Star Lotulelei opting out for 2020

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

If I was in their position and told I had to lock myself away for 17 weeks I may well do, yes. 

Exactly. He needed his salary to feed his family. These guys don't for the most part. 

Yeah but I don’t think there is a hard number though. 

Everyone has their price, their current bank account and what they are willing to put their family through or risk themselves. 

I'm not even sure the percentage of players with families at all. Median age is 24 or so.   

8 minutes ago, jwhit34 said:

If Phillips is healthy, they still have Oliver, Butler, Phillips and Jefferson to rotate on inside. That should be very good. If all perform as expected it may be Star Who(?). Or if Oliver has a breakout year, A Star is Born.

...and then we get to welcome Star and his trash contract back the next year....

I actually love that 4 man rotation, but Star moving his contract down the road a year is frustrating.

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

...and then we get to welcome Star and his trash contract back the next year....

I actually love that 4 man rotation, but Star moving his contract down the road a year is frustrating.

I guess it'll also depend if they use there newfound cap space this year or let it roll over to next it could negate itself.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, jwhit34 said:

If Phillips is healthy, they still have Oliver, Butler, Phillips and Jefferson to rotate on inside. That should be very good. If all perform as expected it may be Star Who(?). Or if Oliver has a breakout year, A Star is Born.

dont forget Epenesa who is pretty decent in rushing from the inside. I am sure he will see some time at DT.

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I thought he might get cut actually 

No.  Maybe traded tho.  He has $7M in fully guaranteed salary in his next two seasons.   His whole $4.5M salary in 2020 (or 2021 with opt out) and and $2.5M of his following year’s salary are guaranteed.  Unless he is a total liability then there is really no way he won’t play at least one more season.  Unless the Bills trade him that is. 

3 hours ago, H2o said:

TSW is going to have to find a new whipping boy. Murphy, you are front and center now. :lol:

No need to repeat yourself.  ?

9 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

dont forget Epenesa who is pretty decent in rushing from the inside. I am sure he will see some time at DT.

Well, McD had stated that Epenesa will only play DE this season to avoid throwing too much at him.

12 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Ive said it a hundred times.  That contract was ridiculous.  I’ve liked what Beane has done overall, but that was worthy of firing a GM over. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Ive said it a hundred times.  That contract was ridiculous.  I’ve liked what Beane has done overall, but that was worthy of firing a GM over. 

Wow. Worthy of firing over? That's simply not true.

32 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I guess it'll also depend if they use there newfound cap space this year or let it roll over to next it could negate itself.

I hope so... if we can roll over his cap space into next year, then no harm no foul.   

I think, as currently constructed, we have a Championship caliber team.  No need to use his cap space on what will be a bizarre year anyway if we can roll it over and avoid  Star’s opt-out creating any kind of cap headache. 

55 minutes ago, MJS said:

Wow. Worthy of firing over? That's simply not true.

It was that bad of a contract.  The reworked one made it better but the original was an absolutely horrible contract for the Bills.  Again, it’s not what we’ve typically seen from Beane but he screwed the pooch on that one. 

31 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

It was that bad of a contract.  The reworked one made it better but the original was an absolutely horrible contract for the Bills.  Again, it’s not what we’ve typically seen from Beane but he screwed the pooch on that one. 

And never got even close to getting fired for it.

I haven't read any of the responses but i seriously hope people aren't be negative about this decision.  It doesn't matter how well you think he played, or if he would have been cut or not.

You don't know this guys medical history or his families medical history.  Maybe he has someone who is close that has pre-existing conditions that he is concerned about as he should.

Football fields and sidelines is just a pool of bacteria.   

Show a little respect during these difficult times.  

4 minutes ago, kota said:

I haven't read any of the responses but i seriously hope people aren't be negative about this decision.  It doesn't matter how well you think he played, or if he would have been cut or not.

You don't know this guys medical history or his families medical history.  Maybe he has someone who is close that has pre-existing conditions that he is concerned about as he should.

Football fields and sidelines is just a pool of bacteria.   

Show a little respect during these difficult times.  

I think for the most part people have been respectful of his decision. The chat has focussed on what it means for the Bills both in terms of 2020 roster construction and future cap hits.