Voluntary Opt outs

Unless something crazy happens today (and I’m not saying it won’t), with the number of opt outs thus far this will hardly be a “half-assed” season.  Right now we’re at around 60 opt outs out of roughly 2000 players, or about 3%.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, eball said:

Unless something crazy happens today (and I’m not saying it won’t), with the number of opt outs thus far this will hardly be a “half-assed” season.  Right now we’re at around 60 opt outs out of roughly 2000 players, or about 3%.

How many trade deadline days have turned out to be "mush ado about nothing"?

Hopefully today turns out like that - I still hope for a meaningful season. Financially, opting out makes most sense for marginal guys who had questions about even making the roster. If a bunch of those type of guys opt out, then I don't see an impact on leading to a season of compromised value. 

17 hours ago, nucci said:

Yeah, I get that part. Feel the same way but really missed it and glad we get to see something

I did watch a lot of the habs/pens game last night.  Very high quality.  But I have noticed too that there seems to be a overall lack of hitting in all of the games.  Maybe they are all still trying to get back in game shape and don't want to get hurt.

4 hours ago, Bulldog said:

How many trade deadline days have turned out to be "mush ado about nothing"?

Hopefully today turns out like that - I still hope for a meaningful season. Financially, opting out makes most sense for marginal guys who had questions about even making the roster. If a bunch of those type of guys opt out, then I don't see an impact on leading to a season of compromised value. 

I mean everyone that was really planning on it has probably already done it since they didn't know when the deadline would be. Could still be a few late deciders like Tre though.

WOW - the silence is deafening!

Notice: Put on your tinfoil hats, if you got them...

I wonder if there is a delay in announcing Opt-outs today - just in case announcements cause a domino effect.

/tinfoil hats off...

5 hours ago, eball said:

And many are marginal guys who probably would not have made a roster anyway...

55 minutes ago, richNjoisy said:

It was great to see in the article that the Bills have been one of the best at watching player safety .. that stuff matters in free agency, not as much as the $$$$, but still matters.

This seems to be the final tally.  Bills did well compared to the rest of the Division.

CBS Sports is tracking all of the decisions in one place. 

49ers

WR Travis Benjamin
OT Shon Coleman

Bears

DT Eddie Goldman
S Jordan Lucas

Bengals

DL Josh Tupou

Bills

CB E.J. Gaines 
DL Star Lotulelei

Broncos

OT Ja'Wuan James 
DL Kyle Peko

Browns

DT Andrew Billings 
OT Drake Dorbeck
OG Drew Forbes
OG Colby Gossett
OG Malcolm Pridgeon

Buccaneers

OT Brad Seaton

Cardinals

OT Marcus Gilbert

Chargers

None

Chiefs

OG Laurent Duvernay-Tardif
OL Lucas Niang
RB Damien Williams

Colts

S Rolan Milligan
LB Skai Moore
S Marvell Tell

Cowboys

CB Maurice Canady  
WR Stephen Guidry
FB Jamize Olawale

Dolphins

DT Davon Godchaux
WR Allen Hurns
WR Albert Wilson II

Eagles

WR Marquise Goodwin

Falcons

None

Giants

CB Sam Beal
WR Da'Mari Scott 
OT Nate Solder

Jaguars

LB Lerentee McCray  
CB Rashaan Melvin
DL Al Woods

Jets

LB James Burgess
WR Josh Doctson
OL Leo Koloamatangi
LB C.J. Mosley

Lions

WR Geronimo Allison 
DL John Atkins
C Russell Bodine

Packers

WR Devin Funchess

Panthers

LB Jordan Mack
LB Christian Miller

Patriots

RB Brandon Bolden  
OT Marcus Cannon  
S Patrick Chung
LB Dont'a Hightower
TE Matt LaCosse  
WR Marqise Lee 
OL Najee Toran 
FB Danny Vitale 

Raiders

LB Ukeme Eligwe

Rams

None

Ravens

OT Andre Smith
WR De'Anthony Thomas

Saints

TE Jason Vander Laan  
TE Cole Wick

Seahawks

OG Chance Warmack

Steelers

None

Texans

DL Eddie Vanderdoes

Titans

OT Anthony McKinney

Vikings

DL Michael Pierce

Washington Football Team

DL Caleb Brantley 
LB Josh Harvey-Clemons

Doesn’t anyone find it odd that not a single Center or QB opted out? Considering they touch the ball and each other on every play. That object also will be having many of the skill players, refs, dee players, and ball boys touching it. I know objects can carry the virus if it gets any mucus and breath on it so I was just wondering if they will be trying to sterilize the balls in some way by frequently swapping them in and out and UVing them or something.

1 minute ago, Locomark said:

Doesn’t anyone find it odd that not a single Center or QB opted out? Considering they touch the ball and each other on every play. That object also will be having many of the skill players, refs, dee players, and ball boys touching it. I know objects can carry the virus if it gets any mucus and breath on it so I was just wondering if they will be trying to sterilize the balls in some way by frequently swapping them in and out and UVing them or something.

I was really worried about Morse with his brother and all.

All of the concern about a flukey season due to player opt-outs was definitely overblown.  

That list reads like typical attrition during camps/preseason.  

Teams most affected by opt-outs, imo, were both in our division..  Jets have the best player to opt out in CJ Mosley and the Pats lose three starters in  Chung, Hightower and Cannon. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, Locomark said:

Russell Bodine, Center