Bills need to get to 81 players by start of TC

1 minute ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Is this first 3 weeks the conditioning period? Was that agreed upon? I remember the NFLPA wanted a 21 day ramping up for conditioning. If that’s the case, why not Lee it at 88? 

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

Weren't they allowing 90 players (if they did something I can't remember)?

They can only have 90 until 8/17. If they do, they have to practice in 2 separate groups. And cannot switch groups after placed in one.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

No Doc, it’s 80 as of Friday right when the NFLPA and NFL agreed only 80 due to the numbers.  The Movin the Chain guys were interesting and have been right about almost everything a month before the agreement.  Kirwan suggested, and I think smart they shuffle the last 10 in and out and when not in the building to house them in a hotel expecting there will be players getting COVID.  They also said they keep them in virtual meetings so let’s say 10 are in a hotel M-W, and then another 10 who were in practice flip and go to the hotel TR, F.  It’s not a bad idea until they pair down to 53 and select who will be on the practice squad.

I believe they were increasing practice squads to 16, and the PA agreed no restrictions on who ca; go on the practice squads, even veterans.

• Like (+1) 1

I wonder how this will affect Christian Wade.  The Bills have a roster exemption for him, meaning they could have gone into training camp with 91 players (They actually have only 88 on their roster if I counted right).  The new rule mandating a cutdown to 80 if they all practice together was enacted to make it easier to "social distance."  That could in theory supersede the roster exemption.

9 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

I wonder how this will affect Christian Wade.  The Bills have a roster exemption for him, meaning they could have gone into training camp with 91 players (They actually have only 88 on their roster if I counted right).  The new rule mandating a cutdown to 80 if they all practice together was enacted to make it easier to "social distance."  That could in theory supersede the roster exemption.

Probably not a big deal at all.  He would be very unlikely to make this current Bills roster anyway.  He is a project...with no real football experience...behind an up and coming RB talent in Singletary and a hopeful impact RB in Moss.

Honestly,  I'd at least consider going to 90 players on a split squad. More difficult to manage and not ideal under normal circumstances.  But these are far from normal circumstances.  Splitting the squad gives some new players with real potential to make the team a better shot and provides a bit of protection should someone bring Covid into play.

Now I'm not saying I would choose the split squad, but I'd sure as hell consider it.

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

the 7 suggested are pretty solid candidates. I mean, do you really flip day to day operations upside down to get extra looks at ray ray or Bryan Cox jr? 

21 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Honestly,  I'd at least consider going to 90 players on a split squad. More difficult to manage and not ideal under normal circumstances.  But these are far from normal circumstances.  Splitting the squad gives some new players with real potential to make the team a better shot and provides a bit of protection should someone bring Covid into play.

Now I'm not saying I would choose the split squad, but I'd sure as hell consider it.

which the 10 is worth not being able to have Allen work with a potential standout wr or Fromm not be allowed to throw to the actual likely to be rostered guys ever? 

I think the Bills are perfectly placed for this offseason.  Most returning player and coaches in the league.  The 7 to cut are pretty easy.  Probably a returning p.S or UDFA.  I think it also helps get some better quality punter into the building.  I wonder if team will keep an extra punter now that its 80?

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Without the need to play preseason games, it is probably easier to have a smaller squad so I think they will go right to 80. 

I think this makes sense.  They need to get the guys ready for September.  Sucks for the players who hoped to shine in preseason but this is a sucky year.

1 hour ago, nucci said:

it's usually not too difficult to go from 90 to 70 during a normal camp. Cutting 7 shouldn't be hard

Exactly.  This shouldn't take too much thought.  Get it down to 80 by Tuesday and get ready with the whole team together.

since the split squads have to stay split, the extra reps in split squads (the lower 45) would be reps of scrubs vs scrubs anyway.  Not a good gauge of who is NFL ready.  The lower 45 work would be pretty much like the 4th preseason game. 

I'd choose the 80.  Especially on this team which doesnt have many holes to fill.