Vikings Infection Control Officer and his family test positive for Covid

3 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

My point is not that, and I am very happy Cuomo and most New Yorkers have done the right things,  the point was that when the Bills play a team from a state like Florida, say the Dolphins,  they stand a higher chance of contracting the virus and bringing it home with them. 

True.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Good Lord.

When the dust settles that may be true, but what about all the players who have been living and working out in S. Florida, Texas, and S. Cali who are now distributing themselves to all 32 teams?

Those players are at risk if they are still living in those places right now.  Their impact on other teammates has yet to be seen in testing--certainly not affective nearly whole teams as the Marlins.

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Those players are at risk if they are still living in those places right now.  Their impact on other teammates has yet to be seen in testing--certainly not affective nearly whole teams as the Marlins.

I guess we'll see.  The NFL is obviously hoping to catch many or most of the current infections with 2 tests a couple days apart before they're let into the facility.  That'll take care of the 5 day "average" incubation period.  As I recall, what they found on TR is that a lot of the young fit, healthy sailors were testing negative until right before the end of the 14 day quarantine period then Hey Now! and a handful tested positive outside that 14 day window. 

Are the players exempt from the NYS 14 day quarantine requirement?

3 hours ago, Bleedbuffaloblue said:

Yes, and way too many in this Country are doing a piss poor job of it!

The behavior of some people here in Northern California has been despicable.  A passenger on a bus in SF refused to wear a mask. When the bus driver pulled the bus over to get the passenger to leave, he was hit several times with a bat.  There was another incident a while back where a store customer started a fight because he refused to wear a mask.

49 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Are the players exempt from the NYS 14 day quarantine requirement?

NFL folks and supporting crews must be exempt.

I can't see how a team is going to come into NYS and quarantine for 14 days before playing a game.

I also can't see how Buffalo is going to come back from an away game and quarantine for 14 days.

3 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Not a good omen when the guy in charge of keeping the team safe contracts the disease.

https://www.vikings.com/news/statements-from-the-minnesota-vikings-and-eric-sugarman

Well, glass half full........we know they testing works??? 

OK, maybe that’s not quite half, more like a drop in the bottom......

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

NYS is doing phase 3 and 4 pretty well right now for weeks.  Doesn't suck too much here.  People for the most part have behaved in a way that has led to this current state of low disease positive incidence.

You should come to Saratoga. Numbers aren't huge, nor will they be given the size of the population. But the population has seen about 35 cases this week, bring our total to about 650. That is more of the eye opener, 5% of cases came in the last 7 days, and we just started track season. Granted the track is closed for spectators but every bar is packed at the moment with racing on TV's.

It will most likely sky rocket soon up here without any local mandate/legislation. The Public Safety Commissioner keeps saying we "can't" enact any mask mandate, meanwhile we can, they just choose not to. Whether a mask mandate is popular or not can't even being addressed because the mayor and commissioner keep lying about whether they can or not. Everybody takes them at their word. The lack of major newspaper to publicly fact check them is infuriating. 

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

You should come to Saratoga. Numbers aren't huge, nor will they be given the size of the population. But the population has seen about 35 cases this week, bring our total to about 650. That is more of the eye opener, 5% of cases came in the last 7 days, and we just started track season. Granted the track is closed for spectators but every bar is packed at the moment with racing on TV's.

It will most likely sky rocket soon up here without any local mandate/legislation. The Public Safety Commissioner keeps saying we "can't" enact any mask mandate, meanwhile we can, they just choose not to. Whether a mask mandate is popular or not can't even being addressed because the mayor and commissioner keep lying about whether they can or not. Everybody takes them at their word. The lack of major newspaper to publicly fact check them is infuriating. 

there you have it.  Yet how many posters on this very thread are struggling with this very simple concept.

• Like (+1) 1

The only saving grace may be that if it follows the pattern like in NY, by Sept 8th, these hard hit area may be much better.  

This is entirely possible. If you look at the bell curves from around the world where the virus has truly hit hard and peaked, they all go about 6-8 weeks and then it drops off. This was the case here in NY, but also in Sweden where there were almost no lockdowns.This virus seems hell bent on proving that excessive lockdowns only delay the inevitable. I would fully expect to see things start to decline in the current hotspots like Fl, Tx, Az and even Ca by mid August. 

But there is still a large portion of the country namely the central and upper plains that have not had any major outbreaks as of yet. It would not shock me if the virus starts to crop up[more in those areas. Although there is not a lot of population density there compared to places like south Fla, or Houston Tx.

1 hour ago, Rock'em Sock'em said:

NFL folks and supporting crews must be exempt.

I can't see how a team is going to come into NYS and quarantine for 14 days before playing a game.

I also can't see how Buffalo is going to come back from an away game and quarantine for 14 days.

All very good points, but I suppose I was more thinking of the arriving players and coaches right now.

1 hour ago, GRHater69 said:

The only saving grace may be that if it follows the pattern like in NY, by Sept 8th, these hard hit area may be much better.  

This is entirely possible. If you look at the bell curves from around the world where the virus has truly hit hard and peaked, they all go about 6-8 weeks and then it drops off. This was the case here in NY, but also in Sweden where there were almost no lockdowns.

OK, I'm gonna say once again - if you want to discuss covid-19 there are threads dedicated to that purpose in Off the Wall and PPP.  I will just say here that the virus didn't just hit hard, peak, and diminish - there were extensive non-pharmaceutical interventions in every country where this happened, to more or less effect (yes, even in Sweden, and I'll be happy to debate that with you with references and all that, over on OTW, if you care to do so).

I will also be happy to debate whether lockdowns accomplish anything - in the same location.

1 hour ago, ColeB said:

The behavior of some people here in Northern California has been despicable.  A passenger on a bus in SF refused to wear a mask. When the bus driver pulled the bus over to get the passenger to leave, he was hit several times with a bat.  There was another incident a while back where a store customer started a fight because he refused to wear a mask.

The resistance to wearing masks amazes me. It's such a minor inconvenience. We're not talking about stay at home orders. Even if you aren't 100% convinced that masks help, what's the harm in wearing one just to be sure?

1 hour ago, Mango said:

Are you talking about Saratoga Springs, NY?  

I'm very confused, because I thought all of NY was under a mask mandate, so how could the mayor and commissioner decide they can't have a mask mandate?

13 minutes ago, vincec said:

The resistance to wearing masks amazes me. It's such a minor inconvenience. We're not talking about stay at home orders. Even if you aren't 100% convinced that masks help, what's the harm in wearing one just to be sure?

Exactly.  And over your freakin' nose and mouth, too, not as a chin strap.

A mask is actually hella uncomfortable if you're outside in humid 90 degree weather.  I walked the better part of a mile masked the other day in such weather, including a hill, carrying a large Sterilite bin full of masks.  I would have felt somewhat uncomfortable in those conditions without a mask, but the mask most definitely made it worse.  Yet when I took a rest and pulled a pulse oximeter out of my pocket just for shucks and jollies it read 99% O2.  I had plenty of air.

If I can save one elder - one WWII vet, one Korean war vet, one Grandmother, one person with diabetes - by being made somewhat uncomfortable but not doing myself any harm, why wouldn't I make that choice? 

I can see where an elite athlete, such as an NFL player striving for optimal athletic performance, wouldn't want to wear one while training or playing, but an ordinary Jill or Joe?  Pfffft.

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm very confused, because I thought all of NY was under a mask mandate, so how could the mayor and commissioner decide they can't have a mask mandate?

Yes sir. They keep saying that the state EO and amendment to NYS health code don’t actually given them any teeth to enforce anything for the general public. Which is true...if you operate under the assumption that municipalities can’t pass their own legislation. But that assumption would be false. 

I have actually been chasing down our Commissioner of Public Safety on this. Not necessarily that we should have any sort of penal code, but at the very least take a stance so we can begin the conversation about whether we should or not. She’s gone to the point of posting on FB (now deleted) that it was proposed at a city council meeting and shot down. It wasn’t proposed, I shared the video of said meeting on the city page. That was later removed...until I reminded them that that is illegal, and it was put back up. 

Local politics up here are a disaster. Long and short, city won’t enforce a mask mandate because they don’t want to take police away from other duties. Which is a fine opinion (that I disagree with)  but we can’t broach that until they give reason to why nothing is passing. 

Most recently I submitted a FOIA request for all communication among city officials about mask enforcement. We will see how that turns out. I imagine they push back for an appeal. About 6 hours after I submitted it they started scrubbing their social media. 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It’s the reverse in Georgia. I’m in favor of the Mayor. 

Lawsuit pending as far as I know. 

1 hour ago, Mango said:

Yes sir. They keep saying that the state EO and amendment to NYS health code don’t actually given them any teeth to enforce anything for the general public. Which is true...if you operate under the assumption that municipalities can’t pass their own legislation. But that assumption would be false. 

I have actually been chasing down our Commissioner of Public Safety on this. Not necessarily that we should have any sort of penal code, but at the very least take a stance so we can begin the conversation about whether we should or not. She’s gone to the point of posting on FB (now deleted) that it was proposed at a city council meeting and shot down. It wasn’t proposed, I shared the video of said meeting on the city page. That was later removed...until I reminded them that that is illegal, and it was put back up. 

Local politics up here are a disaster. Long and short, city won’t enforce a mask mandate because they don’t want to take police away from other duties. Which is a fine opinion (that I disagree with)  but we can’t broach that until they give reason to why nothing is passing. 

Most recently I submitted a FOIA request for all communication among city officials about mask enforcement. We will see how that turns out. I imagine they push back for an appeal. About 6 hours after I submitted it they started scrubbing their social media. 

Wow.    You Go!

A friend is a curator at the zoo, normally an office/supervise the supervisors/administrative job.  All the administrative types have been putting in shifts to help with covid-19 related extra work since the zoo reopened.  A 4 hr shift cleaning the carousel every 3rd ride on Saturday.   2 hrs, 3 days a week, going walk-about through the zoo asking people to put their mask on or pull their mask up and offering them a mask if they don't have one.  She's learned to be firm but very friendly and upbeat with a "this is expected" undertone and usually gets compliance, occasionally someone is like "it fell off in the restroom" and she offers them a new mask in plastic.  She doesn't confront, that's not her job, if someone blows her off or is rude it goes to security.

Anyway, where I'm going with this is: instead of trying to take police away from other duties, it might go a long way towards compliance to ask the mayor and the city council to each take several shifts each week :).  If they don't like that idea, perhaps they could find money to hire a college student or a furloughed worker.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Wow.    You Go!

A friend is a curator at the zoo, normally an office/supervise the supervisors/administrative job.  All the administrative types have been putting in shifts to help with covid-19 related extra work since the zoo reopened.  A 4 hr shift cleaning the carousel every 3rd ride on Saturday.   2 hrs, 3 days a week, going walk-about through the zoo asking people to put their mask on or pull their mask up and offering them a mask if they don't have one.  She's learned to be firm but very friendly and upbeat with a "this is expected" undertone and usually gets compliance, occasionally someone is like "it fell off in the restroom" and she offers them a new mask in plastic.  She doesn't confront, that's not her job, if someone blows her off or is rude it goes to security.

Anyway, where I'm going with this is: instead of trying to take police away from other duties, it might go a long way towards compliance to ask the mayor and the city council to each take several shifts each week :).  If they don't like that idea, perhaps they could find money to hire a college student or a furloughed worker.

I agree. I am unsure in what I would expect from enforcement. Part of the issue in Saratoga Springs is that all public officials make 14k per year. So only the elite can run for office. For perspective, Saratoga county is the 5th or 6th wealthiest county in the state. Basically the wealthiest that isn’t in or bordering NYC. So getting people in their “spare time” to help police their community is probably a very slim possibility.  

This all started when a young woman in my neighborhood posted on FB that she was racially profiled by the police. The commissioner went on FB and basically said if she wanted to complain some more she would pull all officers from the neighborhood and tell dispatch to stop responding to any calls in the area. That sounds pretty much triggered me. People can disagree with all sorts of things, but that is 100% not OK by a public official. My mom used to be a campaign manager in Buffalo, my sister worked on Capitol Hill, I used to work with CAO’s in Buffalo, this isn’t new for me. If she hadn’t don’t that, I’d probably be your regular citizen posting memes, attending rally’s, and standard emails to public officials with opinions. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, ColeB said:

That’s insane. What is it with all these people that have such a hard time about wearing a damn mask? Really makes me sick. If the majority of the American public had started wearing masks back in April, even May we as a country would be in so much better shape and probably wouldn’t need to be having these worries about the season starting/finishing. This is what happens when a pandemic gets politicized.

• Like (+1) 1