Chiefs G Duvernay-Tardif first NFL player to opt-out.

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

John Brown has sickle cell disease 

contract toll basically means that they remain on the roster this year will be placed on some kind of reserve list - also they will continue to have benefits such as accruing seasons toward pension and will have same medical insurance coverage.

Thank you. 

Will stand behind him and respect whatever decision he makes.

Also, wonder if he will play in Denver this year?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/8335923/pittsburgh-steelers-ryan-clark-play-denver

Interesting note: Duvernay-Tardif is not only a Super Bowl Champion and a doctor, he has also been knighted. (He is from Quebec and the province actually knights people).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Order_of_Quebec#:~:text=Though the National Order of,explicit part of the organization.&text=Knight (chevalier) (CQ),-Nominations to the

Pretty impressive resume for such a young man. That's a role model for you.

• Like (+1) 3

But this is interesting - 

Just now, plenzmd1 said:

Thank you. 

Will stand behind him and respect whatever decision he makes.

Also, wonder if he will play in Denver this year?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/8335923/pittsburgh-steelers-ryan-clark-play-denver

I believe I heard on radio a while back that he did play in Denver once when he was with the cardinals. But I have wondered that myself. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsDude said:

Good for him!  A bunch of hypocrites here though. If Josh Allen opts out to work on his farm, will you be ok? I will be ok with that. Will you?

Sure, but were that to happen, I’d hope the Bills would immediately begin the process of finding a new franchise QB.  

Players can opt out, do whatever they want... as can anyone, but jut like everyone, they risk losing their job/place in the organization.  

QB is the leader/face of the Franchise.  Unless there are extenuating circumstances (wife/gf/child/they, themselves have an autoimmune issue as an example), the QB...the leader of your football team, along with the coaches, should be leading the team through this.

A better hypothetical would be if Stefon Diggs or Tre White opted out.   I’d probably be frustrated if one of them opted out, but the bad taste left in my mouth has no bearing on them doing what they feel is best.   

I certainly don’t judge the KC OL who’s also in the medical field - in fact I applaud him, but would admit, I’d personally side-eye someone just deciding to sit out, provided there’s no extenuating circumstances involved.  I’m not going to rant and rave about it, but I’d personally lose some respect for them. 

Edited by SCBills

2 hours ago, BillsDude said:

Good for him!  A bunch of hypocrites here though. If Josh Allen opts out to work on his farm, will you be ok? I will be ok with that. Will you?

Personally, I’d find another ridiculous parallel hypothetical that won’t happen to get mad about.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Limeaid said:

So I gave you a thumbs up, but this is sort of a double negative (had to read it 3 times) so wasn't absolutely certain if I'm in total agreement or dis-agreement with you.  Think I'm in agreement, so gave it to you.  LOL!

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I"m kind of wondering if Schefter doesn't kind of have it mixed on the "work as an orderly" or if that means something different in Canada

Duvernay-Tardif is a medical school graduate. Doctor of Medicine and Master of Surgery.  He hasn't done (what we'd call) an internship or residency yet.

But he's got the training to do far more than work as an orderly.

10 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Hapless, if you think about it, he doesn’t have a nursing license so he can’t work as a nurse, nor a scrub tech in the OR, and if he hasn’t done an internship or residency, then it actually does make sense he could only contribute as an orderly.  Everything is licensed as I’m sure you know.  Regardless, very, very honorable of him to help out, and if this is how he can help his neighborhood, god bless him.  I could care less if it were Canada or the US.  Does it really matter?  Last time I checked, not for you Hapless, but the other person, Canada is still part of North America.

Growing up in Buffalo and a lot of blurry nights north of the border at 19, Canada was a suburb of Buffalo.

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

He hasn’t done any post-grad training and cannot practice medicine. So he is working as an orderly. An MD without any residency training in the US or Canada basically gives you zero qualifications in actual health care.

It is commendable that he is choosing to help instead of play a game.  His reasoning that playing NFL football would make it more likely that he would bring COVID home to his family or community, compared to a working in an ED or nursing home, is a bit odd though.

I'm pretty sure McGill is the only school that awards it graduates a "Doctor of Medicine, Master of Surgery Degree", lol (that last part!).

In the US, with no training, he would not be allowed to practice any type of medicine anywhere (CNN calls him "the NFL's first practicing medical doctor" none the less).  However, at NYS peak COVID, Cuomo suspended some licensing requirements to fill EDs with MDs---including allowing Med Students to graduate early and work in EDs essentially as Interns.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

It is commendable that he is choosing to help instead of play a game.  His reasoning that playing NFL football would make it more likely that he would bring COVID home to his family or community, compared to a working in an ED or nursing home, is a bit odd though.

I'm pretty sure McGill is the only school that awards it graduates a "Doctor of Medicine, Master of Surgery Degree", lol (that last part!).

In the US, with no training, he would not be allowed to practice any type of medicine anywhere (CNN calls him "the NFL's first practicing medical doctor" none the less).  However, at NYS peak COVID, Cuomo suspended some licensing requirements to fill EDs with MDs---including allowing Med Students to graduate early and work in EDs essentially as Interns.

I checked up on the “asking surgeons to be orderlies” thing and it appears that truly is the case, as elective surgeries are still closed in many areas. But it appears as though they are asking for volunteers.

Can you imagine a General Surgeon working 6 days a week cleaning bedpans, pushing wheelchairs and taking orders from nurses. HCW death rates would skyrocket from malignant hypertension.

25 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I checked up on the “asking surgeons to be orderlies” thing and it appears that truly is the case, as elective surgeries are still closed in many areas. But it appears as though they are asking for volunteers.

Can you imagine a General Surgeon working 6 days a week cleaning bedpans, pushing wheelchairs and taking orders from nurses. HCW death rates would skyrocket from malignant hypertension.

lol no.  It makes no sense.  There is no scenario in this country in any hospital where a surgery would need to fill in as an aide or orderly.  I mean, any doc who is filling in as a shift ED doc may have to put in IVs, draw bloods, insert catheters and even transport patients to xray--that wouldn't be uncommon.  But there is nowhere a surgeon becoming strictly an orderly.  A recent med school grad who may be heading to a surgery residency and volunteered to graduate early and help out in an ED--sure: that's an orderly.

Here were put to use as ICU attendings to take shifts managing vents for the full time Intensive Care attendings.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Lurker said:

The likelihood of playing 3-4 years in the NFL vs. practicing medicine for 40-50 more years?     

Yep.   He made the right call, just like John Urschal did a few years ago...

Well maybe 35 or so.  He's almost 30.

Had he finished his contract (3 more years) he would have had career earnings of 43 million.  As it is he has made 22 million so far---which would take him 78 years to earn as a Canadian ER doc (after residency training).

12 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Good on him, he has his head on straight, and is a serious role model. 

The world needs more people like him and it would be a better place ! Props to him .

Edited by T master
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

That's not what he said.  He said, basically, that if he's going to put himself and his family at risk, he'll do it to "care for patients", not "simply to play the sport I love"

https://twitter.com/LaurentDTardif/status/1286839610727976965?s=20

I can't argue with that sense of priorities.

He could pursue an internship and gain qualifications to practice?  But as someone explained up thread, it's apparently an emergency program in Quebec where anyone and everyone with medical qualifications has been asked to fill in with patient care in Quebec nursing homes because they are so short of staff.

lol no.  It makes no sense.  There is no scenario in this country in any hospital where a surgery would need to fill in as an aide or orderly.  I mean, any doc who is filling in as a shift ED doc may have to put in IVs, draw bloods, insert catheters and even transport patients to xray--that wouldn't be uncommon.  But there is nowhere a surgeon becoming strictly an orderly.  A recent med school grad who may be heading to a surgery residency and volunteered to graduate early and help out in an ED--sure: that's an orderly.

Here were put to use as ICU attendings to take shifts managing vents for the full time Intensive Care attendings.  

Lol I bet you had to do a crash course on lung protective strategies.

The article I referenced referred to just asking for volunteers who were doing nothing, not surgeons in a hospital being reassigned as orderlies. Mostly it appeared to be anyone with any HC experience or training, and a few examples of docs who had let their licenses expire etc. 

But you are absolutely right, no hospital is pulling house staff to clean rooms. That’s absurd.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's not what he said.  He said, basically, that if he's going to put himself and his family at risk, he'll do it to "care for patients", not "simply to play the sport I love"

https://twitter.com/LaurentDTardif/status/1286839610727976965?s=20

I can't argue with that sense of priorities.

He could pursue an internship and gain qualifications to practice?  But as someone explained up thread, it's apparently an emergency program in Quebec where anyone and everyone with medical qualifications has been asked to fill in with patient care in Quebec nursing homes because they are so short of staff.

He likely has not pursued any form of internship because he is currently under contract in the NFL. Being an intern is not like being a medical student. He will be contractually obligated to work ~80 hrs a week, 6 days a week.

So while it was a nice story that he graduated medical school, he likely will not contribute meaningfully as a physician until after his NFL career is over. If he even decides to go through the grind of residency while sitting on his career earnings. 

Edited by FireChans