14 Positives on Marlins

13 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Theres no "waves."

This isn't the flu.  Most countries that immediately headed for their basements never got the saturation it needed to die out.  

It needs to run its course.  Shutting down life indefinitely is not a solution. 

The analogy of it being a forest fire is spot on.  

You might as well wear a flashing sign that says you don't understand science.  Letting it "run its course" sounds like something my grandpa would've said in the 1950's. There's absolutely zero benefit to that. Viruses don't die out when they get bored of infecting people, but when they can't continue to spread.

First of all, it appears as though there is not immunity from this virus after contracting it. Second, in order to "let it run its course" you're talking about million dead in the US alone and millions more with permanent organ damage, strokes, etc. Stop the spread, kill the virus. No amount of "toughen up" fixes that.

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Like (+1) 5

Philies/Yankees game cancelled.

What's going on now is still part of the first wave. If there is a second wave, it will be next year, the year after or even after that.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I don't know who you are quoting there.  I googled a piece of your quote, and I found nothing. It goes without saying that there are prerequisites to getting to a place where we can reopen schools. The problem is that the posturing does even get us there. On one side, all that is being said is that we have to reopen. On the other side, they are only saying that we shouldn't even try.  Obsessing over this stage of the debate means we can't get to a place where we figure out how to meet the prereqs necessary to open schools.  

Unfortunately, that stage of the debate IS important since one side seems to feel there is an acceptable level of teacher and student deaths.

The acceptable amount of teacher deaths is zero.

The acceptable amount of student deaths is zero.

Plan the prereqs from there. If we can't, then we aren't ready to send them back.

• Like (+1) 4

53 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Its not possible if you don't take precautions and do whats required

People who have been following every precaution can still get it because those that aren't can still spread it and the precautions are mostly to help you from spreading, not to prevent you from getting it. In places where they have taken it seriously and the majority of the people are following the recommendations/Orders, the spread has slowed down (Just look north where an entire country has less cases them some states have had deaths in a day.

And their policies aren't working to well if they are reopening and allowing vacationers to come from other areas 

Seems to follow major population centers to me. Areas that are less densely populated are less affected.

15 minutes ago, Bill Lewes said:

interesting ... source?

14 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Where did you see that????????????????

Link? What professionals did you 'see'????

Very well sourced and researched article authored by 4 professors at Harvard's School of Public Health PLenty of links to studies to substantiate claims views.

May have to copy and paste link in incognito mode to get past paywall

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/07/20/opinion/listen-science-reopen-schools/

• Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Dopey said:

I live in Fl and Gov. Desantis is acting like Trump in this. Deny , deflect. And the kicker is he's blaming others from the NE.

These days the CDC is a Trump mouthpiece spewing lies. Other countries are at a point where they can play baseball (S. Korea) because they took this seriously from the beginning, while our leadership said "it's just a flu, we're fine".

Oh, so we can't trust the CDC now? Then who do we trust? All the data out there is compromised then and nobody knows anything.

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Unfortunately, that stage of the debate IS important since one side seems to feel there is an acceptable level of teacher and student deaths.

Plan the prereqs from there. If we can't, then we aren't ready to send them back.

So teachers are officially the only American worker exempt from risk? I mean, rhetorically, everything you say sounds great. It's just complete gibberish.  Let me give you some other comparisons: 

If even one teacher could die from a car accident on the way to work, school should be cancelled. 

If even one teacher could die from the flu, school should be cancelled. 

If even one teacher could die from slipping and falling on the steps, school should be cancelled. 

You need to start over with your baseline expectation. 

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Like A Mofo said:

Maybe its time to get, you know, priorities in order and shut down sports altogether and get this damn virus under control. And we can, you know, come together as 1 and fight this so we can all resume normalcy sooner. Putting band aids on this will not slow the spread at all.

I disagree.  We need to all be responsible - wear masks, socially distance etc., but locking down is the definition of a band-aid.   And that band-aid comes with a ton of side effects like job loss, business failure, suicide, drug abuse, psychological harm and educational impact to children etc..  I'm not saying act as if all is well, but this virus isn't going away... We simply have to learn how to live with it.  

Edited by SCBills

7 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

cmon , that's not doable. something like  30 kids die every year from the flu, 2017-2018 like 87..way more than will die from this..should we close schools every year during flu season

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

cmon , that's not doable. something like  30 kids die every year from the flu last year,,87 in bad years..should we close schools every year?

8 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

These kind of statements are about politics, not science.  I'm referring to Dr.Dawkenstein, of course, not plenzmd1. 

Edited by JoshAllenHasBigHands

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

Nope, just have to wait for the weather to get warmer so it all goes away just like the Flu!

that’s even funnier the 2,000th time I heard someone repeat that!  You comedian, you.

• Like (+1) 1

Can't wait for the NFL to absolutely implode, gonna be awesome watching these guys lose mountains of money as it already stands, hope they lose more. Can't even put into words how much I want this to fail. Most arrogant, greedy group of owners in any major sport, willing to sell their players, coaches, and staffs' families for profit none actually needs. 

24 minutes ago, MJS said:

Seems to follow major population centers to me. Areas that are less densely populated are less affected.

Bingo.  I live in the South.  The rural areas are filled with people who refuse to wear masks and just act as if nothing is going on.  Can't really blame them too much though, because in the rural areas, this isn't really an issue.   

I live in Atlanta.  Everywhere I go in, and around, the city... People are, in fact, wearing masks.   Everywhere I go, and where I live, are where the hot spots leading to the massive surge of cases have been in Georgia.  

People just have talking points and stick with them.   I do believe in wearing masks, but if we're being real.. this has more to do with population density than it does mask philosophy.

Edited by SCBills
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Bill Lewes said:

interesting ... source?

the american academy for peds.  we had a long discussion with our peds as well concerning it.  they're on board.

30 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Where did you see that????????????????

pretty much everywhere.

5 minutes ago, zonabb said:

Can't wait for the NFL to absolutely implode, gonna be awesome watching these guys lose mountains of money as it already stands, hope they lose more. Can't even put into words how much I want this to fail. Most arrogant, greedy group of owners in any major sport, willing to sell their players, coaches, and staffs' families for profit none actually needs. 

I guess you missed that whole #wewanttoplay thing

9 minutes ago, zonabb said:

wait to you see 1600 of the 2000 players going broke with no jobs this year...

2 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

The NFL better do a bubble and start the season in October at this point.

Not trying to be an a**, but what would starting in October instead of September do? If anything, I would think a start around March would be best. Let the first round of vaccines make their rounds. Assuming all goes well with them. 

Edited by PetermansRedemption

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Countries like France, UK, Spain etc., are seeing dramatic increases in cases again.   We are definitely not alone in dealing with a second wave..  It's everywhere again.

We aren’t even to the second wave yet, though.  This is still the first go-round.