Voluntary Opt outs

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/13/jordan-cameron-a-lot-of-us-in-the-nfl-dont-love-football/

https://www.denverpost.com/2011/02/01/do-players-really-love-money-more-than-the-game/

@Dopey

@Limeaid

It's really tough to gauge what the real number is. But a quick search it's easy to see lots players don't love the game

And I know lots of players who played high-level football who didn't love it

I put a skeptical emoji up on your post because you claimed 70-75 % of players don't like the sport and only 10% are passionate of the sport. My issue is someone claiming he got these numbers from his time in the sport and conversations you've had with players. I mean, unless this was an actual study, you haven't spoken to nearly enough players/ex players to produce those numbers.

That's roughly 1200 players not liking the sport and roughly 160 players that are passionate. I will was going to call bs.

Thanks for acknowledging it's hard to gauge the real numbers though.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/13/jordan-cameron-a-lot-of-us-in-the-nfl-dont-love-football/

https://www.denverpost.com/2011/02/01/do-players-really-love-money-more-than-the-game/

@Dopey

@Limeaid

It's really tough to gauge what the real number is. But a quick search it's easy to see lots players don't love the game

You keep focusing on love of the game. I get it, hard on the body. 

Go find another job. I learned I didn’t love banking. 

People don’t usually love their jobs. That’s life. I pray people can find something they at least like. We are blessed, my wife LOVES her job as much as I used to love mine. She’s very good at it and as a result I don’t have to work. But I still miss my old job. It’s a nice feeling to be active and be good at something. I miss it. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Dopey said:

I put a skeptical emoji up on your post because you claimed 70-75 % of players don't like the sport and only 10% are passionate of the sport. My issue is someone claiming he got these numbers from his time in the sport and conversations you've had with players. I mean, unless this was an actual study, you haven't spoken to nearly enough players/ex players to produce those numbers.

That's roughly 1200 players not liking the sport and roughly 160 players that are passionate. I will was going to call bs.

Thanks for acknowledging it's hard to gauge the real numbers though.

I should have said not passionate about the game, instead of not liking it

99% of the game at a high level is preparation work. And after years and years and years of that it just drains the passion for the game. Sure the actual 60 minutes of game time still could be enjoyable, but the actual job of being a player. The actual grind of preparation work sucks the passion out of tons of guys

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

@Dopey

@Limeaid

I think there is a lot of nuance here and you are painting with a broad brush. I think the picture you are painting is more akin to Andre Agassi, which is consider an outlier. But as you get better at sport, whatever it may be, it’s no longer about the game but the pursuit of excellence. You learn to get through the year for a single opportunity at greatness, and the goal isn’t having fun, it’s being the best. I have a friend who came out of f retirement to try and win her 3rd Olympic gold. When asked why she said “because I want to prove I am the best in the world” it wasn’t “because I love rowing” 

You mentioned Tom Brady. He doesn’t have a chip on his shoulder because of his love of the game, he has a chip because he wasn’t to be the greatest. 

I owe my life to the sport of rowing. It allowed me to live at the Olympic training center for a number of years. But training isn’t fun. Hell, racing isn’t all that fun. It’s a huge ball of nerves for the terrible things you’re about to will your body to do. Matthew Pinsent, 4x olympic good medalist in 4 straight Olympics threw up at every single starting line of an Olympic final. Steve Redgrave, 5 Olympics, 5 straight gold medals said after his 3rd or 4th, if you see me in a boat again, you have permission to shoot me. People like that may have lost their juvenile “love of the game” but gained a much deeper respect, understanding, and love for sport as a whole.  

If you were to have a larger conversation other than “do you love football” you would find that these guys have a drive and need to compete inside of them that you cannot possibly empathize with. 

EDIT/ADD ON: there was a point when my physiology was really great. On my irregular cross train days I was getting pretty close to training numbers for the triathlon team. I considered when my rowing career was over heading to Colorado Springs to train sport specific. I didn’t love triathlons, but I was passionate about greatness. 

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, Mango said:

I think there is a lot of nuance here and you are painting with a broad brush. I think the picture you are painting is more akin to Andre Agassi, which is consider an outlier. But as you get better at sport, whatever it may be, it’s no longer about the game but the pursuit of excellence. You learn to get through the year for a single opportunity at greatness, and the goal isn’t having fun, it’s being the best. I have a friend who came out of f retirement to try and win her 3rd Olympic gold. When asked why she said “because I want to prove I am the best in the world” it wasn’t “because I love rowing” 

You mentioned Tom Brady. He doesn’t have a chip on his shoulder because of his love of the game, he has a chip because he wasn’t to be the greatest. 

I owe my life to the sport of rowing. It allowed me to live at the Olympic training center for a number of years. But training isn’t fun. Hell, racing isn’t all that fun. It’s a huge ball of nerves for the terrible things you’re about to will your body to do. Matthew Pinsent, 4x olympic good medalist in 4 straight Olympics threw up at every single starting line of an Olympic final. Steve Redgrave, 5 Olympics, 5 straight gold medals said after his 3rd or 4th, if you see me in a boat again, you have permission to shoot me. People like that may have lost their juvenile “love of the game” but gained a much deeper respect, understanding, and love for sport as a whole.  

If you were to have a larger conversation other than “do you love football” you would find that these guys have a drive and need to compete inside of them that you cannot possibly empathize with. 

EDIT/ADD ON: there was a point when my physiology was really great. On my irregular cross train days I was getting pretty close to training numbers for the triathlon team. I considered when my rowing career was over heading to Colorado Springs to train sport specific. I didn’t love triathlons, but I was passionate about greatness. 

I totally understand the drive to be great.  I played high-level football and sports my whole life

I've gotten into fights on the pickup basketball court because I'm so competitive. I don't think I struggle with competitors striving to be great

But by the time they reach that level a lot of them have lost their passion for the sport. You don't have to love something to strive to be great. That's just competitive nature

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, eball said:

[getting back on track]

So Star is the only Buffalo opt-out at this point?  Everyone had to report to camp yesterday for their first COVID test so maybe we’re in the clear?

He was the only one to opt out yesterday. They actually have until  8/4 to do so.

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He was the only one to opt out yesterday. They actually have until  8/4 to do so.

Right, but wouldn’t you think they’d have made their decisions before reporting?

10 minutes ago, eball said:

[getting back on track]

So Star is the only Buffalo opt-out at this point?  Everyone had to report to camp yesterday for their first COVID test so maybe we’re in the clear?

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Once a player opts out, he can't reverse his decision. At least that's what I thought I'd heard. You may see a flurry at the deadline as guys seriously ponder what is best for them and their families.

18 minutes ago, eball said:

Right, but wouldn’t you think they’d have made their decisions before reporting?

We don’t know who all reported other than the pictures we’ve seen from the Bills or the players on social Media. I heard that there are players (not necessarily Bills) that have made their decisions and notified the team but the paperwork isn’t done because there are lawyers involved, there are still issues to be worked out with the CBA, and therefore it hasn’t been filed yet 

I mentioned in another thread but I wouldn’t be surprised to see Hauschka opt out. His wife just had a baby and Bills drafted a kicker so danger of being cut. If he doesn’t want to move around to another team in a pandemic he might take the year off. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

Once a player opts out, he can't reverse his decision. At least that's what I thought I'd heard. You may see a flurry at the deadline as guys seriously ponder what is best for them and their families.

That’s correct, the decision is final once made.  I just would have thought any players considering the opt-out would have already discussed this with their families/agents prior to reporting to training camp for COVID testing.  But you’re right, there are probably still some guys on the fence and as Yolo noted, perhaps the paperwork being filed is another delay.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

We don’t know who all reported other than the pictures we’ve seen from the Bills or the players on social Media. I heard that there are players (not necessarily Bills) that have made their decisions and notified the team but the paperwork isn’t done because there are lawyers involved, there are still issues to be worked out with the CBA, and therefore it hasn’t been filed yet 

I mentioned in another thread but I wouldn’t be surprised to see Hauschka opt out. His wife just had a baby and Bills drafted a kicker so danger of being cut. If he doesn’t want to move around to another team in a pandemic he might take the year off. 

As the CBA part drags on - the timing on opt outs goes further down the road.  

Originally it was 8/1, but they are talking about 7 days after the agreement and players are sent the final letter - so currently it is the 4th, but that could extend until after the agreement and some players are waiting to see the final agreement because if they can get designated a high risk versus a normal opt out - that additional year of service might be critical.

My guess is we will still see a flurry over the next couple of days, but then there will still be a trickle until everything is settled.

It may not be "just get it and get over it" - News like this should give athletes something serious to consider.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/80-of-covid-patients-have-this-life-threatening-symptom-study-says/ar-BB17iwXc

Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, we've learned that the coronavirus attacks much more than just your respiratory system. There are symptoms of the virus that affect everything from your mouth to your digestive tract. Now, a new study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) Cardiology has found that one of the more frightening lingering effects of COVID-19 is also very common. According to the JAMA Cardiology study, nearly 80 percent of COVID patients have heart damage.

7 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I totally understand the drive to be great.  I played high-level football and sports my whole life

I've gotten into fights on the pickup basketball court because I'm so competitive. I don't think I struggle with competitors striving to be great

But by the time they reach that level a lot of them have lost their passion for the sport. You don't have to love something to strive to be great. That's just competitive nature

I know numerous professional soccer players who really did not like playing soccer. One of them even played for England against Brazil in a World Cup Quarter Final. People would give their right arm for that.... he'd change the channel if he put the TV on and it was showing soccer.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, eball said:

That’s correct, the decision is final once made.  I just would have thought any players considering the opt-out would have already discussed this with their families/agents prior to reporting to training camp for COVID testing.  But you’re right, there are probably still some guys on the fence and as Yolo noted, perhaps the paperwork being filed is another delay.

Tom Pellisero from NFL Network tweeted that there are dozens of more players who are going to opt out.  Attorneys are involved on both sides trying to clarify who qualifies for the different opt outs.  

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Originally it was 8/1, but they are talking about 7 days after the agreement and players are sent the final letter - so currently it is the 4th, but that could extend until after the agreement and some players are waiting to see the final agreement because if they can get designated a high risk versus a normal opt out - that additional year of service might be critical.

My guess is we will still see a flurry over the next couple of days, but then there will still be a trickle until everything is settled.

I think you're right.  And if someone or a few players test positive on a particular team before the deadline I think that will increase the numbers substantially.  

49 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

Tom Pellisero from NFL Network tweeted that there are dozens of more players who are going to opt out.  Attorneys are involved on both sides trying to clarify who qualifies for the different opt outs.  

Florio and Simms alluded to something similar this morning. This could get interesting (a/k/a FUGLY). 

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

that they may need to report before the terms of opt out are finalized seems not ideal. 

you think in a perfect world the window would be a few days prior through a few after (can avoid showing up or can come in and see protocols in action if you want)

Edited by NoSaint