Voluntary Opt outs

32 minutes ago, The Dean said:

I don't generally go all "conspiracy theory" but something seems fishy about the Pats* long list of opt-outs. Hmmmmm?

It could just be I need a break from Belichick for a year and I'll sacrifice money to do it.

• Haha (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, The Dean said:

I don't generally go all "conspiracy theory" but something seems fishy about the Pats* long list of opt-outs. Hmmmmm?

I prefer to think that players don't want to play for the " Patriot Way" anymore.

I'm interested to see how many FA's next year want to stay in NE or move on to a new team.

Guys like Thuney and Andrews.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

my thought is the NFL will take the position of "no stipend, season will not count, but we will  not fine players as the optics on that will be a PR disaster". 

I could see that, but the NFL has worked hard to have rules and things in order even in this chaos. I could see as much PR disaster if they allow people to jump ship when the season gets tough.

Plus, the logistics of : “okay, you played 12 games but now want out, season doesn’t count.” Seems to be a problem...

all weird angles we will have to wait and see on. Either way, my take is that the risk is pretty well known right now, if you show up to camp it’s cause you’re willing to take the risk. Not sure much could happen to justify changing that willingness that wouldn’t be dramatic enough to call the season. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

It could just be I need a break from Belichick for a year and I'll sacrifice money to do it.

That was always one of the things people pointed out about Brady. That he set an example as the top guy and still putting up with Belichick's *****.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

That was always one of the things people pointed out about Brady. That he set an example as the top guy and still putting up with Belichick's *****.

It'll be interesting to see if Belichick takes a different approach with Newton.

12 hours ago, Limeaid said:

For teams with money like Bills I think they will opt for charter flights when they can find.

All NFL teams charter for all games. 

One slight change may be that the airplane stays put instead of gets swapped out as some are, to lessen the chance of contamination, but that would be part of the agreement, and it would be treated again regardless.

7 hours ago, sherpa said:

All NFL teams charter for all games. 

One slight change may be that the airplane stays put instead of gets swapped out as some are, to lessen the chance of contamination, but that would be part of the agreement, and it would be treated again regardless.

The Pats* actually own their own jet. No charter necessary. 

Perhaps the best thing a team can do, short of owning their own vehicle, is to procure a jet (and pilots) for the season. Given the current state of air transportation, they should be able to negotiate reasonable terms.

25 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Perhaps the best thing a team can do, short of owning their own vehicle, is to procure a jet (and pilots) for the season. Given the current state of air transportation, they should be able to negotiate reasonable terms.

Much, much more practical to charter from an airline, especially this year.

767's are extremely expensive to store and maintain when not flying, and NFL teams have nowhere near the demand to justify it.

These transportation solutions are in place and work well.

Late thought.

They can get the same pilots to fly their charters to all away games. It's not normal, but a few teams have done it. Costs a little more, but they get folks on the airline's seniority list that they charter from. Makes a bit more sense than paying someone full time with all the training and other costs associated.

Still, almost every team doesn't care, and who flies them varies week to week, and is handled through normal contractual rules.

Edited by sherpa

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

Saints have rented a hotel for voluntary bubbling. They say about 150 of 180 players/personnel are expected to stay.

This is what all teams should do.  If they want someone to visit they would need to be tested.  We have seen how well it has worked out for the MLB.  NBA and NHL are doing it right. 

19 minutes ago, 17islongenough said:

This is what all teams should do.  If they want someone to visit they would need to be tested.  We have seen how well it has worked out for the MLB.  NBA and NHL are doing it right. 

Well, de facto bubbling for the NFL is patently impractical. Think about the logistics of hosting 2 games at a single venue in a single week.

Now expand that idea to even half an NFL schedule.

Your proposal for all teams to bubble their players at a hotel, however, is quite reasonable IMO.

6 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Well, de facto bubbling for the NFL is patently impractical. Think about the logistics of hosting 2 games at a single venue in a single week.

Now expand that idea to even half an NFL schedule.

Your proposal for all teams to bubble their players at a hotel, however, is quite reasonable IMO.

That is what I meant.  They have to have a middle ground between NBA and MLB.  The reason why the MLB has seen some covid cases is because the Cards and Marlins went out on the town.  Its almost like they need to be babysat.