Roger Goodell publishes open letter to NFL Fans as training camps start up

https://www.nfl.com/news/roger-goodell-letter-nfl-fans-training-camps

The game will go on, and Goodell is ready to get things going. One point he made sure to note: Much like the game itself, adjustments might be necessary.

"Adaptability and flexibility will be needed for the foreseeable future," Goodell wrote. "After all, even the best game plan changes as new challenges arise. This year's NFL Draft is a good example that embracing change can still deliver the fun and excitement we all crave.

"While this year will forever be defined by a heartbreaking global pandemic and a transformative social justice movement, I am reminded of the tenacious, resilient spirit of our country, the NFL community, and you, the greatest fans in the world. Thank you for your continued support."

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gene1973 said:

The NFL is just too greedy to do the right thing and just cancel the season. I get the sense this is a lost season before it even begins.

I dont understand your logic.  Baseball is playing, basketball and hockey will both be playing.  So why is the NFL the great evil for having a season?

• Like (+1) 5

10 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I dont understand your logic.  Baseball is playing, basketball and hockey will both be playing.  So why is the NFL the great evil for having a season?

Baseball is less than a week in and is already cancelling games due to the virus.  Baseball also has much less physical contact than football and smaller rosters and staff (so fewer people involved, so less chance of the presence or spread of the virus).  As much as I want to have NFL football this fall, I don't think it looks very promising.  My comments have nothing to do with anyone's greed, one way or another.  I don't see any "evil" on the part of the NFL.  For the players, coaches and other staff, this is their job and their source of income.  Plus, money aside, everyone - players, coaches, owners, and fans (including me) loves football and wants to see it played.  I'm just pessimistic that it will happen. 

Not sure if the players would even want this.   But could you do a bubble in each city?  Buy out a hotel and let the players live there.  Their family can live with them.  Take a bus to and from the facilities. If you want to have a family visit they would just get tested.  I know the chances of this happening is none.  But we have seen how the MLB is doing.  While the NBA bubble has worked so far. 

9 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

My comments have nothing to do with anyone's greed, one way or another. 

He was quoting someone else who said the NFL is too greedy...he's asking the question that if the NBA, NHl and MLB are all playing..what makes the NFL so much 'worse' than them?

Edited by jeremy2020

44 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

The NFL is just too greedy to do the right thing and just cancel the season. I get the sense this is a lost season before it even begins.

It’s not simple greed. Sports plays an important role in American lives. It’s been the great equalizer among people for as long as there has been sports. People need distractions, there’s too much going on for us to remain peaceful and calm. 

Football gives people a chance to focus their attentions someplace else, even if it’s only for a few hours once a week. 

I get the feeling they recognize this, as well as the money, and will do everything they can, to give people the distraction they need and deserve. 

21 minutes ago, 17islongenough said:

Not sure if the players would even want this.   But could you do a bubble in each city?  Buy out a hotel and let the players live there.  Their family can live with them.  Take a bus to and from the facilities. If you want to have a family visit they would just get tested.  I know the chances of this happening is none.  But we have seen how the MLB is doing.  While the NBA bubble has worked so far. 

Bubbles were proposed in my industry (television production) and were quickly shut down. The logistics become a nightmare and the cost of it becomes a disincentive.  

• Like (+1) 1

I think it’s great they are going to try. 
This is manageable to a certain extent. 
Not a sport but the wrestling promotion AEW (Khans group) has been running extremely well and not had any real outbreaks. The roster and camera crews etc etc all go through a pretty strict testing process every week for the show to make sure no one person can infect the roster. Vinces group WWE has had some issues. 
It is a smaller scale but if khan can do it with wrestling I don’t see any reason they can’t do it with football. Especially if you’re talking the teams that separate into two groups. The smaller the group the easier to test and manage accordingly. 

13 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I think it’s great they are going to try. 
This is manageable to a certain extent. 
Not a sport but the wrestling promotion AEW (Khans group) has been running extremely well and not had any real outbreaks. The roster and camera crews etc etc all go through a pretty strict testing process every week for the show to make sure no one person can infect the roster. Vinces group WWE has had some issues. 
It is a smaller scale but if khan can do it with wrestling I don’t see any reason they can’t do it with football. Especially if you’re talking the teams that separate into two groups. The smaller the group the easier to test and manage accordingly. 

Vince runs a “sloppy shop”. 

• Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

I have a feeling many who really wanted football at all costs won't like how the season plays out.

As far as sports being a social equalizer, distraction, brining people together yadda, think those days are gone. Social media has ruined that, along with so many other institutions it has basterdized.

I just don't think this will end well at all.

Ok. Well this is an NFL message board. You are likely going to find people who want to watch football and are happy the season is happening.

Sounds like you aren't on board with that. You are entitled to your opinion, but don't be surprised when lots of people here disagree.

• Like (+1) 1

Without a bubble, the next man up mentality becomes more important than ever across team sports. At some outbreak point, we will see leagues shut down but I like others appreciate them trying. 

Professional wrestling, boxing and UFC have all been back for awhile. We've seen fights get called off and positive tests but UFC in particular has been very successful.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

the MLB season is in jeopardy as half the Marlins clubhouse has tested positive; basketball players have to live in a bubble; who knows about the NHL.

with the close proximity of NFL players during all activities, COVID may force the NFL to cancel despite its financial imperatives.