Sando's Annual QB Tiers (voted on by 50 NFL coaches and "evaluators")

1 minute ago, DCOrange said:

He had somewhere between 6-8 drops, including at least 1 or 2 TDs and 1 of the INTs. All of his receivers basically turned into Dawson Knox for one game and the Ravens defense was dominated all game. The Bills and Steelers were really the only two teams that gave him a very hard time.

He was bad that game. The drops were there but so were the flutters we saw vs Chargers the year prior. I don't know how else to put it. He was very not good.

9 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Also agree a fair assessment.  I have no doubt that this time next year he will pass Rivers, Goff, Tanehill, Carr & Baker. He'll be a the bottom of tier 2. Once Brees, Brady & Ben retire, Josh will move up even more.

Yep. Very fair assessment overall. And obviously there are movers up and down. Brady demoted this year, Rodgers probably should've been too. Watson moving all the way up, Allen ready to move up a notch, and very green kids off to an impressive start (Drew Lock) have a chance to move up a couple notches in a good year.

Talk about the difference between a list where coaches and evaluators do it, vs. the Top 100 craziness where players vote, when they don’t even follow other games because, oh I don’t know, they’re playing.  I’m not a big list guy like power rankings, but if done by experts who actually study the players and the game, you get a much more reasonable list.  I’m fine with Allen at 22, as I can at least admit he had a 59% completion ratio and the offense was limited last year.  Now, with everything we have now, and another year of development, I’m counting on Allen moving up to tier 2.  I don’t know if he can ever make tier 1, but then we can win a lot with a tier 2 QB.

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

He was 19/37 for 222 and 2INTs to start the 4th quarter and the Ravens were down 28-6. He was pretty good in garbage time. He was very, very bad the rest of the game.

It’s hilarious the biggest Allen fanboys have such high standards for other QBs that they don’t hold Allen to.

2 hours ago, DCOrange said:

He had somewhere between 6-8 drops, including at least 1 or 2 TDs and 1 of the INTs. All of his receivers basically turned into Dawson Knox for one game and the Ravens defense was dominated all game. The Bills and Steelers were really the only two teams that gave him a very hard time.

And even getting shut down by the Bills, he had 3 tds. 

Edited by C.Biscuit97
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It’s hilarious the biggest Allen fanboys have such high standards for other QBs that they don’t hold Allen to.

Probably time to step back and reflect when my mentioning a Lamar Jackson game triggers you. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Garbage Time sats.  Like Tyrod's "great games" 

Tyrod even had a "great game" against the Titans.  The only reason we were losing the whole game is because he sucked so bad.  Then the Bills ended up coming back and winning it and some people claimed he had "a great game," because of the comeback.  

False.

• Like (+1) 1

So there will be 21 QBs after JA on the top 100.  

I don't necessarily disagree with where they put him.  I will say that he can carry the team.  I'm in the camp that believes the team performs better in all phases because of his presence and leadership.

I'm also in the camp that believes at this point you really can't say Lamar belongs where he is because he has everything around him.

Mahomes, Wilson and Brees are the only QBs I would put in the top tier.

But some could make a strong argument that Mahomes doesn't belong because he has always been surrounded.

Wilson and Brees can do it with lesser players.

Marino did well with garbage in an era that was difficult to do so and Brady did it with mediocre.  I use these two examples to give you an idea of what I call tier 1.

No player can make up for a bad Defense.

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

Tyrod even had a "great game" against the Titans.  The only reason we were losing the whole game is because he sucked so bad.  Then the Bills ended up coming back and winning it and some people claimed he had "a great game," because of the comeback.  

False.

He did carry that team, right down the toilet bowl.  He may have had one of the best receiver groups in the league at one point.

Edited by formerlyofCtown
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Also agree a fair assessment.  I have no doubt that this time next year he will pass Rivers, Goff, Tanehill, Carr & Baker. He'll be a the bottom of tier 2. Once Brees, Brady & Ben retire, Josh will move up even more.

Rivers will move top of tier 2 next year at a minimum.  Judging by this year's list I don't think they even consider the team around them.

Baker proved last season that he doesn't belong ahead of Josh in my opinion.  He was surrounded by a beast of a roster and couldn't get it done.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 7/27/2020 at 1:07 PM, BullBuchanan said:

Based ont he definitions, I think it's pretty clear Ben is Tier 1, assuming injury plays no role in the list.
Dak is too high, Netwon (If injury isn't a factor) and Garoppolo too low, and Murray is too high. Tannehill is probably 6 games removed form Tier 4 status, but if he keeps it up, good for him.

Otherwise, it all seems plausible.

If he improves his passing game further, he'll really suck to have in our conference.

I really think we have a special QB.  I'm not a Pat's fan.  I don't want the rest of the teams to suck and have actually liked the Ravens since the had Trent Dilfer at QB(probably sounds crazy but I really liked the guy and loved that D).

2 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Rivers will move top of tier 2 next year at a minimum.  Judging by this year's list I don't think they even consider the team around them.

Baker proved last season that he doesn't belong ahead of Josh in my opinion.  He was surrounded by a beast of a roster and couldn't get it done.

Rivers won't even be a starter by the end of the season is my prediction. I have been a big Rivers fan, but watching him last year was final year Manning like. He was lobbing wobbly ducks everywhere. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Rivers won't even be a starter by the end of the season is my prediction. I have been a big Rivers fan, but watching him last year was final year Manning like. He was lobbing wobbly ducks everywhere. 

The Colts o line is pretty awesome though.  But you might be right.  I didn’t watch a lot of Rivers last year.  I’m just excited for the Colts to be down by 20 points, Rivers to throw 2 td passes, and then throw an int at the 10 yard line to lose the game.

also, this guy was on the Ryen Russillo podcast discussing the list.  Josh Allen talk was at the 55 minute mark I believe. 
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-ryen-russillo-podcast/id1433966613?i=1000486363597

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

The Colts o line is pretty awesome though.  But you might be right.  I didn’t watch a lot of Rivers last year.  I’m just excited for the Colts to be down by 20 points, Rivers to throw 2 td passes, and then throw an int at the 10 yard line to lose the game.

also, this guy was on the Ryen Russillo podcast discussing the list.  Josh Allen talk was at the 55 minute mark I believe. 
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-ryen-russillo-podcast/id1433966613?i=1000486363597

The LAC line was not good. But the line doesn't make the ball flutter like that. I think it is over for Rivers. I expect it to be Manning last season like where they end up wondering whether it is Rivers's superior brain and ability to read defenses or Brissett's arm and athleticism that is the most effective. And I think Rivers will retire once the season is done. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I really think we have a special QB.  I'm not a Pat's fan.  I don't want the rest of the teams to suck and have actually liked the Ravens since the had Trent Dilfer at QB(probably sounds crazy but I really liked the guy and loved that D).

We very well could. Based strictly on the definitions provided and the players above him, it's hard to argue he should objectively be much higher than he is right now. One season could change a lot though.