Seahawks trade for Jamal Adams

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

If he dogged it this year I meant.  Not that he would--which is why the jets easily could have called all of this social media whining as bluffing.

The Seahawks have no first round picks for 2 years and they will have to make Adams the top paid S.  How much better does this make them? 

Why would he be?  Once someone surpasses him in that regard, why would he be OK with that?

A legit super bowl contender? No matter how you try to spin it this is a good deal for both teams. The Seahawks were 11-5 and just got one of the top 5 defensive players in football. Based on where they picked this year they did it for the equivalent of the 8th pick in the draft. That’s the price for superstars and Adams is that.

Tre isn’t going to whine when he becomes the highest paid CB ever. He’s not going to whine when the next guy gets a little more. That’s the way the business goes. Everyone knows that!! You want to get your big payday but don’t begrudge the next guy. You never hear that. If you do please provide some examples and I’ll show dozens of highly compensated guys congratulating the next one.

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He and Lattimore come up same year.  It’ll be interesting to see who signs first 

Tre is a much better player and will get more in any scenario. I’m more worried about Humphrey. 

4 minutes ago, Nelius said:

He's a smart, business savvy dude. Bills are going to have to pay him top 2/3 money, and it's well deserved. He's gone if the org thinks anything less.

Top 1 money. He’s not re-signing until he resets the market. He was a 1st team all-pro and the other 1st team all-pro has been under contract for a while. The expectation isn’t “a good contract” it’s “the highest paid CB ever.” The Bills know this and will get it done.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

A legit super bowl contender? No matter how you try to spin it this is a good deal for both teams. The Seahawks were 11-5 and just got one of the top 5 defensive players in football. Based on where they picked this year they did it for the equivalent of the 8th pick in the draft. That’s the price for superstars and Adams is that.

Tre isn’t going to whine when he becomes the highest paid CB ever. He’s not going to whine when the next guy gets a little more. That’s the way the business goes. Everyone knows that!! You want to get your big payday but don’t begrudge the next guy. You never hear that. If you do please provide some examples and I’ll show dozens of highly compensated guys congratulating the next one.

The value of the picks is all dependent on what is done with them (one of the big reasons I was all for trading for Diggs).  I'm not slamming the Jets for what they got for Adams; I just don't think they'll use them well if recent history with top-6 (which they won't be anywhere close to) picks is any indication.  And between the two teams, I'd given the BOTD to the Seahawks well before the Jets.  As would most people.

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Doc said:

Because something like this was a complete surprise when they hired Gase, eh?  And where are the players slamming Adams and defending Gase?

When knows?  And beside the point.  If Tase is THE root of the problem, why haven't more players spoken out?  

No players are going to slam a player trying to "get his", so why even ask?  I'm sure there are other player who feel similarly to Adams re: Tase--yet none have felt it was so bad that they were compelled to shine about it in public.

You'll notice that Adams FIRST complained back in June that the Jets had not responded to "my first offer" (no mention of Bad Man Tase).  A week later, in June, he reposted a picture of him in a Cowboys jersey (still no mention of Gase).  In between he's raging about a contract on Instagram and Youtube.  Earlier this week, he called out Woody Johnson, and easy target (yet still no mention of Gase).

So after a monthlong campaign of petulance with no result, he finally reveals to YOU the Jets darkest secret:  Gase is not the coach to lead this team...becuase he would not speak to Adams et al when they were playing bad!.. Boom, traded. lol.

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

The value of the picks is all dependent on what is done with them.  

This is a fallacy and it is probably the greatest contributor to fans undervaluing draft picks. There isn't a separate chart for teams that you perceive to draft poorly. A $100 bill is worth $100 regardless if you invest it in your retirement fund or flush it down the toilet.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Tre is a much better player and will get more in any scenario. I’m more worried about Humphrey. 

Top 1 money. He’s not re-signing until he resets the market. He was a 1st team all-pro and the other 1st team all-pro has been under contract for a while. The expectation isn’t “a good contract” it’s “the highest paid CB ever.” The Bills know this and will get it done.

Maybe he's a top 5.  Seattle didn't become a legit SB contender by adding him though.  They were that.

2 minutes ago, QCity said:

You think they traded two 1st round picks for a 2-year rental?

Possibly. They have either identified him as a cornerstone player for their franchise in which case they’ll give him the money he wants. Or they will let him build his value even more in possibly the best division in football and he’ll get a monster payday when his contract runs out. Carrol isn’t a young man, he don’t have many years left over there. I can see Adams playing out his current deal and hitting free agency absolutely. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Homers won't like this, but I think money trouble is on the way with Tre. This isn't the first time he's kind of hinted in that direction -- in this case, he's okay with what Adams did and supports Adams putting himself first and "getting his." He's also already thinking about state taxes.

He’s thinking about state taxes because he’s in NYS but he will still make more than Adams and he knows it 

5 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Really think Beane will value him that highly in this system?

Yes

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Really think Beane will value him that highly in this system?

He was one of 2 1st team all-pro CBs. Right now the LEAGUE values him like that. Surely, his own team feels the same way. We aren’t used to having superstars but we have one. We just learned a valuable lesson on how to treat your superstars. I’d be absolutely shocked if Tre signs a contract less than highest paid CB ever. Totally shocked

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I don’t like this trade for Seahawks.  I love the addition of Adams to the roster, but they over paid. They need those draft picks, especially after they pay Adams and cap gets tighter.  Hate the Jets, but they did very well in this trade.  Good thing they are a joke and gonna waste those picks 

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Maybe he's a top 5.  Seattle didn't become a legit SB contender by adding him though.  They were that.

So you don’t think this elevates them? That’s where we disagree. I think they went from a team that could win to one of the favorites. I think that they are as good as anyone in the NFC now. 

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He was one of 2 1st team all-pro CBs. Right now the LEAGUE values him like that. Surely, his own team feels the same way. We aren’t used to having superstars but we have one. We just learned a valuable lesson on how to treat your superstars. I’d be absolutely shocked if Tre signs a contract less than highest paid CB ever. Totally shocked

Is that really the best move to build a consistent Super Bowl caliber team? I'm just not sure paying a CB like a QB is something Beane and McDermott would do. From everything I know of Beane I'd be really surprised.

20 minutes ago, Doc said:

The value of the picks is all dependent on what is done with them (one of the big reasons I was all for trading for Diggs).  I'm not slamming the Jets for what they got for Adams; I just don't think they'll use them well if recent history with top-6 (which they won't be anywhere close to) picks is any indication.  And between the two teams, I'd given the BOTD to the Seahawks well before the Jets.  As would most people.

Incorrect.  Picks have innate value before you use them.  It doesn't make sense to argue otherwise after the fact, obviously.

The other "top 6" were Adams(.....), Darnold (their future franchise QB as much as Josh Allen is at & for the Bills) and Williams, who as a rookie, filled in just fine for Leonard Williams, likely will get even better.  That's not bad.

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

So you don’t think this elevates them? That’s where we disagree. I think they went from a team that could win to one of the favorites. I think that they are as good as anyone in the NFC now. 

I don't know what the increment is that they are elevated for that price.  I don't see any team having been a Safety away from being SB favorite. 

Edited by Mr. WEO

1 minute ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Is that really the best move to build a consistent Super Bowl caliber team? I'm just not sure paying a CB like a QB is something Beane and McDermott would do. From everything I know of Beane I'd be really surprised.

No one said you’re paying your CB like your QB. You are paying him as a better version of Darius Slay, Byron Jones and Xavier Howard. Those are the 3 highest paid CBs and 2 of them signed this year. If you’re Tre’s agent do you think it’s reasonable to take less than Byron Jones? Put them side-by-side and it’s not all that close. That’s the way that it works in the NFL. You get paid based on comparable players at your position and the timing of your deal. Tre will certainly not take less than $17m a year.

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Incorrect.  Picks have innate value before you use them.  It doesn't make sense to argue otherwise after the fact, obviously.

The other "top 6" were Adams(.....), Darnold (their future franchise QB as much as Josh Allen is at & for the Bills) and Williams, who as a rookie, filled in just fine for Leonard Williams, likely will get even better.  That's not bad.

I don't know what the increment is that they are elevated for that price.  I don't see any team having been a Safety away from being SB favorite. 

The Honey Badger certainly elevates KC from “really good team” to Super Bowl champ. Their entire defense was better once they added him. 

• Like (+1) 1