2020 NFL top 100 - Josh Allen comes in at #87, Diggs #54, Tre White # 47

Talk about being pleasantly surprised.  Funny that I don’t see any of our resident Josh Allen critics in this thread.  Are we all still stupid homers now that the players have put Allen in the top 100?

This has to make Josh feel good, knowing he is respected by his peers despite constantly being hammered by the analytics crowd and those who predicted “bust.”

• Like (+1) 4

6 hours ago, buffalo2218 said:

Those would be extremely salty tears from Jet fans. They love criticizing Allen yet are blind to Darnold's deficiencies, and Gase isn't the only reason for it either. Not sure what to think about Allen being ranked in the top 100. I believe Jet fans know Darnold won't be in the ranking at all, so that's another reason to throw shade at Allen. This rivalry is gonna turn ugly in a hurry, especially if Allen improves this year. But before he does that, I sincerely hope some retribution is in order for Harry Anderson. I haven't forgotten that scumbag move he made on Allen cutting his legs out from under him from behind

Josh has played only 2 meaningful vs. the Jets.  In 2018 the game was one of his worst clutch performances in that he threw a late 4th quarter pick on a rollout to the the right and a cross body heave.  To make it even worse, I think it was a first down play, early in the drive, IIRC.  Those type of ints largely disappeared after the Patriots game and Josh got better at either picking a legit target or throwing it away but that 2018 Jets game was one of his worst  performances in the clutch.

The 2019 game was certainly an unimpressive 3 quarters of football but we would tend to want to call most of that due to fluky turnovers.

All this is to say is that we generally think of other teams'  QBs in terms of how they played against the Bills.  How many of us really believe in what Ryan Tannehill did last year and are really concerned about playing him this year?  So, I think I can understand some of the Jets' fans view.  Dolphins fans know better given the 4 games Josh played against them.

As for Josh, I think this is mostly a "futures" sentiment.  Most everything is trending up for Josh in 2020: roster and coaching continuity, addition of a premium WR talent, the foundation of a solid 2019 playoff season and his own growth mindset.  He owns his deficiencies, balls out, has physically dominated a number of good defenders, never shows up his teammates and maintains a positive public persona all the while dedicating himself toward personal improvement.  He is not a prima donna QB and other players around the league respect that, I think.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I expected him to be in there and somewhere in that bottom 15 or 20 of the list. I imagine as a defender trying to play him he is a nightmare.

Absolutely. He is 6'5 245 of steel with legs like tree trunks to run with

Not to mention he's a wizard in the pocket already

THEN the fact he has a legendary cannon attached to his right shoulder....

Yeah I'd say he pretty hard to gamelan and play against

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I expected him to be in there and somewhere in that bottom 15 or 20 of the list. I imagine as a defender trying to play him he is a nightmare.

The NBA has a thing about players not wanting to be "posterized."  Think of the defenders Josh has posterized.  Barr X3, Alonso X?, Ngakoue, Lee, etc.  Lots of poor angles in pursuit, some embarrassing stiff arm put downs, broken tackles, broken ankles and the like.  My suspicion is that since most defenders are a physically proud bunch and that when a QB beats them physically (it's rare) it earns their respect.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

The NBA has a thing about players not wanting to be "posterized."  Think of the defenders Josh has posterized.  Barr X3, Alonso X?, Ngakoue, Lee, etc.  Lots of poor angles in pursuit, some embarrassing stiff arm put downs, broken tackles, broken ankles and the like.  My suspicion is that since most defenders are a physically proud bunch and that when a QB beats them physically (it's rare) it earns their respect.

Yep, absolutely that. Defensive players judging that are not looking at the areas where we all know Josh needs to continue developing. They are looking at "when I play him can he make all the throws to beat me with his arm? Can he break contain and embarrass me with his legs? Is he easy to tackle and get down?" Josh is a nightmare in those ways. Things like processing speed and decision making and consistency factor into these things less than pure playmaking ability - and it is that pure playmaking ability that Josh has in spades.

• Like (+1) 2

This is good for Allen that players are starting to respect him (how many votes) but honestly, what does it really mean?  Baker was 50th last year and Goff was 32.  Thielen was ranked 40 spots higher than Diggs, who has become Jerry Rice since we got him.  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Top_100_Players_of_2019

Also, most players are awful talent evaluators.  The great Jim Kelly wanted us to drafted Tim Tebow.  

but good for Allen.  he definitely has been crapped more in public by current players than most guys. Now, let’s really see it. 

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep, absolutely that. Defensive players judging that are not looking at the areas where we all know Josh needs to continue developing. They are looking at "when I play him can he make all the throws to beat me with his arm? Can he break contain and embarrass me with his legs? Is he easy to tackle and get down?" Josh is a nightmare in those ways. Things like processing speed and decision making and consistency factor into these things less than pure playmaking ability - and it is that pure playmaking ability that Josh has in spades.

Well said.  It’s this boring stuff that makes good to great qbs.  It’s why Mahomes and Allen have similar physical skills but where Mahomes kills him as a passer.  Even the harshest Allen critics don’t question his physical skills.  But it’s the consistency from play to play and recognizing coverages that people worry about. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, MJS said:

Especially Jets fans. They should know better having seen him play more. Dolphins and even Patriots fans have at least a little respect for him.

Jets took Darnold above Allen, then laughed at us for taking the "wrong Josh."  Now they have to play us twice a year.  Of course they want him to fail.

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

This is good for Allen that players are starting to respect him (how many votes) but honestly, what does it really mean?  Baker was 50th last year and Goff was 32.  Thielen was ranked 40 spots higher than Diggs, who has become Jerry Rice since we got him.  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Top_100_Players_of_2019

Also, most players are awful talent evaluators.  The great Jim Kelly wanted us to drafted Tim Tebow.  

but good for Allen.  he definitely has been crapped more in public by current players than most guys. Now, let’s really see it. 

Honestly, doesn't mean nothing other than respect by your peers.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Honestly, doesn't mean nothing other than respect by your peers.  

Yup and for Allen, who has been disrespected a lot, it definitely probably means a lot.  So I’m happy for him.  But there are some hilarious players top 100 lists if you look back. 

great player does not equal great talent evaluator. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, SCBills said:

I can’t help but think about Diggs calling Josh Allen “a dawg” when asked about playing with him.  

Game recognize game.  

Players aren’t out here evaluating other guys in the league based on draft concerns and whatever analytics fit their confirmation bias. 

Will be interesting to see what other QBs are voted top 100. 

I personally think he’s a corrected deep ball away from being an absolute monster. 

I saw the firs two series of 10, from 100 down to 80, ans I think QB KyleR Murray made it to 91ish... 

Edited by BuffaLoko

12 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Twitter is going ballistic right now over Allen. It’s like a toddler throwing a tantrum just stomping and shaking their head. 

I honestly will never understand the hate for dude that keeps a relatively low profile in a small market. It’s odd 

It's because most people don't watch him play. All they know is what they hear on ESPN and read on PFF. I mean if you hear Mike Greenberg talk you'd swear his Jets were the 10 win team last year. Anyone dares to say anything positive about Allen he throws a hissy fit.

3 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

It's because most people don't watch him play. All they know is what they hear on ESPN and read on PFF. I mean if you hear Mike Greenberg talk you'd swear his Jets were the 10 win team last year. Anyone dares to say anything positive about Allen he throws a hissy fit.

It goes both ways.  He is definitely overrated on this board for what he actually has produced.  

think about it.  How would feel if a sub 200 Passing yard/ game qb made it if he wasn’t on the Bills?  Hell, half the people trash Lamar Jackson after he won a MVP.

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It goes both ways.  He is definitely overrated on this board for what he actually has produced.  

think about it.  How would feel if a sub 200 Passing yard/ game qb made it if he wasn’t on the Bills?  Hell, half the people trash Lamar Jackson after he won a MVP.

Technically speaking on Passing yards/per game, Lamar is a sub 200 yard passer as well.  Just saying.  I know he killed it in TDs and completion% compared to Allen.

12 hours ago, SCBills said:

I honestly don’t vibe with the whole “took his team to the playoffs” reasoning.  I mean, ok, sure, but our defense and schedule probably played just as big of a part.  Allen absolutely was clutch, and money in the Red Zone.  However, he missed a lot of big money throws....the throws we drafted him for aka the QB who can score from anywhere.  

That said, he’s shown enough of everything else that I believe, as long as the deep ball is corrected, Josh Allen will be a straight up monster moving forward. 

*especially with the talent infusion on offense and “hopefully” receivers that don’t lead the league in drops again. 

Ok Football is a team sport, and our defense is great. I'll give you those two but that is where we part ways my friend. Here's why

1. QB is the most important position on the field.
  2. We made it to the playoffs
  3. He was tied for the lead for most 4th quarter comebacks
  4. He'd have had another comeback win only for the BS call on Ford in the Houston game.
  5. The best you can offer as a counter argument is "probably"

We do not get to the playoffs without Allen

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Who hurt you so badly. Gotta say you are one miserable dude. You should get yourself a blankie and try and cheer up. 

Personally I like having a QB that can come back and win games. It's somethings most fans covet. You would be happier in life if you took the time to recognize positives and improvements rather that expending all your energy finding flaws. Just saying....

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Ok Football is a team sport, and our defense is great. I'll give you those two but that is where we part ways my friend. Here's why

1. QB is the most important position on the field.
  2. We made it to the playoffs
  3. He was tied for the lead for most 4th quarter comebacks
  4. He'd have had another comeback win only for the BS call on Ford in the Houston game.
  5. The best you can offer as a counter argument is "probably"

We do not get to the playoffs without Allen

Who hurt you so badly. Gotta say you are one miserable dude. You should get yourself a blankie and try and cheer up. 

Personally I like having a QB that can come back and win games. It's somethings most fans covet. You would be happier in life if you took the time to recognize positives and improvements rather that expending all your energy finding flaws. Just saying....

Sick burn bro 

8 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Technically speaking on Passing yards/per game, Lamar is a sub 200 yard passer as well.  Just saying.  I know he killed it in TDs and completion% compared to Allen.

He was 208 last year.  But you can’t put down Jackson and prop up Allen at this point.  It’s kinda insane.  

but I do agree with you that this has to be good for Allen’s confidence even if it means very little in reality. 

10 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

30 TDs, 10 wins, most game winning drives and 4th quarter comebacks, one of top passers under 20 yards, etc.  

While:  Being his 2nd season, working with a messy WR group, most drops in NFL, 9 new starters on offense, running one of most complicated offenses in NFL, multiple rookie starters around him, a trio of WRs averaging 5’10”, and pass protection that often broke down.

I don’t think he’s over rated...his biggest Achilles heal was the deep ball, and that vastly improved down the stretch and now has a whole off season commutes to improving it.

Calling it out now:  Josh Allen will finish the 2020 season as a top 10 QB.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1