Name Your Favorite Game Show Host (Present or Past)

15 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I think other than a couple exceptions such as Ithaca and Hornell Wegman's was confined to the Rochester area market back then.

I live in Rochester. I'm pretty sure I remember him hosting. 

On 7/30/2020 at 9:54 AM, Irv said:

I think Clip Smith hosted a sort of game show called Wegmans Let's Go to the Races in the mid-70's. 

4 hours ago, dhg said:

Pretty sure it was Super Duper. 

It definitely was Super Duper that gave out the racing cards.   We never won 1 single time.  We even had EVERY horse BUT 1 one time.  Guess which 1 won?  :censored:

Still it was fun to watch.

• Like (+1) 3

Gene Rayburn on Match Game.

Match Game is amazing.  Richard Dawson sitting in the front row, quietly smoking a butt on camera...the various questions deliberately structured to include flirty, sexual innuendo...the entire thing completely non PC.  

The world was a different place in the '70s and so much better, at least in some ways.

• Like (+1) 2

Man...memories. Game shows were a staple of my childhood in the '70s. A lot of great ones in this thread. Here are a few of my faves: 

Allen Ludden ('Password')...the love of Betty White's life

1970s Password game show | Betty White, Allen Ludden, Jack Klugman ...

Bert Convy ('Tattletales')

Tattletales - November 11, 1975 - YouTube

Peter Tomarken ('Press Your Luck')

image.jpeg.dd74aab8a23c050e5d0bfaa0d76121f7.jpeg

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Tom Kennedy in 'Split Second'.  Chosen only because written on a desk in HS American History class, some wag had written 'Mr. W. gets his quiz questions from Split Second'.

And I am sure that will keep a few of you guessing...?

It's always interesting on what triggers a memory.   I just remembered Tom would read notes from viewers on what the definition of a "Split Second" was.  The one that comes to mind was "the time between the light turning green and the guy behind you beeping the horn."  It also happens to be the only one I remember.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/29/2020 at 8:54 PM, JR in Pittsburgh said:

watched a re-run of this the other day on Netflix, and it didn’t age well for me. As a kid, I thought the show was riveting! Pretty Meh now (though agree the host was solid).

Funny. I thought the EXACT same thing last weekend haha! Fun seeing all the old products and labels though. Love My Carpet carpet freshener! 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, dpberr said:

A vote for Marc Summers who hosted Double Dare.  

good call. That was THE show as a kid. 

I tried getting my kids to watch the new double dare and they’re very meh about it. The new one has Marc Summers as sort of not emcee, not the main host. 

29 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

good call. That was THE show as a kid. 

I tried getting my kids to watch the new double dare and they’re very meh about it. The new one has Marc Summers as sort of not emcee, not the main host. 

There are many excellent hosts on this list.

I chose Marc Summers because Double Dare was a transcendent game show.  Before Double Dare, there were no game shows involving children as contestants.  It ushered in an entirely new genre of television entertainment, and Summers was the face of it during it's best days.    

When you ask anyone about Double Dare, 9 out of 10 people will say Marc Summers.  There will be one that will mention the giant nose with the flags up the nostrils.  

• Haha (+1) 1

On 7/28/2020 at 2:58 PM, K-9 said:

image.thumb.jpeg.26461d762ebb065a5d74b08b8f1c44fe.jpeg

Just about the only answer I can think of at the moment. Then again, this was barely a "game show" as we know it today.

Asking me who is my favorite game show host is a lot like asking me "what was your favorite hemorrhoid?".