Alex Smith cleared for football per PFT.

Most likely they will fail his physical, then settle via grievance.

I cant imagine Fans of any team want to ever see him play again.  Apparently Ron Rivera talked him up recently, but that's just PR management.

And frankly, he probably in his heart doesnt want to play.  He'll just do the injury settlement dance and ride off a rich(er) man.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, maddenboy said:

I cant imagine Fans of any team want to ever see him play again.  Apparently Ron Rivera talked him up recently, but that's just PR management.

And frankly, he probably in his heart doesnt want to play.  He'll just do the injury settlement dance and ride off a rich(er) man.

I'd take him as a backup QB for sure. He has had years to heal and if he's cleared he must be ready. And a backup does not play under ideal circumstances, giving him even more time to get back into football shape.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’d be happy if he’s cleared to walk down the stairs. That was gruesome, and he’s battled like a warrior. They should name the team after him! 

:)

Wouldn’t be the craziest name... “Mr. Smith goes to Washington” is a movie...

Washington Smiths

Still wouldn’t be the worst named team in the Capital City.

• Haha (+1) 3

29 minutes ago, maddenboy said:

I’m fine with him playing if he’s cleared and wants to.

you sure do take a lot of leaps in one post.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

Yeah. Football has been his life for a long time. It's hard for a lot of players to hang up the cleats. I would not be surprised if his drive to get back to playing has been a key motivator through all of this.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

My thoughts as well, though I can understand if he doesn’t want to risk it. 

Guys come back from injury all the time and take the risk of re-injuring. I don’t imagine the doctors would allow him to play if he was at a higher risk for injury than anyone else. 

All that being equal, this would be great for the redskins. Insurance against Haskin not playing well, and maybe a trade piece later in the year.

37 minutes ago, maddenboy said:

He's on the second year of a 4yr/$94 Million dollar deal. His heart will find a way.

34 minutes ago, MJS said:

Yeah. Football has been his life for a long time. It's hard for a lot of players to hang up the cleats. I would not be surprised if his drive to get back to playing has been a key motivator through all of this.

yup. If he still loves it and it’s relatively safe for him- have at it. I’d definitely want a loved one to get about a half dozen independent docs to support that clearance but...

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

He's on the second year of a 4yr/$94 Million dollar deal. His heart will find a way.

I was wondering where he was at in his contract.  Thanks Bull.  Bones even as horrific as that was in the injury when they do heal, usually are stronger after a break.  Sepsis is a killer, but he beat it.  It sounds nuts as that injury was absolutely horrible, but coming back after sepsis and a tremendous bone break is not that crazy.  Sounds minimal, but a neck, spine, knee injury is more of a career ended than this one.  I thought for sure he would never completely heal, but surgeons aren’t going to put heir name behind clearing a guy unless he really is healed.

If he has that courage to come back, good for him.I don’t believe I would do it, but he is an immediate upgrade from Haskins.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 1ManRaid said:

And no players' union won't file a lawsuit in objection to that if qualified medical professionals already cleared him.

Doesn't matter. Each team has their own opinion. It's why players can fail physicals that cancel trades or nix FA signings.