Voluntary Opt outs

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Have to give you props. We’ve never been through this before so I had no idea what to expect. But I guess I figured if they reported, they had decided to play. Totally wrong. 

It’s a negotiating ploy. He’s not going to sit out, collect just $150K and still be under contract for 2 more years. 

1 minute ago, Doc said:

It’s a negotiating ploy. He’s not going to sit out, collect just $150K and still be under contract for 2 more years. 

It definitely doesn’t benefit him financially. But that didn’t seem to be a factor in his decision. 

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

It definitely doesn’t benefit him financially. But that didn’t seem to be a factor in his decision. 

That’s the only factor. He won’t come out and say it though. 

24 minutes ago, Doc said:

I really don't think it is. Like, at all. I think this is about what a decision to play means for his family. Don't see them for 5 months or force them into strict lockdown in Buffalo. That is the reason he gave and I for one believe him totally. 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Doc said:

Strongly doubt it considering the salary cap will drop about 25M next year. There is no evidence of any negotiating ploy and no time to get a blockbuster deal done. 

4 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Strongly doubt it considering the salary cap will drop about 25M next year. There is no evidence of any negotiating ploy and no time to get a blockbuster deal done. 

While I also doubt money is the (only) issue for Tre, isn't the cap supposed to stay flat for 2021?  Where did you get the $25 million hit?

2 minutes ago, The Dean said:

While I also doubt money is the (only) issue for Tre, isn't the cap supposed to stay flat for 2021?  Where did you get the $25 million hit?

Both Beane and Spotrac have projected the 2021 Cap at 175 Million.  That about 24 million less than this year.

• Like (+1) 1

I listened to the whole zoom conference call and came out less certain than I'd like to be. He talked about how making sacrifices now will eventually set up his family for generations to come (ok this is sounding good), but in the next breather he also mentioned how he didn't go to the DB workouts because he didn't want to go through the airport and expose his kids to anything (back to being uncertain). If I had to guess I'd say he is 51/49 leaning towards playing but is trying to justify his decision to himself. Hard to lose an All-Pro and compete. Then again, this is shaping up to be a weird anomaly of a season.

It's one thing to have a team looking out for each other and taking precautions, but it's a whole other thing knowing you have to fly to another town, expose yourself to the risks of an unknown environment where you don't know if the people you are playing are taking things seriously. If given the option as a player with financial security, I'd probably opt out myself. 

41 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Both Beane and Spotrac have projected the 2021 Cap at 175 Million.  That about 24 million less than this year.

I see what you are saying. Let me see if I have this straight. The cap floor is going to be the exact same next year as this year. Not a decrease. But it is a decrease from what was precviously being predicted for 2021 before the pandemic.  So, same as this year, less that people were predicting for next year.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-proposes-2021-nfl-salary-cap-floor-at-175-million-due-to-covid-19-pandemic/#:~:text=Jonathan Jones of CBS Sports,was estimated at %24210 million.

T

he NFL salary cap is close to being set for 2021 and teams will certainly have plenty of maneuvering to figure out. Jonathan Jones of CBS Sports is reporting the 2021 NFL salary cap floor will be set at a minimum of $175 million (raised from $165 million) via a league proposal to the NFLPA. This is a huge hit to the expected 2021 salary cap prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, which was estimated at $210 million. 

"When the 2020 salary cap was set at $198.2M, one could have est the 2021 cap would be at least $210M. Today's league proposal, if accepted, would set the 2021 cap floor at $175M," Jones said via Twitter.

...There will be no change to the 2020 cap under this proposal, but the minimum cap was raised from $165 million to $175 million under this proposal. 

Now, this may be a silly question but what's the difference between The Cap and the  "minimum Cap"?  Is that the very minimum teams have to spend?

8 minutes ago, The Dean said:

I see what you are saying. Let me see if I have this straight. The cap floor is going to be the exact same next year as this year. Not a decrease. But it is a decrease from what was precviously being predicted for 2021 before the pandemic.  So, same as this year, less that people were predicting for next year.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-proposes-2021-nfl-salary-cap-floor-at-175-million-due-to-covid-19-pandemic/#:~:text=Jonathan Jones of CBS Sports,was estimated at %24210 million.

T

Now, this may be a silly question but what's the difference between The Cap and the  "minimum Cap"?  Is that the very minimum teams have to spend?

I think many could be confused by the terminology used in the article.

In a nutshell what they are talking about is this.

The 2020 Cap is 198.2 Million.

The Projected 2021 Cap was 210 Million.

With the Covid complication everyone knows the cap will not be 210 Million and the league was in talks with the NFLPA about what

the absolute minimum the cap could be in 2021.  They proposed it could be as low as 165 Million and the NFLPA was not happy.

The compromise now is at 175 Million to be the minimum the 2021 cap can be.

Remember the cap is about revenue so if the season goes forward the 175 Million could go up but that's not realistic.

Teams and players (and especially player's agents) need to know what the parameters are going to be.

Just a FWIW, the Bills have 172 Million earmarked for the top 51 next year.  They are not in cap hell at all but thing will get a little

tight signing the guys we know they got to sign.  Bringing over some cap dollars from this year will help a lot.

Hope this helps.

• Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, The Dean said:

T

The cap floor for 2020 (ie. the minimum a team has to spend against the cap is $175m). They have NOT guaranteed the 2021 cap will not reduce from the $200m it is for 2020. What they have guaranteed is that the minimum cap for 2021 will be equivalent to the 2020 cap floor - ie. $175m.

Beane said in his conf call that he "and others he has spoken to" presume that means other GMs etc are planning on the basis of $175m being the cap for 2021. 

4 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

I listened to the whole zoom conference call and came out less certain than I'd like to be. He talked about how making sacrifices now will eventually set up his family for generations to come (ok this is sounding good), but in the next breather he also mentioned how he didn't go to the DB workouts because he didn't want to go through the airport and expose his kids to anything (back to being uncertain). If I had to guess I'd say he is 51/49 leaning towards playing but is trying to justify his decision to himself. Hard to lose an All-Pro and compete. Then again, this is shaping up to be a weird anomaly of a season.

It's one thing to have a team looking out for each other and taking precautions, but it's a whole other thing knowing you have to fly to another town, expose yourself to the risks of an unknown environment where you don't know if the people you are playing are taking things seriously. If given the option as a player with financial security, I'd probably opt out myself. 

This is the truth. Im still on the fence as to whether I want a half assed season,  or just wait until next year. 

So what happens if someone decides not to play after Thursday?  Any players who make more than $2.5mil, a single game check would exceed the $150k for players opting out.  So what happens if a player plays the 1st two weeks, gets their checks, they states I'm done.  (and not a halftime either) 

Is their contract voided?  How would it differ from doing it now, other than they don't get the $150k, but they did get more in their paycheck.  Does their contract not push back a season?

8 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

So what happens if someone decides not to play after Thursday?  Any players who make more than $2.5mil, a single game check would exceed the $150k for players opting out.  So what happens if a player plays the 1st two weeks, gets their checks, they states I'm done.  (and not a halftime either) 

Is their contract voided?  How would it differ from doing it now, other than they don't get the $150k, but they did get more in their paycheck.  Does their contract not push back a season?

Haven’t read anything on that. SPECULATION: They would probably have to retire. Which I think would nullify any guaranteed money and make them susceptible to paying back any bonus(prorated). Upon unretirement the club would hold the players rights.

22 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

It would be a breach of contract and team could potentially recoup part of signing bonus, etc.  That would be an ugly situation.