Jamal Adams: Adam Gase isn’t the right leader for the Jets organization

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Gosh, how many vocal millionaires DO you work with!??

How many posters here, if their employer had  given  them 22.2 million over the next 5 years, would then go on social media and repeatedly bad mouth the owner of the company and the top manager of the company?

The answer of course, is "none".  No poster here has the luxury of multiple companies who would line up for his or her services for that kind of money (or even more) if he made it so difficult for his/her current employer that they got rid of him/her.

Making millions is not our reality. So nothing you said is relevant.

Do guys who make millions bad mouth their employers? Apparently so. Do guys who don't make millions bad mouth their employers? Yes. Seems like par for the course no matter how much money you make.

34 minutes ago, MJS said:

Making millions is not our reality. So nothing you said is relevant.

Do guys who make millions bad mouth their employers? Apparently so. Do guys who don't make millions bad mouth their employers? Yes. Seems like par for the course no matter how much money you make.

You claimed significant knowledge of the social media complaint habits of millionaire workers, so I thought it was a relevant question.

7 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

They pretty much have to trade him now, right?

except he just tanked his value. He wants 22 million a year (with 2 years left on his current contract), has 1 int, is an emotional seesaw and just publicly trashed his coach. His market was already only luke warm at best. So either they trade him for relative peanuts or keep him and force him to play while he tries to burn the locker room down.

Gase is awful, but Jamal is even worse. 

• Like (+1) 3

26 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

except he just tanked his value. He wants 22 million a year (with 2 years left on his current contract), has 1 int, is an emotional seesaw and just publicly trashed his coach. His market was already only luke warm at best. So either they trade him for relative peanuts or keep him and force him to play while he tries to burn the locker room down.

Gase is awful, but Jamal is even worse. 

I wish they'd trade him on Madden. He causes like 3 to 4 fumbles a game on me. They made him ridiculously good.

1 hour ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

The Jets were thinking the same thing with us when we had Russ Brandon, Doug Whaley and Rex Ryan. That was back when we had the trifecta of *****.

Mr. Lahey would have had fun with all the 'shirtisms' in this thread.  Good work, troops!  ?

5 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Logic, couldn’t agree more with every point my fine young friend.  What concerns me not this year as the Pats will eventually go down in flames as Belicheat will retire, and Cam will no be good as he is not who he used to be in Carolina.  The Fish as much as I hate them is concerning as competition.  Not this year as it will take time for all of those picks and free agents to gel, But Tua if healthy is scary good.

We might be heading back to a day where the Jets and Pats are a joke, and it is an Allen/Tua battle vs. Kelly/Marino.  I thoroughly believe we have the better team, and I have complete confidence in McBeane, but Miami’s coach May be good.  Hell, they beat the Pats fairly at the end of the season when the Pats had to win to get a bye.  That coach might be sharp.  It would be nice getting back to hating the Fish with all of my heart with my “Squish the Fish” poster on my garage wall like it was for 20 years.  I don’t know if you guys remember that old poster, but it was dear to my heart.  I hate those bastages (Johnny Dangerously reference for the youngins), and no that was not a fargin treek question.  If you’re in your 20’s find it and watch.  Movie used to crack me up.

Agreed.

The Phins are the team I view as the biggest threat in the AFC East in coming years.

Flores is a good coach, Tua is a highly promising QB, and they’re building the team the right way from the start — unlike the Jets.

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Guy is overrated... I’d trade him for a first in a heartbeat.

Guy is a safety. I’m confused why he thinks he’s so great.

So is everyone else which is why the possibility of a 1st ship sailed...

15 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

The Dolphins could use some stable characters like this. Great players are one thing, but  it’s always nice to have a division opponent overpay for a trouble maker. Give a ton of picks, a ton of cash.....them have him rip the coach. YAY! 

Somehow I can't imagine Tom Landry having a beer with his players.  Or Bear Bryant hanging around the locker room, telling jokes.  Or Vince Lombardi hugging anyone.

Edited by Utah John
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Utah John said:

Somehow I can't imagine Tom Landry having a beer with his players.  Or Bear Bryant hanging around the locker room, telling jokes.  Or Vince Lombardi hugging anyone.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the three coaches you mention were all guys who were probably at least 25 years older than their players.  In today’s NFL there are coaches who are much closer, generation-wise, to their players.

Just listened to the McAfee/Hawk segment.  I completely agree with McAfee.  Gase is not the kind of guy to take this well or constructively; I do not see him being willing to meet with Adams 1-to-1 to discuss the issues.  Adams will be out of there because at this point the dumb Jets won’t do what they should, which is fire Gase.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

You claimed significant knowledge of the social media complaint habits of millionaire workers, so I thought it was a relevant question.

It's not exactly hard to find examples.  LeCom James recently pitched a fit because an NBA GM had the nerve to be bothered by citizens of Hong Kong having their rights stripped.  In LeCom's defense though, such opinions could disrupt the work of slaves helping him make bank.

On 7/24/2020 at 8:54 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Can't see him playing there under Gase, anyway. He may have reduced his value enough here that it'd be better for the Jets to keep him even if he's not in the locker room until they get a real offer. 

That appears to have been the intent. Gase says, "I want him back," which leaves a ton of room for rapprochement. Something like this is pretty close to checkmate, though. How can Gase welcome him back now? Adams wanted out and he's likely got his wish, though the timetable will be up to the Jets. They only save $3.5 mill through the trade. MIght as well hang on to him for a year if they can get more value then.

Edited by Thurman#1

21 hours ago, Playoffs? said:

Get your point... but I somewhat disagree. 
Teams need leaders. A poor coach/leader doesn’t usually work with a team of all stars and personalities.... and sure as heck won’t work with a team of mostly average Joe’s. 

You need to be able to be a good leader in order to install a culture of winning (which the Bills didn’t have before McD), and to be able to coach players UP to their potential.  

To me, the bigger issue is the respect factor. The players clearly don’t respect Gase... and they likely won’t play hard for him. Bellichick may not be ‘liked,’ but he sure is respected. And his players play for him and the other coaches. There is a culture. Appears Gase never built a positive culture, and it’s showing.

22 hours ago, matter2003 said:

If people were robots then it would all be so much easier...they aren't.  I have "fixed" enough situations in various industries as a manager with the same employees the previous person failed miserably with. Why? Expectations, accountability, re-training, and showing you care about them as people. Celebrating small successes which made them feel good, which led to them wanting to continue receiving positive reinforcement which led to bigger successes and so on and so forth.  Also treating poor results as an end result of all of the steps taken to get to that point and using it as a learning experience so that we can correct the steps taken which will lead to better results the next time.  No yelling, no belittling them, no making them feel like it was all their fault. The leader takes responsibility for the poor result and then lets them know we are all in this together.  When you create a "we are all in this together" environment versus an "us/them" environment, it is amazing how the same poor performing employees can suddenly become almost indispensable.

People need direction, but more importantly they need to believe that if they do what their leader is telling them they will succeed.  There are few things that will lead to poor employee morale, poor results and employees that don't care faster than a complete lack of faith in their leader and in their belief that he can help them be successful. Is there any reason that the previous managers couldn't have done the same thing that I did, basically turning the worst performing stores into the best or near the best performing stores within a year's timeframe with most of the same people? 

No. They couldn't/didn't do it because their employees didn't believe in them and the longer it went on, the more "checked out" they became.  More importantly they were either unwilling to do or unable to recognize the things they needed to fix to allow the results the were getting to change. Maybe it was related to the amount of effort they had to put in, maybe the amount of time, maybe the "difficulty" of it.  The bottom line is if you recognize what the serious issues are and you aren't fully willing to commit to fixing them, then nothing else you do is going to matter. In some cases the previous manager had an employee that would be very good doing one thing but terrible at another. 

Instead of maximizing their strengths and then training their weaknesses, they insisted on keeping them in their "position".  Well I don't care about the position, I care about how you can best help solve the problems we face and if you are a 9 in sales but a 2 in collecting and the other person is a 7 in sales and a 5 in collecting, I am putting the 9 on sales and the 5 on collecting. It is mind blowing to me how many times managers have people in jobs that they simply aren't very good at when they could have them do something else they are very good at and stick to the "well this is the job we hired you for". I mean, who cares?  Are you trying to actually solve the problem or are you contributing to making it worse? Think of Mario Williams dropping into coverage because that was Rex's "scheme".

Do you think the players were happy when they looked at their coaches under Rex not putting in the time needed to be successful and left them feeling unprepared and looking like fools during games? Doubt it...yeah they might have enjoyed how easy the practices were and how much extra free time they had but deep down they were probably pissed because they knew he was setting them up to fail when it mattered. Rex tried to trade of being a "players coach" and letting them do whatever so they would be more likely to overlook when he was lax with things himself...almost like a quid pro quo.  That never works well...it creates resentment and disdain for their "leader" who is unwilling to put the work in themselves to do what is needed. You can't tell me all the complaining that was done and throwing Rex and the coaching staff under the bus repeatedly wasn't related to that to a large degree. Well, you could, but I know better. Seen it too many times first hand. They didn't respect him as a leader.

I have news for you...there is NO difference between my experiences at these businesses in multiple different industries and anything else, including football teams.  I cannot think of one instance that a person will perform better for a poor leader than a good one but can point to lots of examples of the reverse. Saying the "right" people wouldn't do that is just nonsense and shows your lack of experience in these situations.  EVERYONE has a breaking point where they just "check out". Some will take longer to get there and some will get there relatively quickly, but no matter how good an employee is, it will happen when you have continual poor leadership in place that they fail to believe in.

I agree teams need leaders.  Leadership is a component of Sports.  BUT leadership does not equate to on field execution.

however

for some romanticized reason, Positive on field execution that leads to victory is falsely coupled with good leadership.

which just isn’t an exact formula.

you take the best football coach in the world a great leader, and his quarterback on fourth and two trailing by four points does something stupid and throws an interception suddenly that coach is Not a good leader anymore? The team doesn’t have leader ship? They weren’t focused during the week?

That is the type of stuff you hear come Monday from players, media and fans.

we just have to try to find a way to give everything in our world a meaning or reason because if we do then we feel we can control it.  It makes it less scary.  You know?

so to lie to yourself and say that leader ship brotherhood wanting it more the will to win by creating these false hoods that these are the things that will lead you to winning it makes you feel if you install those things you have a better chance of winning.  It gives you a false sense of control but at least you feel a little bit better.

but in the end it’s the quarterback that has the better hand eye coordination and brain functions you can process information faster and decide not to throw that interception and instead check it down to the tight end who is wide open in the middle of the field who walks in for the game-winning touchdown that’s the team that will win.

and it won’t have anything to do with leader ship brotherhood the will to win wanting it more...etc.

2 hours ago, eball said:

Just listened to the McAfee/Hawk segment.  I completely agree with McAfee.  Gase is not the kind of guy to take this well or constructively; I do not see him being willing to meet with Adams 1-to-1 to discuss the issues.  Adams will be out of there because at this point the dumb Jets won’t do what they should, which is fire Gase.

I am no fan of GASE...but the Jets...

Finished the season with a 6-2 record.

and were 0-4 with a sick/out Darnold.

I can’t imagine many other fan bases turning on their own teams head coach who finished 6-2 in his first season.  Especially if it were here in Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1