Star Lotulelei opting out for 2020

12 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

It was the NFLPA that refused the bubble idea, not Goodell. 

Honestly, I don't believe the "bubble" idea would work for football (unless they shortened the season to 10 games). Likely have to be less than 10.

Edited by par73

Ok, so far it’s just Star for us. With the Jets shedding pro bowlers like molting moths and *Pats  undergoing an exodus akin to the Bible, are we golden for Tampa in February?

Suffering lifelong fans want to know.

Just now, par73 said:

Honestly, I don't believe the "bubble" idea would work for football (unless they shortened the season to 10 games).

Well, I envision each team having its own bubble. So a bubble in Buf, a bubble in NYC, a bubble in KC, etc.  Then the leave the bubble to go to games.  I think it would work well. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, par73 said:

Honestly, I don't believe the "bubble" idea would work for football (unless they shortened the season to 10 games). Likely have to be less than 10.

Agreed. 10 weeks is about the maximum you can keep people away from their kids in bubbles. A 17 week season? Too long. 

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Agreed. 10 weeks is about the maximum you can keep people away from their kids in bubbles. A 17 week season? Too long. 

Surely they can run tests on family members for a series of days (kind of like they're doing right now for players reporting to camp) so that they can come visit the bubble, no?

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I dunno.

My daughter is my world right now, but for $5M I could figure out how to deal with being gone for 4-5months.

Pretty sure our active duty military folks leave their families for longer stints and for way less money.

It can be done.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Why not just do a world cup like tournament? Even if they don't do the re-draw.

Round robin against your division, top two teams go to elimination round. Have two games a night, like Sunday, Monday Thursday...then everyone gets abye week to start the knock out stages.

Could be over and done with in a month or two and the tv revenue would be insane.

17 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Well, I envision each team having its own bubble. So a bubble in Buf, a bubble in NYC, a bubble in KC, etc.  Then the leave the bubble to go to games.  I think it would work well. 

I heard floated out there an idea to have 4 divisional bubbles. Each bubble would contain 8 teams and then each team would play 10 games. The first three games would be against your divisional opponents and then the next 4 would be against another division and then the final three would be against your divisional opponents again. Or they could rotate out following a league wide bye week to play 4 more games against another division to bring the total to 14 games if they find a good procedure. 

I think that idea is much more plausible to have 4 separate bubbles to contain these massive teams and support staffs. If I was the league I would push back the start of the season until October and use August to put in this logistical plan to do a 10-14 week season. 

3 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Didn't he have a heart condition when he was drafted?

I remember hearing that. Honestly I think it would be better for him to opt out. I do think that he isn't going to be a major loss for this team. They rolled 5 deep with starting caliber DT's. Losing one isn't going to be a huge loss.

He's not old but in a couple of years he will be.  The Bills gave him a guaranteed contract including money in 2020 and 2021.  By 2022 he probably won't be the same guy he was expected to be. 

Well, that's how the breaks go, I guess.  I can't blame him for not wanting to be at risk, or living inside whatever bubble the league directs.

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

I am starting to see a Bit of trend with the early list..

Alot of BIG GUYs on the list (12 OL/DL) and Obesity is a area to look out for with COVID.

The BIG GUYS are what worries me about the NFL, compared to other pro sports.   Most 20 something athletes are extremely low risk, but 300+ lbers are high risk even at a young age. 

With no bubble,  a couple outbreaks are likely over 5 months of training camp and reg season.   Looking at national positive rates, it seems reasonable to expect more than 100 players to test positive throughout the season.   Figure out what % of NFL positives could be super heavy guys, and the probability of at least 1 COVID fatality seems probable.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Reks Ryan said:

The BIG GUYS are what worries me about the NFL, compared to other pro sports.   Most 20 something athletes are extremely low risk, but 300+ lbers are high risk even at a young age. 

With no bubble,  a couple outbreaks are likely over 5 months of training camp and reg season.   Looking at national positive rates, it seems reasonable to expect more than 100 players to test positive throughout the season.   Figure out what % of NFL positives could be super heavy guys, and the probability of at least 1 COVID fatality seems probable.

Looks like Pierce used it in his analysis to play or opt out

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

That seems incredibly arbitrary. What happens at 11 weeks?

There are people all over the world that travel to work on fishing ships, oil rigs, technology capitals that see their family far less frequently.

I know people that live away from their families for months at a time abroad for work.

Edited by BullBuchanan