Has MLB shown a "non-bubble" plan is doomed for failure?

Honestly it is not looking good right now for how the NFL wants to do things.  Baseball has a major issue after a few games with games having to be cancelled and the Marlins with 14 players testing positive...they also admitted they knowingly played a game with 4 players that had tested positive...I mean how is this even possible that the MLB didn't know about those positive tests??

The NFL has far more players on each team than the MLB, granted they are not travelling as much but they are still doing the same thing, going in and out of places that may be hot spots at any given time...I just don't see how this is going to work the way they want it to...kind of similar how I don't see how these schools plans to reopen are going to work they way they want it to.

I can foresee at least one team having 15-20 positive tests within a few weeks of starting the season and a game or two has to be cancelled and then they have to re-evaluate their plans and may have to have an extended in-season shutdown to come up with a better plan, like going to multiple bubbles and having games played more evenly through Thursday-Sunday at the same facility or have only a few facilities hosting games...

I just don't see any way where we complete a season without serious issues and/or in season shutdowns with the current plan they are using.

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think the NFL does need to go to a bubble.

Exactly why I said they need to start one month later this year. Bubble up in September and prepare for that all next month, and then start October. 

• Like (+1) 1

Somehow the Premier League was able to play without a bubble for nearly three months with only 20 positive tests. More contact in soccer than baseball as well.  Perhaps there is something they are doing right that the NFL can learn from.

Here's the data:

Round 1: 17-18 May - 748 tested, with six testing positive from three clubs.
Round 2: 19-22 May - 996 tested, with two testing positive from two clubs.
Round 3: 25-26 May - 1,008 tested, with four testing positive from two clubs.
Round 4: 28-29 May - 1,130 tested, with zero testing positive.
Round 5: 1-2 June - 1,197 tested, with one testing positive.
Round 6: 4-5 June - 1,195 tested, with zero testing positive.
Round 7: 8-9 June - 1,213 tested, with one testing positive.
Round 8: 11-12 June - 1,200 tested, with two testing positive from two clubs.
Round 9: 15-16 June - 1,541 tested, with one testing positive.
Round 10: 17-21 June - 1,829 tested, with one testing positive.
Round 11: 22-28 June - 2,250 tested, with one testing positive.
Round 12: 29 June-5 July - 1,973 tested, with zero testing positive.
Round 13: 6-12 July - 2,071 tested, with one testing positive.
Round 14: 13-19 July - 2,208 tested, with zero testing positive.

Round 15: 20-26 July - 1,574 tested, with zero testing positive.

Edited by Tisker A Tasker
  • Like (+1) 3

NFL definitely needs to bubble teams, and it's much more feasible than in MLB because the team can just stay on top of it during the week and they only travel once per week / play one team per week.

Also, what protocols are even in place for baseball players/coaches/staff, specifically when they leave the facilities?  I don't even know... I do know what the NFL has put in place.

Edited by SCBills

9 minutes ago, Tisker A Tasker said:

Somehow the Premier League was able to play without a bubble for nearly two months with only 20 positive tests. More contact in soccer than baseball as well.  Perhaps there is something they are doing right that the NFL can learn from.

England has done vastly better than the US has.

• Like (+1) 4

10 minutes ago, Tisker A Tasker said:

Somehow the Premier League was able to play without a bubble for nearly two months with only 20 positive tests. More contact in soccer than baseball as well.  Perhaps there is something they are doing right that the NFL can learn from.

Yeah the Nations there have had it under control.  So unless that occurs here Bubbling has proven effective for NBA thus far

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Tisker A Tasker said:

The UK reopened much better than most places here did while still controlling and continuing to lower case counts.  All hell broke loose in most places in the US while reopening.  New York showed how to do it properly and effectively but nobody bothered to pay attention.  So yes, they should have far fewer cases because there are far fewer places to catch it in the UK than in the US currently.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Tisker A Tasker said:

that is because the PL had a proper plan and was monitoring their players throughout the entire break between March and June.  They were literally crafting meal plans every single day so players never had to leave their homes or eat food outside what was approved by the clubs. 

there is also far less players on an football team than any american football team. there is no way the NFL can test 300+ people per team every week and do contact tracing, football is not returning on time this season. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Tisker A Tasker said:

What was the community prevalence where they played?  It makes a difference........

Premier League, That's UK, right?  Though I'm a bit confused because I thought I read their season would start 12 September?

image.thumb.png.e9520e88593062e64bcba969e26b5ead.png

(Also this article makes it sound like it's pretty bubbled or at least restricted?)

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Yeah the Nations there have had it under control.  So unless that occurs here Bubbling has proven effective for NBA thus far

The bubble's worked well for MLS as well.  I'm just wondering if there's a way we can make football work without one.

Just now, MAJBobby said:

yes. the virus is about 4-6x more contagious than the seasonal flu. yet there are still people comparing it to the flu. 

this is why opening schools up will be an epic disaster, if schools open up communities will shatter and we can kiss sports goodbye in America until 2022 season 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Tisker A Tasker said:

The bubble's worked well for MLS as well.  I'm just wondering if there's a way we can make football work without one.

Doesn't seem it.  The Sports that have Bubbled are controlling, the one that has not already postponing games again what three days after "opening day"

9 minutes ago, Tisker A Tasker said:

That's because Covid is barely a thing in the UK right now. They've had 18,000 new cases in the past month. We have roughly 4 times that many per day.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I am still just floored by how they knowingly played a game with 4 players who tested positive and MLB either was OK with it or completely clueless that it happened.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Penfield45 said:

yes. the virus is about 4-6x more contagious than the seasonal flu. yet there are still people comparing it to the flu. 

this is why opening schools up will be an epic disaster, if schools open up communities will shatter and we can kiss sports goodbye in America until 2022 season 

Yep that is why my family is "bubbling" school with Virtual Option this year

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What was the community prevalence where they played?  It makes a difference........

Premier League, That's UK, right?  Though I'm a bit confused because I thought I read their season would start 12 September?

(Also this article makes it sound like it's pretty bubbled or at least restricted?)

That article's great.  Thank you for sharing it. I'd say what they are doing goes well beyond what baseball's done.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's when the new season is expected to start. They just finished their season this past weekend.