14 Positives on Marlins

12 hours ago, Saint Doug said:

You got a lot of up votes, but there was some veracity to what that guy posted. The American Academy of Pediatrics is on record for school reopening this fall. This is the organization that comes up with all guidelines pediatricians follow. They have no political stance, nor are they part of any form of the federal government. Although, their members are left-leaning.

https://services.aap.org/en/news-room/news-releases/aap/2020/pediatricians-educators-and-superintendents-urge-a-safe-return-to-school-this-fall/

The key word here is safe return and "the medical community" is not advocating for all schools just to open and have kids there 5 days a week in all circumstances.  Here's a quote from that link and this is where the problem comes in.

"Local school leaders, public health experts, educators and parents must be at the center of decisions about how and when to reopen schools, taking into account the spread of COVID-19 in their communities and the capacities of school districts to adapt safety protocols to make in-person learning safe and feasible. For instance, schools in areas with high levels of COVID-19 community spread should not be compelled to reopen against the judgment of local experts A one-size-fits-all approach is not appropriate for return to school decisions.

Reopening schools in a way that maximizes safety, learning, and the well-being of children, teachers, and staff will clearly require substantial new investments in our schools and campuses."

I'm not saying schools shouldn't re-open or that there aren't substantial benefits to kids in having the buildings open.  Clearly there are.  What I'm saying is that the guidance that exists does not work in so many circumstances that it is virtually useless.  There has been no substantial investment in the campuses. There is no way to distance people safely in the structures that many districts have. There are 930 students in the building I work in.  My class sizes range from 30-38.  The kids sit on top of one another.  There is no place to spread them out. There are no unused classrooms in our building there is no money to procure trailers to add additional classrooms and definitely no money to add staff to teach in those classrooms.  So we then start talking about staggering schedules.  OK, well if a kid is in school twice a week and home the other three, or whatever break out you want, you haven't solved the core reason why so many people want the buildings open, so the parents can go back to work.  So what you will have still is a situation where parents either need to be home for kids who are too young to watch themselves, leave the kids home alone, or try to find some sort of day care option that A. has space, B. they can afford, and C. will accept a kid for a select number of days per week.  

Here's another example of how the guidance doesn't work.  The most recent thing I've heard is to have kids in self-contained pods with one teacher.  Well, that works for elementary school just fine.  That doesn't work in high school.  The teacher who teaches 11th grade English isn't qualified to teach calculus.  They aren't certified to do so, they don't have the expertise to do so, and it's not something you can quickly pick up in 3 weeks to be able to do.  So either the kids or the teachers need to move.  Again working on this pod idea. It is virtually impossible to create a pod of kids at the high school level who are all in the same level of classes across the board.  So again, you are either moving the kids around so they can get what they need or you are moving the teachers around.  There isn't a way to do that sort of thing at that level.  My school is a middle school so it's a bit of all of these issues.  The 6th graders are too young to manage themselves at home, everyone moves to different classes and has different levels, you have many teachers who aren't cross trained to teach everything (I am certified to teach every subject and Spec Ed. I'm the only one in my building like that). So how do you do this in a way that achieves people's goals and yet is still safeish.

There are simple problems that I still haven't heard an answer to such as transportation.  How do you socially distance on a bus?  In order to follow guidelines kids would have to be no more than one to a seat.  That cuts your capacity in at least half and younger kids often sit 3 to a seat.  There isn't a pool of empty buses (or people to drive them) just sitting around.  Staggering schedules might address some of that but then you get into the other issues I mentioned as well as a host more.  I work with our transportation company pretty closely coordinating sports buses and I can tell you that they don't have enough drivers in a regular year and a lot of the drivers they have are older people.  That is going to be a disaster. 

Substitute teachers are similar.  Lots are retired teachers.  You can't compel them to take assignments, they are able to pick and choose where, when, and if they want to work.  I'm expecting MANY of them not to be working this year.  So when you have a teacher get sick there isn't going to be a replacement.  Again, we have trouble getting subs in a regular year.  If we have more than 5 people out in a day normally the additional spots don't get filled.  On a Monday or a Friday in the winter it's more like 3 and we can have 10-15 people out sometimes in a regular year. When that happens, and the spots don't get picked up, administrators teach class and/or we consolidate classes into the gym or the auditorium and do what we need to do to get through the day.  Well, if you are distancing you can't consolidate classes like that so what do you do?  We only have 3 administrators.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

Again - whose theory is it? Something "they" found but not proven. Who are "they?"

the WHO.  go look it up.  Again, I'd like to be very clear it isn't proven but there is some thought behind it.  

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, SCBills said:

As opposed to those who only seem to care about COVID deaths while downplaying the tremendous side effects resulting from the lockdowns.... job loss, business closures, Suicide, drug overdose, domestic abuse, children falling behind in school etc etc etc.  

How come 90% of the COVID concern folks I encounter don’t seem to give a **** about any of that.   I know why... because it’s a distraction from what they want to focus on.  

COVID isn’t a hoax. It should be taken seriously.  We should wear masks and socially distance.  A limited lockdown was warranted. .....but we’re into some bs now and the self righteous are beyond transparent at this point. 

My mother had Covid back in March and she hasn't had the same level of energy to do anything since. Many reports show lung and respiratory damage from Covid similar to those who have had heart attacks have heart damage. I think looking only at deaths could be seriously misleading.

We already are at 150k dead with no end in sight but we are piling up over 1% of the population testing positive and potentially getting long term health consequences. 

People act like you can choose between Covid safety and the economy. As though you could choose the economy over Covid. You know what isn't good for the economy? 6 figures worth of people dead (thus no longer spending money) and millions of people (if not tens of millions of people) having possible long term health issues brought on by having Covid.

We could have found a way to save the economy by having a rent/mortgage freeze and a UBI over massive corporate bailouts but we ***** this up and not only didn't handle the virus but scared the economy short and long term.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

You are dead right about the first piece. Republicans would have been absolutely terrible situation reversed. 

That said, Trump didn't call it a hoax. I feel like that has been fact-checked enough that people shouldn't still be making that claim. 

Close enough - 

Edited by cd1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

the WHO.  go look it up.  Again, I'd like to be very clear it isn't proven but there is some thought behind it.  

He would rather not read any science and just judge your comments.

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

The only thought behind it is that someone with the WHO came out and said it with absolutely nothing to back it up.   Other thoughts say that nearly half of all infections were spread by asymptomatic people.  

It's irresponsible to just state something as fact when it's not even close to being factual.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/06/09/who-comments-asymptomatic-spread-covid-19/

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

He would rather not read any science and just judge your comments.

Is there really any "science" behind something that even aristo clearly describes as "isn't proven" and merely "some thought behind it"?

There could be lots of "thoughts". Just because some people come up with a theoretical idea doesn't mean there is anything behind it. Especially when even those people are saying nothing has been proven.

Do not mistake "having thoughts" for "intelligence and science".

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Gugny said:

The only thought behind it is that someone with the WHO came out and said it with absolutely nothing to back it up.   Other thoughts say that nearly half of all infections were spread by asymptomatic people.  

It's irresponsible to just state something as fact when it's not even close to being factual.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/06/09/who-comments-asymptomatic-spread-covid-19/

https://health.ucdavis.edu/coronavirus/resources/covid-19-faqs-for-health-professionals.html#:~:text=asymptomatic transmission may occur and,than individuals with symptoms.

less likely, limited spread.  i nowhere stated in any way that it was fact. 

2 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

This is very depressing news.

It only takes 1 team with a serious outbreak to throw a monkey wrench in the whole league when it comes to scheduling.

Piss poor state management of Covid 19 in certain states is going to throw a monkey wrench in anything trying to be accomplished Nationally.

Sigh... 

20 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Okay sir!!! I will deliver what you asked for right now sir!!! 

Now show me what i ask for..show me all states with declining case counts over the last 3 weeks and whether they are mask vs non mask states. You will find zero linkage, guarantreed. 

Well here's the states with graphs of cases, but you have to assume that that most states effectively do not have mask orders, as it's not being enforced. If only some of the people use masks some of the time, it's completely pointless. You need a majority doing it a majority of the time.

https://www.endcoronavirus.org/states

The larger problem is that there's things we think we know to be true, but they aren't backed up by the kind of studies we'd like to see. This is just too new. But there's a growing consensus around certain best practices. Outdoors is far better than indoors. Creating a "bubble" is very effective. Travel is dangerous. How do these fit within our major sports leagues?

1. Best: NBA, Women's Soccer. The "bubble" model. Travel exponentially increases the likelihood of exposure/infection. It is not perfect, but so far it appears to present an acceptable level of risk for participants, and a reasonably good likelihood that a revised "season" may be both started AND finished. Let's say 80%.

2. Better: NHL. Not exactly a bubble, but travel is restricted -- the only team travel that will happen is when we hit the Stanley Cup finals. There's good reason to believe that the indoor climate of hockey -- cool temps, on ice -- is conducive to spread (see the meat packing plant outbreaks). So that's another worry. It will be an interesting experiment, but I think it's more likely than not that the tournament can be started AND finished. Let's say 65%.

3. Not so good: MLB. We already have a very significant outbreak, so far confined to one team. But ... way too much travel, and traveling parties are large (30 man rosters now, plus all kinds of affiliated coaches and personnel). Teams typically traveling 2-3 times/week. The good thing is that baseball is about as solitary a game itself as any team sport -- really only the hitter/catcher/homeplate ump (and for extended times only the latter two) are in close contact for any extended time on the field. And most of this is outdoors (even empty domed stadiums don't seem likely to present the risks we see even in air conditioned office buildings). But I'm skeptical they'll get anything resembling their plan completed. I am assuming, at a minimum, another shutdown/restart. Chances of finishing the season (with such a restart)? Let's say 50%.

4. NFL. Terrible. Part of it is just the nature of the game. Players in extremely close proximity while the game is in progress. There may be face shields, etc., but whether they're effective remains to be seen. Huge teams/traveling parties. Weekly travel. No bubble or quasi-bubble. (Q. Why not? At least at the start of the year?). Chances that the season starts, that we get in substantially the full schedule (even assuming a 2 or 3 week shutdown) AND finish the playoffs/Super Bowl? I'd say unlikely. Let's call it 35%.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

36 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Is there really any "science" behind something that even aristo clearly describes as "isn't proven" and merely "some thought behind it"?

There could be lots of "thoughts". Just because some people come up with a theoretical idea doesn't mean there is anything behind it. Especially when even those people are saying nothing has been proven.

Do not mistake "having thoughts" for "intelligence and science".

Right. Not every thought that a scientist has is science. Hell, I even saw a pretty sketchy publication of a 5G/COVID article and everyone was screaming "SEE!?", not knowing that getting published is basically step 1 of scientific veracity. You check the associations and it's an online university in Italy founded in 2004. So...

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Then why even bring it up?  It’s about a half step above injecting bleach and shoving a light bulb up your ass and adds nothing to the conversation.  The only reference to the spread as it relates to asymptomatic transmission in the article you linked is COVID-19 may also be spread by people who are not showing symptoms (i.e., “asymptomatic”). According to the CDC, 35% of all people with COVID-19 are asymptomatic. However, those individuals are still as infectious as people with symptoms.  

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Billl said:

Then why even bring it up?  It’s about a half step above injecting bleach and shoving a light bulb up your ass and adds nothing to the conversation.  The only reference to the spread as it relates to asymptomatic transmission in the article you linked is COVID-19 may also be spread by people who are not showing symptoms (i.e., “asymptomatic”). According to the CDC, 35% of all people with COVID-19 are asymptomatic. However, those individuals are still as infectious as people with symptoms.  

why not bring it up?  it's no different than gugs saying nearly all people who are asymptomatic spread the disease right?  but you haven't called him out on that have you?   because they have found asymptomatic people aren't spreading that doesn't mean it doesn;t exist, or you dont have to wear a mask or anything.   

1 hour ago, Figster said:

This is very depressing news.

It only takes 1 team with a serious outbreak to throw a monkey wrench in the whole league when it comes to scheduling.

Piss poor state management of Covid 19 in certain states is going to throw a monkey wrench in anything trying to be accomplished Nationally.

Sigh... 

my 2 cents.  If you can't control your Professional players.   You forfeit games. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

This is interesting to me, how can the league just "pause" a teams season.  Do that mean every game scheduled will be moved, or every game they cannot play they forfeit? 

Because the leagues arent focused or worried about which team wins a championship, or if there even is a championship. They are just trying to capture as much revenue as possible. If they need to cut out a few teams, but still have some teams playing and generating revenue, they're gonna do it.