Seahawks trade for Jamal Adams

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

No organization builds a team around a Safety.  No safety has been yielded 2 1st rounders in trade.  There have been QB's (Cutler cost 2 1st rounders, so did Jeff George and Jim Everett), RBs (Ricky Williams, Eric Dickerson, Herschel Walker) and WR (Keyshawn Johnson).  Other than KJ, the trade was either a dud or outright disaster for the team that gave up the picks.   Mack to Chicago hasn't paid dividends for there Bears.

For this trade to be worth it for the Seahawks, they need a SB appearance in the next 2 years.  Then they have to pay the man.  Carroll will be 70.  The window for Seattle is now, not 4 years from now.

Agreed. These maga trades are boom or bust. Just crazy that someone is willing to trade that for a box safety. I can almost guarentee (but I won't) they will be regretting it a year or two from now.

We'll see how it goes. I just don't feel like Adams has done anything to help in the win/loss column for the Jets. Great player, but there's a reason safeties are one of the least paid positions. They don't have the opportunity to impact the game on every play like a QB, or Edge Rusher, or even a linebacker can.

20 minutes ago, MJS said:

Agreed. These maga trades are boom or bust. Just crazy that someone is willing to trade that for a box safety. I can almost guarentee (but I won't) they will be regretting it a year or two from now.

We'll see how it goes. I just don't feel like Adams has done anything to help in the win/loss column for the Jets. Great player, but there's a reason safeties are one of the least paid positions. They don't have the opportunity to impact the game on every play like a QB, or Edge Rusher, or even a linebacker can.

It works the other way too.

The Bills gave up a lot of draft capitol for Biscuit.

It sure worked out well for the Bills.

2 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

The Seahawks have to feel that they were only one player away from a SB. But I just don't see that player being Jamal Adams.

Me neither.

38 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

It needs to be this season. 

That's a hard ask, given the uncertainty this season.

45 minutes ago, MJS said:

Exactly.

Plus I have heard commentary on the radio that this guy is the "heart and soul" of the team and "a leader", which he has proven ridiculous.  This guy has been playing social media passive/aggressive games since last season.

Jets get a rare break here.

Edited by Mr. WEO

29 minutes ago, njbuff said:

It works the other way too.

The Bills gave up a lot of draft capitol for Biscuit.

It sure worked out well for the Bills.

Thus I said boom or bust. But I don't believe a safety has the same opportunity for impact as a linebacker. 

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, MJS said:

but being a guy that can be a hybrid that’s capable in coverage and in the box instantly makes him more valuable than a linebacker 

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Swami Mike Francesca.

New York Post: Mike Francesa whiffs on Jamal Adams take during final WFAN show.
https://nypost.com/2020/07/26/mike-francesa-whiffs-on-jamal-adams-take-during-final-wfan-show/

it was a whiff for sure, but I agree with his take both before and after the trade

58 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Well, the man has done shows five days a week for almost 30 years on WFAN. He is bound to say stupid stuff.

With that said, he is a blowhard.

Well put. I liked him, he brought enough knowledge of the game and history along with a considered opinion to overlook his arrogance more often than not. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

but being a guy that can be a hybrid that’s capable in coverage and in the box instantly makes him more valuable than a linebacker 

Or half as valuable as a linebacker because he spends half his time in a position of lesser impact.

11 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

and yet, for some reason, the professionals will likely agree with me. 

The professionals are the ones who set the pay and safeties are one of the lowest paid positions.

51 minutes ago, MJS said:

The professionals are the ones who set the pay and safeties are one of the lowest paid positions.

yes, and he’s not just a safety.

As indicated by the draft slot,  trade compensation and soon to be contract. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Jets aren't going 8-8. They'll win 5 to 6 games.

Especially since they just traded their best player. Their secondary looks pretty weak.

On 7/25/2020 at 4:03 PM, Bleedingreennc said:

A 1st round pick for each of his career INT's!! Hate that he is gone, glad that we got a safety in return who had 5 picks last season.

Congrats to Gang Green.  It was a bad situation and seemed like another self inflicted wound by the Jets,  but it turned out the best it possibly could for them.  A decent safety replacement and two first round picks is a great haul for Adams and much more than I though they could get .  Douglas learned from Ozzie Newsome and looks like a legit GM.  I think this move also works against Gase's security.  The Jets roster takes a hit this season but could be stronger down the line.  Gase needs to win this year to keep his job.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, njbuff said:

I wonder if the Jets turn around and use one of those first rounders to go after Ngakoue?

I mean that would kind of defeat the purpose of trading Adams. They didn't want to pay him. Adams is the better player. Covers, run defense, and pass rush. Rare player. 

I don't think you get better trading rare players like Kahlil Mack, Adams, and Jason Peters just to name a few rare elite players that have been traded in their prime.

I think the only way the Jets get better here is by drafting well and using the money saved on Adams to help their QB next free agency.

Not sad to see Adams leave the division (I held my breath for Josh Allen's life every time he or Henry Anderson got close). However, I think the Jets likely won this trade with the return they received. A decent safety to replace Adams and a massive draft haul for a player who wanted out. If this year's draft was any indication, I think Joe Douglas may actually know how to use those picks as well. 

On a different note, are we able to revisit and fully appreciate the much lower cost we paid in the Stephon Diggs trade? It was unfairly judged at the time given the earlier (and insane) Nuk Hopkins trade, but given what the Seahawks gave up to get Jamal Adams (also see Ramsey and Tunsil trades), I think we did well.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Congrats to Gang Green.  It was a bad situation and seemed like another self inflicted wound by the Jets,  but it turned out the best it possibly could for them.  A decent safety replacement and two first round picks is a great haul for Adams and much more than I though they could get .  Douglas learned from Ozzie Newsome and looks like a legit GM.  I think this move also works against Gase's security.  The Jets roster takes a hit this season but could be stronger down the line.  Gase needs to win this year to keep his job.

Inigo, I’m with you in that Gase in my opinion is dead man walking.  The Jets win 6 games and he gets fired.  Douglas then picks his own coach, and they probably convert some of 5ese picks into decent players.  Maybe not Jamal Adams kind of talent, but talented none the less.

• Like (+1) 1