Voluntary Opt outs

12 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Correct so I don’t expect any more 

I could see guys leaving after the "opt out " timeframe. Things can change, and some may decide in 2 weeks they are not comfortable based on changing numbers, conditions etc

10 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I could see guys leaving after the "opt out " timeframe. Things can change, and some may decide in 2 weeks they are not comfortable based on changing numbers, conditions etc

Certainly possible, especially given the unpredictable times that we are in. The reason I don’t “expect” more is because the original deadline was yesterday. It got technically extended because the CBA hasn’t been signed, but I think most players will have made their decision whether to opt out or report already. 

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

I would imagine that leaving without “opting out” would be something akin to a holdout, and unexcused absence that would result in fines and the season not counting?

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Interesting, and makes sense.  I doubt very many guys who risk life and limb every time they step on the field are overly concerned about a virus from which, statistically, they have very little risk.

12 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

The current issues in baseball are probably going to fuel more opt outs. They have far less people involved and have already had to scrap a bunch of games. 

I think it is more of a sign of what not to do as a player to protect themselves. The difference between MLB and nfl is the amount of travel and number of days spent in the other city. When nfl teams travel they Board a team charter, get in the day before the game, check in, have meetings, eat at the hotel, go to bed, get up, go to the stadium, and get back on the plane after the game. In baseball they are there for multiple days and the teams/league either didn’t set expectations or the players are stupid but both the marlins and cardinals went out to restaurants and clubs in Groups in different cities as has beeN Reported. The dumbest thing you can do. In addition, it’s been reported that most or all of these baseball guys are asymptomatic. So I don’t think the MLB issues will all of a sudden scare an nfl player from a health perspective watching them test positive if they weren’t already concerned about the risk. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

11 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I would imagine that leaving without “opting out” would be something akin to a holdout, and unexcused absence that would result in fines and the season not counting?

my thought is the NFL will take the position of "no stipend, season will not count, but we will  not fine players as the optics on that will be a PR disaster". 

Edited by plenzmd1

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

FYI on wondering if anyone else didn’t report 

Yolo, I've lost track - how did we get down to 80?  EJ Gaines and Star Lotulelei opted out.  Rayray McCloud and someone else I can't name at the moment [edit: OL Garrett McGhin] cut.  Mongo Feliciano on some kind of IR list.  Didn't we need 3 more?

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yolo, I've lost track - how did we get down to 80?  EJ Gaines and Star Lotulelei opted out.  Rayray McCloud and someone else I can't name at the moment cut.  Mongo Feliciano on some kind of IR list.  Didn't we need 3 more?

Covid List guys don’t count. Actually Mongo is still on active roster for now 

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yolo, I've lost track - how did we get down to 80?  EJ Gaines and Star Lotulelei opted out.  Rayray McCloud and someone else I can't name at the moment cut.  Mongo Feliciano on some kind of IR list.  Didn't we need 3 more?

do the Covid IR guys not count right now?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Covid List guys don’t count. Actually Mongo is still on active roster for now 

Ah!  Ok

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Depending upon how the protocols work in practice I can definitely see some guys being like "nope, not down with this" after they live with it for a while.

But honestly I think people have the info they pay attention to and their mindset pretty much already.

27 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think it is more of a sign of what not to do as a player to protect themselves. The difference between MLB and nfl is the amount of travel and number of days spent in the other city. When nfl teams travel they Board a team charter, get in the day before the game, check in, have meetings, eat at the hotel, go to bed, get up, go to the stadium, and get back on the plane after the game. In baseball they are there for multiple days and the teams/league either didn’t set expectations or the players are stupid but both the marlins and cardinals went out to restaurants and clubs in Groups in different cities as has beeN Reported. The dumbest thing you can do. In addition, it’s been reported that most or all of these baseball guys are asymptomatic. So I don’t think the MLB issues will all of a sudden scare an nfl player from a health perspective watching them test positive if they weren’t already concerned about the risk. 

Hopefully it will be a "lessons learned" for the NFL teams on how to protect guys during travel, because I think there typically is a bit of free time for the team in an away city.

For example for the playoff game a horde of Bills players reportedly descended on a glitzy jewelry shop where they relieved their pockets of some serious $$

14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Ah!  Ok

Depending upon how the protocols work in practice I can definitely see some guys being like "nope, not down with this" after they live with it for a while.

But honestly I think people have the info they pay attention to and their mindset pretty much already.

Hopefully it will be a "lessons learned" for the NFL teams on how to protect guys during travel, because I think there typically is a bit of free time for the team in an away city.

For example for the playoff game a horde of Bills players reportedly descended on a glitzy jewelry shop where they relieved their pockets of some serious $$

There was more time during the playoff game, they got there earlier I think. Sal was talking about it yesterday on radio because travels with the team, they are typically in a bit of a bubble due to their tight schedule. 

11 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

There was more time during the playoff game, they got there earlier I think. Sal was talking about it yesterday on radio because travels with the team, they are typically in a bit of a bubble due to their tight schedule. 

With LaCosse opting out Ryan Izzo (career stats of 6-114-1) becomes the wily TE veteran for the Pats*.

36 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

For teams with money like Bills I think they will opt for charter flights when they can find.

They will also get entire floors of hotels and restrict service people so as few as possible can interact with team.

The fire alarms are a tool which will be used by opposing fans to try to get players mixed up with non-players who have not been restricted.  In fact I can see opposition fans with COVID-19 (not necessary actively ill) pulling alarms and trying to get players and staff infected.  Now if the person is caught they can be charged with multiple counts depending on local laws.  If I was a team I'd have staff brief the players on what to do with fire alarms (i.e. always have protective gear ready to be grabbed) and would hire additional local people to watch alarms.

• Haha (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don't generally go all "conspiracy theory" but something seems fishy about the Pats* long list of opt-outs. Hmmmmm?

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

For teams with money like Bills I think they will opt for charter flights when they can find.

They will also get entire floors of hotels and restrict service people so as few as possible can interact with team.

The fire alarms are a tool which will be used by opposing fans to try to get players mixed up with non-players who have not been restricted.  In fact I can see opposition fans with COVID-19 (not necessary actively ill) pulling alarms and trying to get players and staff infected.  Now if the person is caught they can be charged with multiple counts depending on local laws.  If I was a team I'd have staff brief the players on what to do with fire alarms (i.e. always have protective gear ready to be grabbed) and would hire additional local people to watch alarms.

Limeaid, luv ya bud, but you’re going a little Oliver Stone, JFK on us with the fire alarm as the opposing fans would need to know where we are staying.  I’m up for the next conspiracy theory, but if this was the norm, opposing fans would do this for years just to annoy the players trying to get a good nights sleep on Saturday before a game.  I can’t remember that story, and only reason I knew the Bills were at a particular Tampa Hotel as I’m friends with a General Manager of a high end Hyatt, and sworn to secrecy.  I guess it’s possible, but unlikely.  Besides, what are opposing fans going to go find COVID positive patients and tell them to breathe al over the players and by the way get through security.

As the great Doc Holiday said in Tombstone, “why Wyatt, my hypocracy only goes so far”.  Classic movie.

29 minutes ago, The Dean said:

I don't generally go all "conspiracy theory" but something seems fishy about the Pats* long list of opt-outs. Hmmmmm?

When you repeatedly get fish oil on your hands when you investigate them it is not surprised that any news is fishy.

This would be a good time for a player on Opt Out list to write an expose book.