Voluntary Opt outs

9 minutes ago, SCBills said:

All of the concern about a flukey season due to player opt-outs was definitely overblown.  

That list reads like typical attrition during camps/preseason.  

True, but normal injuries will still happen too. I think the Patriots are the only team that will really feel their losses, their opt outs have turned them into a bottom 5 roster.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

True, but normal injuries will still happen too. I think the Patriots are the only team that will really feel their losses, their opt outs have turned them into a bottom 5 roster.

A lot of that is that they didn't even try to keep their guys in free agency. 

Can we all just agree that this would be the perfect season for the bills to win the Super Bowl? You know that if they did nobody would take their championship seriously because of the opt-outs. It would be so billsy 

Edited by Bills!Win!
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bills!Win! said:

Can we all just agree that this would be the perfect season for the bills to win the Super Bowl? You know that if they did nobody would take their championship seriously because of the opt-outs. It would be so billsy 

I think we can all agree upon that. 

EVERY year!    :)

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Bills!Win! said:

You mean the fewer than 3% opt outs with no superstars in that mix?  This season will feel a bit odd because of COVID and no fans in the stands, not the opt outs, and as long as they keep any outbreaks from happening they are still playing pro football and a Super Bowl championship will be perfectly legitimate.

Nobody puts an asterisk next to Washington’s SB win over Miami and they only played a 9-game season.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, eball said:

You mean the fewer than 3% opt outs with no superstars in that mix?  This season will feel a bit odd because of COVID and no fans in the stands, not the opt outs, and as long as they keep any outbreaks from happening they are still playing pro football and a Super Bowl championship will be perfectly legitimate.

Nobody puts an asterisk next to Washington’s SB win over Miami and they only played a 9-game season.

Ha Ha - You just did. ? 

15 hours ago, whatdrought said:

A lot of that is that they didn't even try to keep their guys in free agency. 

They didn't have much cap to work with this year.  They franchise tagged Joe Thuney which ate up most of what they had.  They also took a pretty good cap hit ($13.5 M and $4.5 M)  with Tommy Boy and Antonio Brown.  They received some cap space now that they had some guys opt out.

Edited by DCbillsfan

I’d put the Bills at about -10 right now in their opener against the Jets.  No Adams, no Moseley, and with the continuity the Bills are bringing to the table this one could be a rout.

29 minutes ago, eball said:

I’d put the Bills at about -10 right now in their opener against the Jets.  No Adams, no Moseley, and with the continuity the Bills are bringing to the table this one could be a rout.

I can't help but think that, at least the first few games (if not the whole season), will look more like the "pro bowl games".

Players mostly playing "not to get hurt".

Regardless of how much better we are than the Jets, the Bills will play just enough to win.

Edited by cd1

2 hours ago, cd1 said:

I can't help but think that, at least the first few games (if not the whole season), will look more like the "pro bowl games".

Players mostly playing "not to get hurt".

Regardless of how much better we are than the Jets, the Bills will play just enough to win.

If that’s how they play, we’ll lose.  Seriously.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If that’s how they play, we’ll lose.  Seriously.

I was not referring to just our team. I meant league wide.

At least a few games to knock the rust off.

Overwhelming the main stream media narrative on opt outs is they should not be criticized, critiqued or in any way critically analyzed. In fact, much of the media falls over itself in praising players who opt out. Here is a reality check - that narrative is flat out wrong. For people in the age group and health profile of NFL players, the risk of death and/or serious illness is virtually zero. Same applies to their children. Most “infected” players won’t even know they had it. I recall in the 90s Bruce Smith had to miss a playoff game (we lost) because of the flu; while EVERY current  Bills player who tested positive were completely unaware that they were even infected. It is fair to compare the actions of the opt out players to that of 50+ year old health workers, first responders etc who do not “opt out”. It should be noted that with all the precautions, devices etc employed by NFL teams, the active  players are generally safer than those who opt out. Unless you make the ridiculous assumption that opt outs are going to quarantine themselves for the next 6 months. They will not, so opting out does not reduce their “risk”, which is minimal to begin with; it may in fact increase it. And for a Bills player - tested every day, advanced medical devices, monitoring and supervision- while living in a community with an extremely low infection rate, a decision to opt out is not above criticism. I don’t personally care if any player chooses to opt out, but that decision making process in light of all the actual science is certainly subject to critique.

• Like (+1) 1

I believe in personal choice - if you want to opt out, no issues.  If it does not impact me, make what ever choice you desire.  If they make a choice, live the the consequences - good or bad.  I would like to see them play but someone will make the decision to play in their spots.

Many people in normal paying jobs do not have the ability to opt out.  The walmart cashier needs to work to pay the bills and he/she is at risk.  Many were involuntarily opted out due to restaurants being closed.  Those are the people I worry about, not the NFL players. 

• Like (+1) 4