Has MLB shown a "non-bubble" plan is doomed for failure?

8 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

The UK reopened much better than most places here did while still controlling and continuing to lower case counts.  All hell broke loose in most places in the US while reopening.  New York showed how to do it properly and effectively but nobody bothered to pay attention.  So yes, they should have far fewer cases because there are far fewer places to catch it in the UK than in the US currently.

Yeah, New York really showed us. Get more infected than anywhere on the planet. Amazing job, New York.

But they got the antibodies from it, so the disease ran its course.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

yes. the virus is about 4-6x more contagious than the seasonal flu. yet there are still people comparing it to the flu. 

this is why opening schools up will be an epic disaster, if schools open up communities will shatter and we can kiss sports goodbye in America until 2022 season 

It is just amazing to me how these schools come up with these elaborate plans but either willfully turn a blind eye to or don't really understand how many points of failure there are for them.  Everywhere you look there are points of failure in their plans...especially with school buses being a small enclosed place with poor ventilation and close proximity with lots of people that makes social distancing impossible.  

Then factor in how many kids are actually going to follow these rules and how many times a day the rules are going to be broken or forgot about, etc...it only takes 1 time for it to spread.  In addition kids 10 years and older have been found to spread it at the same rate as adults do, so anyone in 4th grade and above basically needs to take the utmost precautions and most of these kids at that age are not going to care or understand the seriousness.  Plenty of them will probably try and "be cool" by not following the rules, etc...

It's going to be an epic disaster and one I am not putting my kids through...they are staying home until there is no risk to them going back, if that means until they graduate highschool then so be it.

5 minutes ago, MJS said:

Yeah, New York really showed us. Get more infected than anywhere on the planet. Amazing job, New York.

Yeah, that isn't even close to the truth but it's amazing what people ignorantly will believe in spite of the facts presented to them.  We controlled it here by strict adherence to guidelines set forth and no crying over wearing a mask in public. Antibodies at BEST last 2-3 months and are only present in a very small number of people so that point is pretty much false and/or irrelevant.

US Cases:

image.thumb.png.2e9d70e9900222862c20ced4d009cd00.png

New York State Cases:

image.thumb.png.22a2721310cecb491a8d7366b6b64dcd.png

Edited by matter2003
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

It is just amazing to me how these schools come up with these elaborate plans but either willfully turn a blind eye to or don't really understand how many points of failure there are for them.  Everywhere you look there are points of failure in their plans...especially with school buses being a small enclosed place with poor ventilation and close proximity with lots of people that makes social distancing impossible.  

Then factor in how many kids are actually going to follow these rules and how many times a day the rules are going to be broken or forgot about, etc...it only takes 1 time for it to spread.  In addition kids 10 years and older have been found to spread it at the same rate as adults do, so anyone in 4th grade and above basically needs to take the utmost precautions and most of these kids at that age are not going to care or understand the seriousness.  Plenty of them will probably try and "be cool" by not following the rules, etc...

It's going to be an epic disaster and one I am not putting my kids through...they are staying home until there is no risk to them going back, if that means until they graduate highschool then so be it.

Yeah, that isn't even close to the truth but it's amazing what people ignorantly will believe in spite of the facts presented to them.  We controlled it here by strict adherence to guidelines set forth and no crying over wearing a mask in public. Antibodies at BEST last 2-3 months and are only present in a very small number of people so that point is pretty much false and/or irrelevant.

Is there an eyeroll reaction we can use for those that keep repping NY's response to COVID?

I mean, congrats, NY hasn't yet reached to the re-opening levels in NYC of places that are seeing spikes, so I guess we'll see how this plays out if they ever do.   

That being said, how do you explain Cali?  They've mimicked NY's response with a far different outcome so far.    

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Is there an eyeroll reaction we can use for those that keep repping NY's response to COVID?

I mean, congrats, NY hasn't yet gotten to the re=opening levels of places that are seeing spikes so I guess we'll see how this plays out if they ever do.   That being said, how do you explain Cali?  They've mimicked NY's response with a far different outcome so far.    

You can eyeroll all you want. There is no way if you look at the graph I posted above that you keep levels that low and flat for 2 months without doing something right. In fact just the other day we had the lowest new case counts, hospitalizations and deaths in New York State since mid March.

It all comes down to how much buy in the people here have towards doing things right and stricter guidelines...there are some things like gyms that still aren't reopened here in NY...malls still aren't open, etc..

We also opened in controlled phases divided into regions where each region had to meet 7 key metrics at each phase for 2 straight weeks before going to the next phase.  Each region also had to have a designated number of contact tracers prior to even starting phase 1 based on population.

I just don't think Cali had the buy in from the people nor the stricter phased guidelines, so like the other states some places were stricter and some were looser. Are gyms open there? Bars? Malls? 

In effect, most of these places were simply too aggressive and fast with their reopening efforts where New York was very cautious.  It turned out we were right and they were wrong.

And you people in other places eyerolling are the reason we can't go to Canada still. Get your ***** together.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’ve been saying on here, FOR YEARS, that the NBA is the best run league. It isn’t all that close and never has been.

In terms of league size they SHOULD have the easiest time managing this...teams only have what, 12 players? Versus 26 for MLB, 23 for NHL and 55 for NFL

Edited by matter2003

6 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Really? You want the facts?

2nd highest case count in the US. BY FAR the most deaths. They are still 6th highest in active cases. 2nd highest in cases per 1 million population. 2nd highest in deaths per 1 million population. A death rate of 7.4%, one of the highest in the nation (there are states well below 1% even).

New York got ravaged and they botched things at every turn. They required tons of aid and were short PPE despite being warned years ago that they were short if a flu pandemic ever were to hit. Cuomo and De Blasio were wrong countless times and telling everyone they had things under control and they didn't. De Blasio told people to go see a movie in March.

What evidence do you have that New York had a proper response?

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’ve been saying on here, FOR YEARS, that the NBA is the best run league. It isn’t all that close and never has been.

When you really look at your players as "Partners" and Not Employees you get thinking centered around making sound decisions for your Partners

• Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

You can eyeroll all you want. There is no way if you look at the graph I posted above that you keep levels that low and flat for 2 months without doing something right. In fact just the other day we had the lowest new case counts, hospitalizations and deaths in New York State since mid March.

It all comes down to how much buy in the people here have towards doing things right and stricter guidelines...there are some things like gyms that still aren't reopened here in NY...malls still aren't open, etc..

We also opened in controlled phases divided into regions where each region had to meet 7 key metrics at each phase for 2 straight weeks before going to the next phase.  

I just don't think Cali had the buy in from the people nor the stricter phased guidelines, so like the other states some places were stricter and some were looser. Are gyms open there? Bars? Malls? 

And you people in other places eyerolling are the reason we can't go to Canada still. Get your ***** together.

I don't think keeping things closed indefinitely is an acceptable response to a virus that is relatively harmless to the vast, vast majority of people.  

I do believe in wearing masks (and everywhere I go in hot-spot Atlanta, believe it or not,  people are wearing masks).   I do believe in social distancing.  I even believed in the limited lock down.  

That said, eventually you need to re-open, and when you do, this will likely reappear in NYC.  

America has a ton of densely populated cities and when you re-open densely populated areas with no vaccine, COVID spikes.   Masks help.  Distancing helps.  But the spikes will occur.  

We don't all subscribe to praising a state that is responsible for a majority of COVID death in this country, while bragging about it's current low case counts as it's businesses and restaurants go under.

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 4

29 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

yes. the virus is about 4-6x more contagious than the seasonal flu. yet there are still people comparing it to the flu. 

this is why opening schools up will be an epic disaster, if schools open up communities will shatter and we can kiss sports goodbye in America until 2022 season 

In Fairfax County, 10th biggest school system in US, they decided for first quarter of 2020-2021 to go remote teaching despite reports it was a disaster mostly due to pressure from teachers' union.  In general Virginia is doing well for COVID but they have been proactive about it needing to take a hammer to some idiots.  Their definitions of "essential" for businesses however seemed to determined by state contracts like those with DOT.

16 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I mean, congrats, NY hasn't yet reached to the re-opening levels in NYC of places that are seeing spikes, so I guess we'll see how this plays out if they ever do.   

That being said, how do you explain Cali?  They've mimicked NY's response with a far different outcome so far.    

Yeah, except California has done way better. They have more cases but only 8,500 deaths compared to New York's 32,700.

Nobody is going to seriously stop the spread. It's just not going to happen.

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Really? You want the facts?

2nd highest case count in the US. BY FAR the most deaths. They are still 6th highest in active cases. 2nd highest in cases per 1 million population. 2nd highest in deaths per 1 million population. A death rate of 7.4%, one of the highest in the nation (there are states well below 1% even).

New York got ravaged and they botched things at every turn. They required tons of aid and were short PPE despite being warned years ago that they were short if a flu pandemic ever were to hit. Cuomo and De Blasio were wrong countless times and telling everyone they had things under control and they didn't. De Blasio told people to go see a movie in March.

What evidence do you have that New York had a proper response?

Yeah and let's also fail to mention that at the time this was all still new and nobody really knew how to handle it appropriately.  We sure as hell didn't have all of the knowledge to the secondary things that need to be looked for like blood clots, etc that kill people, and there were NO effective treatments at the time or antibodies to use for people.  No Remdesivir, dexamethasone or antibody treatments, so yeah common sense tells you more people should have died since they didn't know how to treat it and had nothing to combat it other than Oxygen and ventilators.  In large part BECAUSE of this, we now know about and have more treatments available.

Evidence? Look at the graphs above showing case counts for NYS and the US.  That's all the evidence you need.  2 months of low case counts and just recently the lowest new cases, hospitalizations and deaths all while other places are exploding. Because we did it right and are STILL doing it right.  Very few mask crybabies here, and if you find one you also will likely find someone ready to fight them for not having it on.

29 minutes ago, MJS said:

Are you serious?  Really???

28 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Yeah, that isn't even close to the truth but it's amazing what people ignorantly will believe in spite of the facts presented to them.  We controlled it here by strict adherence to guidelines set forth and no crying over wearing a mask in public. 

Correction: Lots of crying, bitching (mostly at governor) and cursing in NY.

11 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Yeah and let's also fail to mention that at the time this was all still new and nobody really knew how to handle it appropriately.  We sure as hell didn't have all of the knowledge to the secondary things that need to be looked for like blood clots, etc that kill people, and there were NO effective treatments at the time or antibodies to use for people.  No Remdesivir, dexamethasone or antibody treatments, so yeah common sense tells you more people should have died since they didn't know how to treat it and had nothing to combat it other than Oxygen and ventilators.  In large part BECAUSE of this, we now know about and have more treatments available.

Evidence? Look at the graphs above showing case counts for NYS and the US.  That's all the evidence you need.  2 months of low case counts and just recently the lowest new cases, hospitalizations and deaths all while other places are exploding. Because we did it right and are STILL doing it right.  Very few mask crybabies here, and if you find one you also will likely find someone ready to fight them for not having it on.

That's not evidence of a proper response. That's evidence of New York getting hit first and hard and the disease running its course.

You really think that New Yorkers are all just good boys and girls who listened and wore masks and were just better citizens than everyone else in the US? How pompous is that? There are cities and states that have taken it just as seriously if not more and haven't gotten hit nearly as hard. And California has done everything New York has done and been far more strict, if you ask me.

Edited by MJS

57 minutes ago, Tisker A Tasker said:

Somehow the Premier League was able to play without a bubble for nearly three months with only 20 positive tests. More contact in soccer than baseball as well.  Perhaps there is something they are doing right that the NFL can learn from.

Here's the data:

Round 1: 17-18 May - 748 tested, with six testing positive from three clubs.
Round 2: 19-22 May - 996 tested, with two testing positive from two clubs.
Round 3: 25-26 May - 1,008 tested, with four testing positive from two clubs.
Round 4: 28-29 May - 1,130 tested, with zero testing positive.
Round 5: 1-2 June - 1,197 tested, with one testing positive.
Round 6: 4-5 June - 1,195 tested, with zero testing positive.
Round 7: 8-9 June - 1,213 tested, with one testing positive.
Round 8: 11-12 June - 1,200 tested, with two testing positive from two clubs.
Round 9: 15-16 June - 1,541 tested, with one testing positive.
Round 10: 17-21 June - 1,829 tested, with one testing positive.
Round 11: 22-28 June - 2,250 tested, with one testing positive.
Round 12: 29 June-5 July - 1,973 tested, with zero testing positive.
Round 13: 6-12 July - 2,071 tested, with one testing positive.
Round 14: 13-19 July - 2,208 tested, with zero testing positive.

Round 15: 20-26 July - 1,574 tested, with zero testing positive.

The Premiere League plays in Europe where the virus is under control more so. That's a big difference.

Can't imagine the NFLPA agreeing to a bubble for six months.  If you compare the time of the NBA bubble, they arrived in Orlando 2 to 3 weeks ago, but Sept 11th will be down to 4 teams left.  That's about 3 weeks longer than NFL training camps will last and the amount of players on four NBA teams is less than one NFL roster.

The only players I could see going for it would be the last couple of players on to make the team.  On the Bills a guy like the DE Johnson going for it as if this season gets canceled, he'd basically be fighting two rookies classes for a roster spot.  Not good odds for a guy that low on the roster to begin with.

WRT to MLS, didn't two teams drop out?  So how successful was that?

The NFL could pull this thing off if they do these 6 things.

1. Buy a 5,000 acre island.

2.  Build 7 low end football stadiums cheaper than high school ones.

3. Build a few very nice apartment building to house teams, families and strippers.

4. There is one small Walmart and every other building is a restaurant, bar or strip club. There could be a bowling alley and a par 3  9 hole golf course but the players would have to pay for it.

5. Once you are tested safe to be on the island you cannot leave until the season is over.

6. There is a small police force and a small hospital.

If the NFL does this we might be able to watch football this year.