Voluntary Opt outs

16 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I will need to double check but I thought I saw that it was 

Sickle cell is covered but not sickle cell trait. The trait, in simple terms, means 1 parent had sickle cell gene and the other did not.

https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/news/2010/questions-and-answers-about-sickle-cell-trait

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Lots of players retire, wait to team does not have cap space and unretire to get released.

Are you sure NFLPA did not allow for a loophole? It does not sound like them.

lots? Incredibly few, really.

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Lots of people will declare bankruptcy during COViD-19. Spend it, declare bankruptcy and NFLPA will defend him.

You gotta look him in the eye, treat him with civility...

Have him turn around so he can have deniability...

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I wonder if NFL shuts down later in season with higher payments can opt outs upgrade?

There is a clause in place that if the season is cancelled no one gets paid. You can still opt out after week 1 though. 

20 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Ok - so Brown just has the trait?

People with SCD shouldn't (I'd go so far as to say "can't") play sports, much less at the professional level.

Edited by Doc

8 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I didn't know that about Brown. And we play in Denver this year ... Ryan Clark sat out games at elevation based on his sickle cell trait.

I heard one of the Bills reporters recently say that John brown played In Denver once when he was with the cardinals ... didn’t fact check that though 

If they want to opt out for whatever reason, I understand.  I just don’t see why they should get $150,000, but I did hear they have to pay back a portion of it.  They should also not be credited for a year of service, as regular joe’s don’t.  In my eyes, it’s simple, play get paid, don’t play (meaning opting not to work), don’t get paid.  They shouldn’t be treated any differently then the general public.  

I respect any player that chooses for health or other reasons not to work.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

If they want to opt out for whatever reason, I understand.  I just don’t see why they should get $150,000, but I did hear they have to pay back a portion of it.  They should also not be credited for a year of service, as regular joe’s don’t.  In my eyes, it’s simple, play get paid, don’t play (meaning opting not to work), don’t get paid.  They shouldn’t be treated any differently then the general public.  

The only players who don’t need to pay it back and are credited for a year of service are the high risk players, from what I read 

Yolo, thank you as always for the feedback.  I liken that to in our corporate world where I work in hospitals and I have Type 1 Diabetes considered a high risk patient, would I be paid for sitting at home.  No.  I would not.  I would have to be under the strictest control, and do my best to minimize my risk.  I’m not cold hearted and if they want to not work, don’t work.  They just shouldn’t be paid to not work as it is not the way of the rest of the world.

I want to be clear though, I applaud anyone for them or their family for not working, they shouldn’t be given corporate welfare.  

54 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

There is a clause in place that if the season is cancelled no one gets paid. You can still opt out after week 1 though. 

Sounds like NFLPA needs new negotiators.  They rarely leave money on table unless they think they can get it in court.

31 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Once vested players play one game they are entitled to entire salary. I am guessing that is what NFLPA is counting on.