Star Lotulelei opting out for 2020

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Agreed. 10 weeks is about the maximum you can keep people away from their kids in bubbles. A 17 week season? Too long. 

This.  I was hoping that they would’ve implemented something other than the regular schedule.  17 weeks with no bubble is gonna be tough.  I thought they might go with 8-12 games with each team having a bubble in their home towns, onto private jets into the stadium and back home.  

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I dunno.

My daughter is my world right now, but for $5M I could figure out how to deal with being gone for 4-5months.

Pretty sure our active duty military folks leave their families for longer stints and for way less money.

It can be done.

But what if you had millions in the bank and your starting QB opted out?  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Well, I envision each team having its own bubble. So a bubble in Buf, a bubble in NYC, a bubble in KC, etc.  Then the leave the bubble to go to games.  I think it would work well. 

You would probably need regional bubbles just because of the enormity of the league. Finding housing for 3000 of the largest people on the planet would be difficult. Without fans, you just need stadiums/fields with enough quality and ability to set up network cameras. With it looking like college football is delaying the inevitable, you probably find a center big time football. 

It would look something like this: 

OKC Base- Houston, Dallas, New Orleans and Denver (access to Dallas, OSU, OU) 

Columbus, OH- Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Cincinatti, (OSU, Ohio U, Miami Ohio)

Florida teams- Just set them on fire

Madison WI- Vikings, Bears, Lions, Packers

I don't know, I am just spit balling, but something like that. 

If you wanted to take it a step further, treat it like the world cups. Internal round robin to start. Re-organize the bubbles, test, rinse and repeat. 

12 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

That seems incredibly arbitrary. What happens at 11 weeks?

There are people all over the world that travel to work on fishing ships, oil rigs, technology capitals that see their family far less frequently.

I know people that live away from their families for months at a time abroad for work.

The difference is those are people who need the money. And I am not saying exactly 10 weeks but but it is in that range. 17 with potentially 4 more for a playoff run? That is too long for a bubble IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

That seems incredibly arbitrary. What happens at 11 weeks?

There are people all over the world that travel to work on fishing ships, oil rigs, technology capitals that see their family far less frequently.

I know people that live away from their families for months at a time abroad for work.

How many are multi millionaires?

Scenario:  you’re a starting QB in the nfl with millions in the bank.  Your wife and kids are really upset that you’re going to be gone for 4-6 months.  They ask you to please sit out this one season and stay safe at home quarantining with them.  Idk.....seems like an easy decision to stay home to me.  Can’t take that money to your grave.  Can’t get that time with your family and kids back.  Time is all we got....and you have to give up half a year with your loved ones.....so you can make some more money that you can’t to the grave with you....all while you are putting your safety at risk.

and then you have several other millionaires with families.....that are now playing without their QB.

Lots of nfl players NEED this year income for their futures.  In most cases, the most important players do not.

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

How many are multi millionaires?

Scenario:  you’re a starting QB in the nfl with millions in the bank.  Your wife and kids are really upset that you’re going to be gone for 4-6 months.  They ask you to please sit out this one season and stay safe at home quarantining with them.  Idk.....seems like an easy decision to stay home to me.  Can’t take that money to your grave.  Can’t get that time with your family and kids back.  Time is all we got....and you have to give up half a year with your loved ones.....so you can make some more money that you can’t to the grave with you....all while you are putting your safety at risk.

and then you have several other millionaires with families.....that are now playing without their QB.

Lots of nfl players NEED this year income for their futures.  In most cases, the most important players do not.

I dunno. going to work for 4-6 months to either make $30M to set up another 5 generations of descendants for life or $1m still seems like a great tradeoff to me. These guys have short careers and will spend way more time with their families than any normal working person ever will.

I don't really understand why 25 year old players have kids or wives anyway. Seems like a way smarter Idea to wait until they're retired,, but that's beside the point.

14 minutes ago, NewEra said:

But what if you had millions in the bank and your starting QB opted out?  

The matter wasnt about opting out, it was about whether going over 10 weeks in a bubble is too long.

Players are already opting out without the bubble. Maybe more would with a bubble.

But my point was, 10 weeks isnt some magic number that is impossible for humans to be gone that long.

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The difference is those are people who need the money. And I am not saying exactly 10 weeks but but it is in that range. 17 with potentially 4 more for a playoff run? That is too long for a bubble IMO.

@GunnerBill has chosen to opt out for the season. Noted. :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, GG said:

This actually sucks, because it makes it tougher to move him next year, which was the likely plan.

I wonder if this can be mitigated...

* "Replace" Star with a 1M player, similar to Corey Liuget last year.

* Move the balance, 7.1M of cap space, from this year to next year.

* Pay our Star's 7M of guarantees in 2021/2022 using the carryover created this year.

I love how i'm listening to WGR on the Radio.com app at work and Schopp/Bulldog, as of 3:15, haven't even mentioned Star optiing-out.  They've talked about the Patriots opt-outs, and a bunch of Marlins baseball discussion along with a whole bunch of random nonsense... but the one Bills player who opted-out, to lead the show...nothing.   

10 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I dunno. going to work for 4-6 months to either make $30M to set up another 5 generations of descendants for life or $1m still seems like a great tradeoff to me. These guys have short careers and will spend way more time with their families than any normal working person ever will.

I don't really understand why 25 year old players have kids or wives anyway. Seems like a way smarter Idea to wait until they're retired,, but that's beside the point.

Have you ever once thought about your potential great great great great grandkids?  This pandemic has taught me one thing.  Life is REALLY short and at a moments notice your life can change drastically.  If I were a professional athletes and I knew I didn’t ever have to worry about money and I was told I had to be away from wife and kids (not to mention parents that may be high risk) for half a year.....I’m confidant that I’d sit out.  This is coming from a guy that had open heart surgery a year ago.  Sometimes you just have to experience a life or death scenario before you can put a price tag on your life.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I love how i'm listening to WGR on the Radio.com app at work and Schopp/Bulldog, as of 3:15, haven't even mentioned Star optiing-out.  They've talked about the Patriots opt-outs, and a bunch of Marlins baseball discussion along with a whole bunch of random nonsense... but the one Bills player who opted-out, to lead the show...nothing.   

If youre still listening to those two during a year with no sports, that's on you. Enjoy your self-inflicted punishment. ?

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The matter wasnt about opting out, it was about whether going over 10 weeks in a bubble is too long.

Players are already opting out without the bubble. Maybe more would with a bubble.

But my point was, 10 weeks isnt some magic number that is impossible for humans to be gone that long.

Noted.  I just didn’t think @GunnerBill was being literal regarding 10 weeks.  More along the lines of 17 weeks plus the playoffs is too long

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

If youre still listening to those two during a year with no sports, that's on you. Enjoy your self-inflicted punishment. ?

No doubt.  I haven’t listened to them more than twice a year.....ever

3 hours ago, Irv said:

How do you go from $4.5M fully guaranteed to $150K?  That's got to be difficult.  I just don't see this season going more than one game.  All it will take is one team to get it bad.  Then the season is in shambles.    

sport trac has him earning 42 million career to date. No idea if opting out changes that number retroactively, but unlikely by a lot. 

It doesn’t take financial wizardry to live off of 150 for a year in most places to begin with. Add in that prior earning back stop and I’m suspecting cash flow wasn’t on the list of worries. 

3 hours ago, Irv said:

How do you go from $4.5M fully guaranteed to $150K?  That's got to be difficult.    

Very carefully, and hopefully with a lot of sound financial advice up to this point. 

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Agreed. 10 weeks is about the maximum you can keep people away from their kids in bubbles. A 17 week season? Too long. 

When my uncle was in the navy on sub deployment I’m pretty sure he went to sea for 6 months a number of times. But he wasn’t getting nfl money to do it. 

22 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

If I was in their position and told I had to lock myself away for 17 weeks I may well do, yes. 

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

When my uncle was in the navy on sub deployment I’m pretty sure he went to sea for 6 months a number of times. But he wasn’t getting nfl money to do it. 

Exactly. He needed his salary to feed his family. These guys don't for the most part. 

• Like (+1) 1

If Phillips is healthy, they still have Oliver, Butler, Phillips and Jefferson to rotate on inside. That should be very good. If all perform as expected it may be Star Who(?). Or if Oliver has a breakout year, A Star is Born.