Voluntary Opt outs

I am not going to get on anyone's case for opting out.

This is especially tough, I would imagine, if you are a limited salary player anyways.  

Just going by the sheer math (I am sure there are other variables) he is also giving up $785,000 (i year $935,000 contract).

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 2

Great thread for a pin..thanks @YoloinOhio

And for those that did not see in another thread, John Brown has , and correct me if I am wrong here Yolo, Sickle Cell Trait so would be considered high risk ?? 

Please correct me on what i have wrong there.

Thanks again

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Doc said:

Smart move.  Probably would have been cut and now gets $150K.

It is an advance though, so if he returns next year it’s taken out of that salary. I guess if he never plays football again he just keeps it, not sure 

Edited by YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I am not going to get on anyone's case for opting out.

This is especially tough, I would imagine, if you are a limited salary player anyways.  

Just going by the sheer math (I am sure there are other variables) he is also giving up $785,000 (i year $935,000 contract).

He only had 25k guaranteed (https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimore-ravens/deanthony-thomas-14535/), but gets 150k for the opt out.

Could he have been told he would have to fight for a spot on the team? Could have been a calculated financial decision, especially taking risks into account.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, nrenegar said:

He only had 25k guaranteed (https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimore-ravens/deanthony-thomas-14535/), but gets 150k for the opt out.

Could he have been told he would have to fight for a spot on the team? Could have been a calculated financial decision, especially taking risks into account.

Just checked, too.  He has 3.55 million in career earnings.  

Man, this has got to hurt for the guy.

Again, I will not get on anyone's case for opting out, but this just has to be tough.  

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

$1.047 million.  

$15 million or so over his career.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

15 minutes ago, nrenegar said:

I actually had a similar thought - that (whether or not he was told) he's effectively a "fringe player" for the team, with minimal chances to get in sync with Jackson so hard to beat anyone out.  He gets $150k > $25k and doesn't have to worry about auditioning for other teams in the middle of a pandemic.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I actually had a similar thought - that (whether or not he was told) he's effectively a "fringe player" for the team, with minimal chances to get in sync with Jackson so hard to beat anyone out.  He gets $150k > $25k and doesn't have to worry about auditioning for other teams in the middle of a pandemic.

But man, Hap, that has got to still be a tough sell for a young man who believes in himself.  Additionally, it is not like he hasn't been making NFL rosters.

Solid points, though, by you and @nrenegar

• Like (+1) 1

So.........no word on Mahomes or Lamar Jackson yet???

Come on, the Bills deserve a break, don’t you think?  :)

But seriously, this could really affect the balance of some divisions if key players opt out. 

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1

As many of you have anticipated, I regret to announce that I will be exercising my right to opt-out for this season. This was not an easy decision but given the recent extensions granted by local courts with regard to several restraining orders limiting my access to the team's facilities, I don't feel that I had any choice. I am told that my refusal to engage in any off-season training and my stubborn resistance to any dietary limitations made me a long shot to make the roster anyway. My delusion dream of being the first 60 year old on an active NFL roster will have to wait. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Mickey said:

As many of you have anticipated, I regret to announce that I will be exercising my right to opt-out for this season. This was not an easy decision but given the recent extensions granted by local courts with regard to several restraining orders limiting my access to the team's facilities, I don't feel that I had any choice. I am told that my refusal to engage in any off-season training and my stubborn resistance to any dietary limitations made me a long shot to make the roster anyway. My delusion dream of being the first 60 year old on an active NFL roster will have to wait. 

If Frank Gore can play so can you. Suck it up. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

And for those that did not see in another thread, John Brown has , and correct me if I am wrong here Yolo, Sickle Cell Trait so would be considered high risk ?? 

Please correct me on what i have wrong there.

Thanks again

You are correct...good memory. But having the trait is not identified as an opt-out.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22836078/john-brown-baltimore-ravens-says-sickle-cell-affecting-health

So if a guy opts out then he essentially is dropping out of the whole season? A player couldn't say "I choose not to come to camp because I'm afraid of catching Covid", then turn up a week before the season and say he'd like to play? 

I haven't followed this at all so I'm unsure of how it all works. 

1 minute ago, Mr Info said:

You are correct...good memory. But having the trait is not identified as an opt-out.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22836078/john-brown-baltimore-ravens-says-sickle-cell-affecting-health

I will need to double check but I thought I saw that it was 

1 minute ago, RobbRiddick said:

So if a guy opts out then he essentially is dropping out of the whole season? A player couldn't say "I choose not to come to camp because I'm afraid of catching Covid", then turn up a week before the season and say he'd like to play? 

I haven't followed this at all so I'm unsure of how it all works. 

Whole season