NASCAR Season

BringBackFergy

I realize the racing season is already in full swing.

Planning on attending a race in Sept or October. Either Bristol Speedway in TN, Martinsville in VA or Charlotte Speedway in October.

I am a "newbie" to NASCAR but from what I've seen in the past few months, there's quite a bit of strategy involved. These guys are in great shape (not sure I call them athletes) but their heart rate goes up to 150 during races, endurance is a must, and there's quite a bit of physics involved.  Still learning.

Anyway, despite the whole incident with the rope and the belief that only rednecks/ racists enjoy NASCAR, do any of you guys follow the sport? I assume there are many who enjoy it on TV but don't want to attend a race. I figure it's something I should do just to experience the environment and watch the cars in real life (going 190mph +)

Any favorite drivers? Favorite owners?

Anything I should look for when I go? 

Go Bills!

1 minute ago, BringBackFergy said:

@Seasons1992 Do you think there is a preferred spot to sit at the track? I was looking at tix in the final curve before the finish line. Up high or down low?

Always up high. Low is too loud and you can't see much.

I sat high up in turn 2 for the 2003 Indy 500 and I still could only see about 1/2 of the track. Although that's a huge place.

I've been to many races at Kentucky speedway, and high up is the best.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I've built and driven stock cars.  I've been to Bristol.  It's incredibly loud.  Be prepared to get ripped off if you are staying in the area.  Even the seediest hotel are 20X overpriced.  But a fun place to watch.  I also think Watkins Glen is a lot of fun.  But I agree with Seasons1992.  Smaller tracks are better.  I went to Daytona and it was like watching cars go by on the Thruway. 

1 hour ago, BringBackFergy said:

I realize the racing season is already in full swing.

Planning on attending a race in Sept or October. Either Bristol Speedway in TN, Martinsville in VA or Charlotte Speedway in October.

I am a "newbie" to NASCAR but from what I've seen in the past few months, there's quite a bit of strategy involved. These guys are in great shape (not sure I call them athletes) but their heart rate goes up to 150 during races, endurance is a must, and there's quite a bit of physics involved.  Still learning.

Anyway, despite the whole incident with the rope and the belief that only rednecks/ racists enjoy NASCAR, do any of you guys follow the sport? I assume there are many who enjoy it on TV but don't want to attend a race. I figure it's something I should do just to experience the environment and watch the cars in real life (going 190mph +)

Any favorite drivers? Favorite owners?

Anything I should look for when I go? 

Go Bills!

I believe the cars they drive don't have power steering so it really does a number on the arms 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Irv said:

I've built and driven stock cars.  I've been to Bristol.  It's incredibly loud.  Be prepared to get ripped off if you are staying in the area.  Even the seediest hotel are 20X overpriced.  But a fun place to watch.  I also think Watkins Glen is a lot of fun.  But I agree with Seasons1992.  Smaller tracks are better.  I went to Daytona and it was like watching cars go by on the Thruway. 

Thanks for the advice. So ear plugs are a must?

Do you prefer sitting along the curves or the long stretches?

1 minute ago, apuszczalowski said:

I believe the cars they drive don't have power steering so it really does a number on the arms 

I didn't realize that...add the standard transmission and there's a lot of ***** going on in the car.

22 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Thanks for the advice. So ear plugs are a must?

Do you prefer sitting along the curves or the long stretches?

I didn't realize that...add the standard transmission and there's a lot of ***** going on in the car.

I would sit on the front straight as you can also see the pit stops.  NASCAR cars have power steering.  It was introduced by Geoff Bodine many moons ago. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Irv said:

I would sit on the front straight as you can also see the pit stops.  NASCAR cars have power steering.  It was introduced by Geoff Bodine many moons ago. 

I thought I heard on Top Gear (American version with Tanner Faust) that they didn't, unless he was referring to some of the older cars. 

Been to Brickyard 500 once and that was enough, Indy500 for about 12-15 times.  Track is too big - not enough passing for NASCAR.  Comes down to pit / fuel / tire strategy.  Find a smaller track to watch.  Agree on up high so that you can see things.  And, big agree on earplugs.  What's fun sometimes is getting the radio headsets and listening to the driver / crew manager talk.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

I think Car racing is better on tv then live, unless you have pit passes or something like that. Although I guess most Nascar fans are similar to many football fans and are just there for the party/drinking and the actual race/game is secondary

Are you following a particular driver/team?

I stopped watching NASCAR about 10 years ago.  Its so stale it seems.  I cannot stand almost every race ending with a yellow flag restart.  I can't stand how races are broken into segments.  I can't stand the playoff system.  Just race X number of laps and whoever wins after that many laps wins.  Just add up points to determine the champion at the end.  Why ruin something so simple that worked for so long?

In the last 2-3 years I have started getting into Formula 1.  In my opinion it is so much more enjoyable. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.