Voluntary Opt outs

Just now, Ethan in Portland said:

Looks like a mix of guys with legit reasons and a handful of bubble guys that are taking the $150k as a lump sum payment instead of risking getting cut.

Lump sum ADVANCE - teams sometimes will need to pursue legal means to get it back though.  Barry Sanders paid his advance year by year saying "maybe I will unretire" letting the money earn him interest.

Just now, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Wonder if Tom brady was still their QB they would be playing rather than opting out?

As a lineman I imagine you would have more loyalty to a QB you have protected before.

Or maybe they (2 out now) think they will play as well without T*m's Special Stuff.

only-adults-noticed-michaels-secret-stuf

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Or maybe they (2 out now) think they will play as well without T*m's Special Stuff.

only-adults-noticed-michaels-secret-stuf

They won't have the magician Dante Scarnecchia to pull a rabbit out of his ass.

9 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I think in the coming days I may announce I am opting out as well.  

I’d like to opt out to another planet, and return to Earth once this is all over. 

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Haha (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

100% My good man.  Just thinking today when I heard about the 30,000 people in the clinical trial, I hope to God the vaccine is ready soon.

There's no way a vaccine put together that quick could be safe

Even fauci and other doctors and scientists have said the same

Something that takes usually five or more years cannot be fast-tracked in 8 months safely

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

If they want to opt out for whatever reason, I understand.  I just don’t see why they should get $150,000, but I did hear they have to pay back a portion of it.  They should also not be credited for a year of service, as regular joe’s don’t.  In my eyes, it’s simple, play get paid, don’t play (meaning opting not to work), don’t get paid.  They shouldn’t be treated any differently then the general public.  

I respect any player that chooses for health or other reasons not to work.

What the NFL and NFLPA agree upon has literally nothing to do with the general public. These things are collectively bargained.

56 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I’d like to opt out to another planet, and return to Earth once this is all over. 

Eh, most planets don't have breathable air, so you are better off here.

1 hour ago, Mr. K said:

Tre does have a young child...

And luckily this disease does not affect children to the extent that it does adults. And when they do get sick it is generally more mild.

27 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

There's no way a vaccine put together that quick could be safe

Even fauci and other doctors and scientists have said the same

Something that takes usually five or more years cannot be fast-tracked in 8 months safely

Which is why there are so many people unwilling to be guinea pigs and line up to take it.

Just now, Doc Brown said:

I’d simply be more concerned with it being ineffective than dangerous. Often times when people mention “adverse effects”, they are talking about a fever; runny nose, or something like that. People seem to think vaccines are created by throwing a bunch of random chemicals in a needle. There’s a scientific process that typically provides a decent level of safety, even with those in development. The random horror stories, and tales of vaccines from decades ago aren’t the reality. 

1 minute ago, SirAndrew said:

I’d simply be more concerned with it being ineffective than dangerous. Often times when people mention “adverse effects”, they are talking about a fever; runny nose, or something like that. People seem to think vaccines are created by throwing a bunch of random chemicals in a needle. There’s a scientific process that typically provides a decent level of safety, even with those in development. The random horror stories, and tales of vaccines from decades ago aren’t the reality. 

Actually vaccines are like any other drug and come with their own list of potential side effects, most of them minor but some of them major.

Just now, MJS said:

Actually vaccines are like any other drug and come with their own list of potential side effects, most of them minor but some of them major.

True, just saying some people often exaggerate those dangers greatly. 

25 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

True, just saying some people often exaggerate those dangers greatly. 

It goes both ways, in my experience. On one hand we have the anti-vaxers who make all sorts of claims about vaccines (some of them valid, most not). And on the other hand you have a large contingent who claim that vaccines are perfectly safe, have no side effects, and you should have no problem taking them.

The truth, as always, is somewhere in-between. But we don't need to go into that here. For me it comes down to acceptable risk, and that threshold is different for every person.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

If they want to opt out for whatever reason, I understand.  I just don’t see why they should get $150,000, but I did hear they have to pay back a portion of it.  They should also not be credited for a year of service, as regular joe’s don’t.  In my eyes, it’s simple, play get paid, don’t play (meaning opting not to work), don’t get paid.  They shouldn’t be treated any differently then the general public.  

I respect any player that chooses for health or other reasons not to work.

The league owners and the NFLPA should be able to come to whatever agreement they want when it comes to pay and service years accrued.