14 Positives on Marlins

4 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Well then until we have a cure for the flu, school should be out of the question. Let's start an interest group.

You're free to wage that campaign, but we aren't discussing solving the flu here.

2 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Brilliant.

If that's what passes for brilliant, RIP our education system.

Edited by BullBuchanan

Just now, BullBuchanan said:

You're free to wage that campaign, but we aren't discussing solving the flu here.

We need to man. Almost 200 kids died last year. No one cares. Teachers go to work, schools open, and kids die.

COVID in schools is the real distraction from the pandemic that's killing our kids.  Teachers should learn to code.  Schools shouldn't reopen. Not until there's a cure.

Just now, FireChans said:

We need to man. Almost 200 kids died last year. No one cares. Teachers go to work, schools open, and kids die.

COVID in schools is the real distraction from the pandemic that's killing our kids.  Teachers should learn to code.  Schools shouldn't reopen. Not until there's a cure.

Good luck with your campaign. I think you'll find it a difficult one.

13 minutes ago, Billl said:

You understand that comparing what a disease does when there is a lockdown in place versus what a different disease does under normal circumstances is intellectually dishonest, right?  If we knew that COVID would cause roughly as many deaths as the flu, I think most people would be okay with opening everything.  That just isn’t the case, though.

People were comparing this to the flu months ago.  The flu kills around 40,000 Americans annually.  COVID has quadrupled that in 4 months even with all of the social distancing and other precautions that have been taken.  This is nothing like the flu.

Other than that, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?

Are flu cases down due to the lockdown? They should be if masks and social distancing work as advertised.

My guess is the flu will be just as common and just as deadly regardless of what people do. But that's the pessimist in me, I think.

Nothing that I have seen has shown to seriously impact the spread of disease except immunity. COVID-19 will be around until we all build up some immunity. The goal is to try to not overwhelm the hospitals, which is why we are doing all these unproven things.

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Very few things will ever be 100% safe. As a society, we have to determine where to draw the line between risk and reward. To most people, keeping schools closed for Covid-19 vs the flu ...the line seems to be between them.  Your very linear argument seems to be ignoring that.

So why would many prefer to keep schools closed for Covid and not the  yearly flu? Everything we know so far says Covid has a higher hospitilization rate, higher death rate, more long term issues that arrive in people who recover from it, and there is no vacccine for Covid (if a huge, wide spread outbreak of the flu occurred, we have several vaccines available that could be administered in the community)

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, Billl said:

Remember when we put the entire country on lockdown for 4 months to stop the flu and it still killed 1,000 people a day for 4 months straight while cases continued to increase exponentially?

Remember how the countries that stuck to a lockdown and didn't turn wearing a comfortable piece of cloth on your face a political issue have a lot lower cases and are now opening up their economies? 

6 minutes ago, MJS said:

Are flu cases down due to the lockdown? They should be if masks and social distancing work as advertised.

My guess is the flu will be just as common and just as deadly regardless of what people do. But that's the pessimist in me, I think.

Nothing that I have seen has shown to seriously impact the spread of disease except immunity. COVID-19 will be around until we all build up some immunity. The goal is to try to not overwhelm the hospitals, which is why we are doing all these unproven things.

Why was it that the nations that took the virus most seriously are having the best results? The EU vs. USA numbers are alarming. People are acting like there isn't a real world example of an approach working better than science denial.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

Presuming we'll ever even have a vaccine seems very optimistic given there are only around 20 viral vaccines. I think we need to put out the fire first, and then worry about moving back into the house. When our case count starts to look more like Europe, it'll be more appropriate to make those things a priority.

I'm worried about that.  Reinfection might tell the story there.  I wonder if the "vaccine" will end up being a seasonal thing, kind of like a flu shot.  Or if the vaccine will actually be shot that we get two or three or four times a year that helps as to avoid, but doesn't completely insulate us from, COVID. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

There have been more Studebakers made than Teslas, so Studebaker is a more popular car right now.

Same logic.

I think he is saying that year to date more children have died from the flu than COVID. I suspect this is true, but am willing to be proven wrong.  It certainly is deadlier than the flu overall.  

I see this on children under 14:  "Recent CDC data shows a total of six confirmed COVID-19 deaths of children under the age of 14. And as the virus spreads further we'll most likely see more."  https://www.babycenter.com/0_coronavirus-update-covid-19-infections-in-children-less-seve_40006924.bc

And this on typical flu deaths for children:  Even though the reported number of deaths during the 2017-2018 flu season was 187, CDC’s mathematical models that account for the underreporting of flu-related deaths in children estimate the actual number was closer to 600. https://www.cdc.gov/flu/highrisk/children.htm

Edited by Arkady Renko

You're exactly right. The flu has killed way more kids.

I don't believe he said that.  This virus has thankfully spared the young and schools must reopen based off the research.  However, this virus is highly contagious and is much more deadly for the elderly and those with preexisting conditions.  You saw that over the past week with deaths spiking in FL, TX, CA, and AZ to the point where we were averaging over a thousand a day again.

Edited by Doc Brown

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

I don't believe he said that.  This virus has thankfully spared the young and schools must reopen based off the research.  However, this virus is highly contagious and is much more deadly for the elderly and those with preexisting conditions.  You saw that over the past week with deaths spiking in FL, TX, CA, and AZ to the point where we were averaging over a thousand a day again.

https://ktla.com/news/nationworld/child-hospitalizations-from-covid-19-rise-23-in-florida-weeks-ahead-of-school-reopenings/

Child hospitalizations from COVID-19 rise 23% in Florida weeks ahead of school reopenings

On July 16, the state had a total of 23,170 children ages 17 and under who had tested positive since the beginning of the pandemic, according to the Florida Department of Health. By July 24, that number jumped to 31,150.

That’s a 34% increase in new cases among children in eight days.

And more children in Florida are requiring hospitalization. As of July 16, 246 children had been hospitalized with coronavirus. By July 24, that number had jumped to 303.

That’s a 23% increase in child Covid-19 hospitalizations in eight days.

• Like (+1) 2

If you're gonna play, "what about the dozen kids" card, then why can't I ask why you were okay with sending your brat to public school as 100-150 kids died of flu every year? What about them?

From what I've read what makes everyone more concerned with Covid compared to seasonal flu is that it's much more contagious and easier to catch and spread.  In addition we have had years of dealing with the flu and have a better idea on how to treat it.  We're also much earlier in the cycle than seasonal flu.  The hard hit areas have only been that way for maybe 2 to 3 months, then it jumps someplace else because very little to stop it's spread.  By the end of 2020 at the rate wer're going likely will be at the same if not higher levels than seasonal flu.  I just found one site that stated there were 30 deaths of kids under the age of 15 and that was only thru July 14th.    Seasonal flu for whatever reason dies off in the warmer weather, believe that was something Trump had a hunch would happen too with Covid.

Also when comparing it to the seasonal flu how come there were never reports of hospitals and ICU's overflowing in bad areas?  I've yet to hear an explanation to that from everyone who says "this is just like the flu"!  That was the idea behind flattening the curve, yes will still be bad, but at manageable levels as opposed to places that can't handle it.  Again for whatever reason the flu seams to follow a much flatter spread so can keep up better. or just isn't as contagious, maybe because there's already a vaccine out there.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Like A Mofo said:

Maybe its time to get, you know, priorities in order and shut down sports altogether and get this damn virus under control. And we can, you know, come together as 1 and fight this so we can all resume normalcy sooner. Putting band aids on this will not slow the spread at all.

The only problem with your position is that, this country can not come together as one. It is too fractured, too individualistic and too competitive to ever be united. Yeah I know it is called the United States but that ain’t the reality. Never mind what is going on the streets; take a look at this board. It is split on just about everything. 

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

Good luck with your campaign. I think you'll find it a difficult one.

That poster makes a valid counter-argument in my eyes.... not as a direct comparison to COVID, which has no vaccine, but to shine the light on the hypocrisy (or lack of realism) among the crowd that shouts down those who want to re-open schools as not caring about children.   

Edited by SCBills