Name Your Favorite Game Show Host (Present or Past)

20 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

I am pretty sure that the Party Game came on right after Definition ended each day.

Billy Van deserved a lifetime Emmy for the work he did on the Hilarious House of Frightenstein. Classic.

6943464F-8053-4AB9-94F9-F27ACE9CE858.jpeg

Chevy, I loved Frightenstein so much.  

It comes up in my minds eye every few years.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Chevy, I loved Frightenstein so much.  

It comes up in my minds eye every few years.

Here is the full first episode complete with the Vincent Price opening and closing and the March of the Martians theme song.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Here is the full first episode complete with the Vincent Price opening and closing and the March of the Martians theme song.

since your first reference today do you know how much I went back on this?

A whole hell of a lot, brother.  

btw, put me in the Bill Van is a genius category.

For those not in the know (and this is utterly unbelievable) there are 130 episodes of this show...all 130 were filmed over 9 months in 1971.

Billy Van played 8 characters on the show.  

Thank you so much for this today, Chevy.  I hadn’t thought about so many of the bits and characters For so long.  Griszelda?  Oh man!  The librarian.  Igor.  All these bits are such a treasure to my youth.

I can’t upvote you enough on this.

Edit:  it might be too much for my baby girl, but I so want to get her into this.

Edit 2:  the above was the first thing I went to afterwards today and I love the documentary at the end.

RIP, BV.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 7/28/2020 at 4:50 PM, ChevyVanMiller said:

Does anyone who grew up on the Canadian border remember watching "Definition" with Jim Perry?

"I'll give the zed and take an E, Jim." LOL

jim Perry.jpg

23 hours ago, qwksilver said:

Jim Perry had a good run in the 80's. Card Sharks and Sale of the Century.

image.jpeg

count me as a Jim Perry fan too. Absolutely love him on Card Sharks!! I am too young to have seen it live, but have watched it on re-runs for years. Great show and great host! 

image.jpeg.d7237c1f3d2dfcf061b20b4dd1b2b4f0.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

since your first reference today do you know how much I went back on this?

A whole hell of a lot, brother.  

btw, put me in the Bill Van is a genius category.

For those not in the know (and this is utterly unbelievable) there are 130 episodes of this show...all 130 were filmed over 9 months in 1971.

Billy Van played 8 characters on the show.  

Thank you so much for this today, Chevy.  I hadn’t thought about so many of the bits and characters For so long.  Griszelda?  Oh man!  The librarian.  Igor.  All these bits are such a treasure to my youth.

I can’t upvote you enough on this.

Edit:  it might be too much for my baby girl, but I so want to get her into this.

Edit 2:  the above was the first thing I went to afterwards today and I love the documentary at the end.

RIP, BV.

Yeah, it’s amazing that they did all of those episodes over 9 months. And I believe that Vincent Price filmed all of his spots over just a few days because they couldn’t afford him beyond that. Also, the Wolfman scenes are all cut from the box sets because they never had the rights to use all of the rock songs that he played and danced to.

So glad you are reconnecting with the show.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/28/2020 at 8:16 PM, BillsPride12 said:

David Ruprecht | Supermarket Sweep Wikia | Fandom

Was never a huge gameshow person but I always liked Supermarket Sweep for it's simplicity and well I like food

watched a re-run of this the other day on Netflix, and it didn’t age well for me. As a kid, I thought the show was riveting! Pretty Meh now (though agree the host was solid).

6 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Yeah, it’s amazing that they did all of those episodes over 9 months. And I believe that Vincent Price filmed all of his spots over just a few days because they couldn’t afford him beyond that. Also, the Wolfman scenes are all cut from the box sets because they never had the rights to use all of the rock songs that he played and danced to.

Wolfman getting cut out is a sin.

Here’s my fav one (of course):

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

whoa, not to trouble you, but you peaked my interest.

i understand the lapsing of rights to the songs, but can you explain the work around, or the “box sets” please?  Time permitting, I mean.

2 hours ago, Rico said:

Here's 4 more Gene Gene The Dancing Machines for those like me who can't get enough:

Was going to post the Popsicle Twins, but YouTube wants me to sign up for it because of "adult content".

• Haha (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

watched a re-run of this the other day on Netflix, and it didn’t age well for me. As a kid, I thought the show was riveting! Pretty Meh now (though agree the host was solid).

I hear ya.  I watched a couple re-runs on Netflix myself recently.  Keep in mind they only have season 1 on there so that might be part of the Meh factor.  I have been watching a lot of old shows on Netflix and Hulu since the Pandemic began and one thing I have really noticed is how bad a lot of shows were in Season 1.  I will say for me personally I still enjoyed the episodes of Supermarket Sweep I watched but it might've just been for the Nostalgia more than anything.  I loved that early 90's and for me childhood time period.  

• Like (+1) 2

23 hours ago, Rico said:

Clip Smith hosting Bowling For Dollars would've been GOLD.

I think Clip Smith hosted a sort of game show called Wegmans Let's Go to the Races in the mid-70's. 

15 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

whoa, not to trouble you, but you peaked my interest.

i understand the lapsing of rights to the songs, but can you explain the work around, or the “box sets” please?  Time permitting, I mean.

You can buy many of the episodes on DVD box sets. However, as I mentioned, they will not include the werewolf scenes because of the music rights issue.

Here’s an Amazon link:

https://www.amazon.com/Hilarious-House-Frightenstein-Three-Disc-Restored/dp/B00CNJ76YYYou can buy many of the episodes on DVD box sets. However, as I mentioned, they will not include the werewolf scenes because of the music rights issue.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

You can buy many of the episodes on DVD box sets. However, as I mentioned, they will not include the werewolf scenes because of the music rights issue.

Here’s an Amazon link:

https://www.amazon.com/Hilarious-House-Frightenstein-Three-Disc-Restored/dp/B00CNJ76YYYou can buy many of the episodes on DVD box sets. However, as I mentioned, they will not include the werewolf scenes because of the music rights issue.

Thank you, but I love those scenes most of all.  Additionally, in going through 4 episodes last night I experienced that first hand as only two of them on youtube had the full wolfman segments.

Get bent music rights holders.  Like they are going to profit just off of your content in their video.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1

On 7/30/2020 at 9:54 AM, Irv said:

I think Clip Smith hosted a sort of game show called Wegmans Let's Go to the Races in the mid-70's. 

Pretty sure it was Super Duper. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1