Alex Smith cleared for football per PFT.

I understand the Bengals thing, but he is still under contract.  He can make a ton of $ if Washington Doesn’t cut him.  Alex Smith was a heck of a QB.  People always tried to say he was a game manager, but that is a sign of a good QB.  He doesn’t throw picks, knows when to throw it away, had a decent completion %, etc.

13 hours ago, maddenboy said:

Most likely they will fail his physical, then settle via grievance.

I cant imagine Fans of any team want to ever see him play again.  Apparently Ron Rivera talked him up recently, but that's just PR management.

And frankly, he probably in his heart doesnt want to play.  He'll just do the injury settlement dance and ride off a rich(er) man.

Also, by him not retiring he has access to world class doctors and medical treatment that he’d otherwise not of had had he retired. If they do clear him and he plays, he will get injured and the Redskins will get mega sued.

12 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Also, by him not retiring he has access to world class doctors and medical treatment that he’d otherwise not of had had he retired. If they do clear him and he plays, he will get injured and the Redskins will get mega sued.

Who?

14 hours ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

Wouldn’t be the craziest name... “Mr. Smith goes to Washington” is a movie...

Washington Smiths

Still wouldn’t be the worst named team in the Capital City.

Yeah, but it's racist. He's white. Sorry.   

I'm still in the camp for Washington Mess, Washington Panderers or Washington Sackless

1 hour ago, Victory Formation said:

What??

He has access to any "world class doctors" that wants, regardless if he is in the NFL or not.  And if he is cleared, he can't sue if he willfully re-enters into play based on clearances by everyone.  The Ortho/Trauma surgeons and Plastic surgeons who operated on him multiple times weren't team doctors--yoiu would have had the same treatment for the same injury if you had rolled into that same hospital that night.And if he is cleared, he can't sue if he willfully re-enters into play based on clearances by everyone.  

And if he is cleared, he can't sue if he willfully re-enters into play based on clearances by everyone.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, whatdrought said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/

File me under the shocked category, last I heard there was like a 2% chance he’d see the field again... this article makes it sound plausible. 

“Everyone was in agreement that my bone was in a really good place,” Smith told ESPN while filming his E:60 documentary. “I had healed a lot. They said that given the combination of the rod and where I was with the healing process, I had zero limitations and could even resume some football activities.

“To hear them say that, from a life standpoint, they wouldn’t restrict me from doing anything — I could go skiing or snowboarding tomorrow if I wanted — then on top of that, to get the green light that I could practice, get contact, that I had healed up, that much was pretty wild to hear. I didn’t know if I would ever hear those words.”

Smith will undergo a team physical and COVID-19 testing Monday at the team facility."

Could even resume SOME football activities

34 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

“Everyone was in agreement that my bone was in a really good place,” Smith told ESPN while filming his E:60 documentary. “I had healed a lot. They said that given the combination of the rod and where I was with the healing process, I had zero limitations and could even resume some football activities.

“To hear them say that, from a life standpoint, they wouldn’t restrict me from doing anything — I could go skiing or snowboarding tomorrow if I wanted — then on top of that, to get the green light that I could practice, get contact, that I had healed up, that much was pretty wild to hear. I didn’t know if I would ever hear those words.”

Smith will undergo a team physical and COVID-19 testing Monday at the team facility."

Could even resume SOME football activities

That’s how he’s saying it while the article is saying full football activity... interested to see what this really looks like. 

2 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

Maybe.  But that's why I said upthread that the team will Fail him on the physical.  And that's part of why I think no other team will sign him (except, maybe as a 3rd string lockerroom guy and/or an emergency Covid-Stash triple-emergency QB). 

Getting sued doesnt mean the team will lose.  But its still costly, time consuming, and a distraction to be sued.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

What??

He has access to any "world class doctors" that wants, regardless if he is in the NFL or not.  And if he is cleared, he can't sue if he willfully re-enters into play based on clearances by everyone.  The Ortho/Trauma surgeons and Plastic surgeons who operated on him multiple times weren't team doctors--yoiu would have had the same treatment for the same injury if you had rolled into that same hospital that night.And if he is cleared, he can't sue if he willfully re-enters into play based on clearances by everyone.  

And if he is cleared, he can't sue if he willfully re-enters into play based on clearances by everyone.  

Funny story, I actually DO know someone who rolled into that hospital the same night, and had the same injury and subsequent infection issues, with the same doctor.  He actually just got the orbital cast off a few months ago and had his last surgery last month.  

Said Alex Smith loved seeing him in the office because it was a reminder that he wasn't the only one dealing with it.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Doesn't matter. Each team has their own opinion. It's why players can fail physicals that cancel trades or nix FA signings.

That’s different, those are clauses to execute the contract, he’s in a contract, so his rights are protected by the union.  They will fight it if he’s cleared by independent doctors, if it’s for nothing more than the money.

2 hours ago, BringBackFlutie said:

Funny story, I actually DO know someone who rolled into that hospital the same night, and had the same injury and subsequent infection issues, with the same doctor.  He actually just got the orbital cast off a few months ago and had his last surgery last month.  

Said Alex Smith loved seeing him in the office because it was a reminder that he wasn't the only one dealing with it.

See?  If he had no insurance, he would have gotten the same team.

2 hours ago, maddenboy said:

Maybe.  But that's why I said upthread that the team will Fail him on the physical.  And that's part of why I think no other team will sign him (except, maybe as a 3rd string lockerroom guy and/or an emergency Covid-Stash triple-emergency QB). 

Getting sued doesnt mean the team will lose.  But its still costly, time consuming, and a distraction to be sued.

With the contract he recently signed, he's untraceable and they can't cut him without a huge cap hit.  They are stuck with him for a LOT of money. Their best bet is to pay him his cap hit this season (21 million), cut (or trade--still difficult) him next year and still take a 10.8 million dead cap hit in 2021.  That's, in cash and cap, 27 million for 2020/21.

He will be a very expensive hood ornament.

2 hours ago, DCofNC said:

That’s different, those are clauses to execute the contract, he’s in a contract, so his rights are protected by the union.  They will fight it if he’s cleared by independent doctors, if it’s for nothing more than the money.

A team isn't bound in a contract to clear any player if their medical team won't clear them.  The player would be offered an injury settlement.

But that point is moot because one of the clearing  Dr.s mentioned is the team doctor (although I don't think she ever operated on him).

I get why he wants to play because he feels he still has game left. But that hit that he took that snapped his tib/fib was not especially violent (in terms of force)--he will take hits like that on every blitz in every game.  While everyone is amazed at how well it has healed, no X-ray can determine what will happen the first time he plants the right foot and gets sacked/hit/gang tackled.  If it breaks again, I cannot imagine how they would fix it again, given what it took the first time (internafix/externalfix, microsurgical free flap coverage of the exposed bone after extensive tissue necrosis/debridement).  The likelihood of losing the leg is higher than previously.  

What's to be gained?  He's on a team that is going nowhere.  He has over 100 million earned so far.  He's at the end of his career anyway, having been around for 15 years now on his 3rd team and hasn't played a down in 2 years.

Go enjoy life and count your blessings you're still on 2 feet, man.  Be with your family---why make them sweat this out again?

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

I get why he wants to play because he feels he still has game left. But that hit that he took that snapped his tib/fib was not especially violent (in terms of force)--he will take hits like that on every blitz in every game.  While everyone is amazed at how well it has healed, no X-ray can determine what will happen the first time he plants the right foot and gets sacked/hit/gang tackled.  If it breaks again, I cannot imagine how they would fix it again, given what it took the first time (internafix/externalfix, microsurgical free flap coverage of the exposed bone after extensive tissue necrosis/debridement).  The likelihood of losing the leg is higher than previously.  

What's to be gained?  He's on a team that is going nowhere.  He has over 100 million earned so far.  He's at the end of his career anyway, having been around for 15 years now on his 3rd team and hasn't played a down in 2 years.

Go enjoy life and count your blessings you're still on 2 feet, man.  Be with your family---why make them sweat this out again?

Call Ripley's, I agree with you.

Edited by Uncle Joe
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

With the contract he recently signed, he's untraceable and they can't cut him without a huge cap hit.  They are stuck with him for a LOT of money. Their best bet is to pay him his cap hit this season (21 million), cut (or trade--still difficult) him next year and still take a 10.8 million dead cap hit in 2021.  That's, in cash and cap, 27 million for 2020/21.

He will be a very expensive hood ornament.

A team isn't bound in a contract to clear any player if their medical team won't clear them.  The player would be offered an injury settlement.

But that point is moot because one of the clearing  Dr.s mentioned is the team doctor (although I don't think she ever operated on him).

Around $70 million. The fact that it happened once was a freak accident. If something that unlucky was to happen to him again, it's Final Destination for him anyway.

10 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Around $70 million. The fact that it happened once was a freak accident. If something that unlucky was to happen to him again, it's Final Destination for him anyway.

He would get his guarantee plus an in jury settlement.

It wasn't a freak accident.  Go back and watch the play.  It was a regular sack that snapped his leg in half.

He has financial incentive to return, but I think those that site that as the only reason have not seen the special on Smith. One photo, nearly all his muscle removed, his leg looked like something from a butcher shop. He almost died, most certainly should have lost his leg. If he proves medically eligible it's incredible accomplishment, regardless of motive, few people could ever pass such a test. I certainly gained a lot of respect for Smith.  

Edited by KzooMike
  • Awesome! (+1) 1