t disagree) something in the 3,500-4,000 foot elevation range where you get a climate that escapes the heat. After our son’s wedding in Florida next month we have a little NC “tour of towns” scheduled to scout around Highlands, Cashiers, Asheville and Blowing Rock. After the August heat in Florida, the NC mountains will probably be much appreciated! 

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

Parts of cheektowaga and West Seneca are still really nice. The parts that touch the city have some problems 

But South cheektowaga around stiglmeier Park is still really nice , and so is the area around maryvale school systems in cheektowaga

Real estate in those areas are well up over 10 20 years

Yup.

Things aren't  that expensive for people  coming in from The City.  Actually  downright cheap even in the posh areas like Williamsville, Amherst, E.Aurora...

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yup.

Things aren't  that expensive for people  coming in from The City.  Actually  downright cheap even in the posh areas like Williamsville, Amherst, E.Aurora...

If by the city, you mean New York City... Of course , a house in Amherst or East Aurora is nothing to them

To somebody living in the City of Buffalo.. a house in cheektowaga sometimes seems impossible to them, a house in East Aurora would be like a fairytale

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Augie said:

I hear what you are saying. I said it’s socioeconomic and location. You agree it’s socioeconomic, then say it’s different to the north. That would mean we agree on both points. 

I don’t blame you for not thinking it’s funny. It is what it is. We bought in an area of Atlanta people made fun of to some degree. We couldn’t comfortably afford what we really wanted, so we kind of “settled”. We had to be reasonably close to the office. Farther out we could get much more house for the money, but we chose proximity to work (a/k/a location). Now? We are closer to town and work, and people aren’t making fun of our area any more. 

I get paid by the hour, blue collar.   Even with my "management"  wife who makes more, we still qualify  for stimulus, but we take a small reduction.

There really is an "escape  velocity" here  for especially  the working  class.

Who the heck has a $3,000 mortgage?  We have 5 more years  left on house  and we are out.

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

If by the city, you mean New York City... Of course , a house in Amherst or East Aurora is nothing to them

To somebody living in the City of Buffalo.. a house in cheektowaga sometimes seems impossible to them, a house in East Aurora would be like a fairytale

Yup. Ain't  rosy for the working stiff.

I get paid by the hour, blue collar.   Even with my "management"  wife who makes more, we still qualify  for stimulus, but we take a small reduction.

There really is an "escape  velocity" here  for especially  the working  class.

Who the heck has a $3,000 mortgage?  We have 5 more years  left on house  and we are out.

Yup. Ain't  rosy for the working stiff.

I can buy a house in the City of Buffalo that is 1500 square feet For like 40-60 grand in spots

That house in cheektowaga. 120-170 grand

East Aurora: 200-300 grand lol

6 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I can buy a house in the City of Buffalo that is 1500 square feet For like 40-60 grand in spots

That house in cheektowaga. 120-170 grand

East Aurora: 200-300 grand lol

That's  exactly  like where I live here.  Just more diverse.  I can find a house  for cheaper  than my vehicle.  Decent too!

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

map-8-1-thumb.jpg

Why does it have to be black and white to be “diverse?” When I moved onto my street, I was a minority.  

• Like (+1) 1