Jamal Adams: Adam Gase isn’t the right leader for the Jets organization

24 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Great Leadsrship is fine.  A nice sprinkle on top.  But if your QB doesn’t hit the WR on 4th and 2...then leadership goes right out the window.

many a great “leaders” have been quickly dispatched because their players couldn’t make it happen when it needed to happen on the field.

how many times do players say “I love that guy” or “great leader” the day the team releases him?

I mean...Coach McDermott is a good leader.  But in his first year he isn’t a playoff coach if not for a phantom pass interference in the INDY/Blizzard game and or the Dalton TD pass.  Either of those go the other way...his leadership isn’t counting for much in the W/L column 

I think both McDermott and Beane have done an outstanding job. Taking over a team that hadn't made the playoffs in 17 years. Now they have made it 2 of the last 3 seasons. The team is trending up and the national media have noticed. Usually the media outside WNY won't even acknowledge the Bills. This season there is a lot of pressure on the Bills with the fans and media to take the next step. That tells you the Bills are doing things the right way. Bad teams get ignored by the fans/media as their is no expectation for a good season.

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I mean... he also didn’t have much talent on that team 

That’s true.

i just get a little eye rolly when sports gets pushed too far into a romanticized area.  Using words like leadership or brotherhood or will to win...etc.

all that stuff sounds good on Monday or in a quote or a book.

but at the end of the day...the team who loses 45-10 also had a guy who stood up in the locker room and gave a heartfelt speech just like the winning team did.

its 22guys running into each other and it’s decided by 5-6 plays usually that randomly go one way or the other 

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think other teams will look side eyed at his bashing of the head coach but then i also think his agent will say “he’s just trying to get traded, he won’t be like that with you”  etc 

If you can go to prison for running a dog-fighting gambling operation where you hang, drown and shoot dogs who lose before burying them in your backyard, and come out of prison to multi-million dollar deal, you can piss on your coach and GM in public and find a job easily.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

He isn’t revealing anything new about Gase though.  He’s just whining.  How does he think this will advance his cause to be on another team?

I don't think anyone is disputing that. He is still right though. 

9 minutes ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

Week 1 is going to be delicious

J-E-T-S MESS MESS MESS

According to the Daily News the Bills are a 6 point favorite over the Jets. I know division/rivalry games are usually close but I think the Bills beat them by double digits. The Jets have a lot of new faces on the roster, a revamped OL. With no real practice time or preseason games I can't see how they can be ready by week one. The Bills are in year 4 of McDermott with the same OC/DC. The Bills at least know the systems and schemes they use and are comfortable playing that way. Take the Bills and give the points.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

Not sure about that. In the dog scenario you're not attacking the ego's of members of a brotherhood who hold the cards when you're looking for emloyment.

Understood, but the larger point, at least in my opinion, is that teams will look past pretty much anything if you prove to be a special talent. The key is to not repeat your offenses.

I could easily be wrong because I'm pretty good at being wrong about all things NFL, but time will tell with Adams.

1 hour ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

If I need the coach to make sure the players care about their jobs...and putting in the all night studying..we got the wrong players and poor scouting GM department.

If people were robots then it would all be so much easier...they aren't.  I have "fixed" enough situations in various industries as a manager with the same employees the previous person failed miserably with. Why? Expectations, accountability, re-training, and showing you care about them as people. Celebrating small successes which made them feel good, which led to them wanting to continue receiving positive reinforcement which led to bigger successes and so on and so forth.  Also treating poor results as an end result of all of the steps taken to get to that point and using it as a learning experience so that we can correct the steps taken which will lead to better results the next time.  No yelling, no belittling them, no making them feel like it was all their fault. The leader takes responsibility for the poor result and then lets them know we are all in this together.  When you create a "we are all in this together" environment versus an "us/them" environment, it is amazing how the same poor performing employees can suddenly become almost indispensable.

People need direction, but more importantly they need to believe that if they do what their leader is telling them they will succeed.  There are few things that will lead to poor employee morale, poor results and employees that don't care faster than a complete lack of faith in their leader and in their belief that he can help them be successful. Is there any reason that the previous managers couldn't have done the same thing that I did, basically turning the worst performing stores into the best or near the best performing stores within a year's timeframe with most of the same people? 

No. They couldn't/didn't do it because their employees didn't believe in them and the longer it went on, the more "checked out" they became.  More importantly they were either unwilling to do or unable to recognize the things they needed to fix to allow the results the were getting to change. Maybe it was related to the amount of effort they had to put in, maybe the amount of time, maybe the "difficulty" of it.  The bottom line is if you recognize what the serious issues are and you aren't fully willing to commit to fixing them, then nothing else you do is going to matter. In some cases the previous manager had an employee that would be very good doing one thing but terrible at another. 

Instead of maximizing their strengths and then training their weaknesses, they insisted on keeping them in their "position".  Well I don't care about the position, I care about how you can best help solve the problems we face and if you are a 9 in sales but a 2 in collecting and the other person is a 7 in sales and a 5 in collecting, I am putting the 9 on sales and the 5 on collecting. It is mind blowing to me how many times managers have people in jobs that they simply aren't very good at when they could have them do something else they are very good at and stick to the "well this is the job we hired you for". I mean, who cares?  Are you trying to actually solve the problem or are you contributing to making it worse? Think of Mario Williams dropping into coverage because that was Rex's "scheme".

Do you think the players were happy when they looked at their coaches under Rex not putting in the time needed to be successful and left them feeling unprepared and looking like fools during games? Doubt it...yeah they might have enjoyed how easy the practices were and how much extra free time they had but deep down they were probably pissed because they knew he was setting them up to fail when it mattered. Rex tried to trade of being a "players coach" and letting them do whatever so they would be more likely to overlook when he was lax with things himself...almost like a quid pro quo.  That never works well...it creates resentment and disdain for their "leader" who is unwilling to put the work in themselves to do what is needed. You can't tell me all the complaining that was done and throwing Rex and the coaching staff under the bus repeatedly wasn't related to that to a large degree. Well, you could, but I know better. Seen it too many times first hand. They didn't respect him as a leader.

I have news for you...there is NO difference between my experiences at these businesses in multiple different industries and anything else, including football teams.  I cannot think of one instance that a person will perform better for a poor leader than a good one but can point to lots of examples of the reverse. Saying the "right" people wouldn't do that is just nonsense and shows your lack of experience in these situations.  EVERYONE has a breaking point where they just "check out". Some will take longer to get there and some will get there relatively quickly, but no matter how good an employee is, it will happen when you have continual poor leadership in place that they fail to believe in.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

You don’t need to have a relationship with everyone in the building.

You don’t need to address problems with the team or speak to the team at half time.

That's not how leadership works.  Not good leadership, anyway.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think other teams will look side eyed at his bashing of the head coach but then i also think his agent will say “he’s just trying to get traded, he won’t be like that with you”  etc 

His agent obviously has no control over his behavior, so no GM or owner would belief that.

1 hour ago, IDBillzFan said:

I'm pretty sure he didn't do this interview to change anyone's opinion about Gase.

He took a flamethrower to the team to force the team to trade him...to have them wake up today and say to each other, "We can't go into the season with this mouth." That's it in a nutshell.

And for what it's worth, let me be clear: I detest players who use the media to move their side of negotiations, especially when the player has a particularly willing partner like the NY sports media. You keep stuff like this behind closed doors. But this wasn't a simple comment like "I may not show up to camp." This wasn't Adams just burning a bridge. This is Adams burning a bridge, swimming back over, dropping napalm on the remains of the bridge, swimming back over again and slitting the throat of anything that could have possibly survived the napalm.

Not sure how the Jets keep him after this, which is why (I think) he did it.

Yes, we have already seen him do this several times this off season--including again earlier this week.. How many more times doe he do this?  They have already made up their mind what they are going to do with him.  They aren't sitting back and saying "ok one more time and we are trading him!"  

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think anyone is disputing that. He is still right though

Breaking news, Gase: bad.  No one is disputing that either so for him it was a point not worth re-iterating, other than to make a scene.  

After years of watching the Bills be the dysfunctional shitshow of the week, it sure is refreshing watching that title go to someone else.

Between the Woody Johnson situation, Gase being a terrible leader, their best player wanting out and trashing the organization, the way they’re sabotaging Darnold with poor personnel and coaching turnover, and now Joe Douglas being accused of dishonest negotiating tactics, it is clear as can be that the Jets are a mess.

I feel like us Bills fans can see it for what it is because we’ve developed a keen eye for organizational dysfunction. The Jets fans, meanwhile, have all turned on Adams, are dismissing anything he says out of hand, and are hoping for a big turnaround under Gase and their shiny, new offensive line. I don’t see it. Bad/disconnected ownership, bad head coach, alienating good players, hanging their young QB out to dry, signing 2nd and 3rd tier offensive “help”....it all adds up to a recipe for mediocrity at best, disaster at worst.

Its glorious to watch.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

You don’t need to have a relationship with everyone in the building.

You don’t need to address problems with the team or speak to the team at half time.

You need to have good players that can execute the plays based off a sound game plan on Game Days.

Jets don’t have good players...their coaching staff doesn’t develop good game plans.

Look at it this way...

Change nothing about GASE, except make him a Game Planning/Playcalling genius.

No one would say anything

You can be aloof and weird if you are great.  But when you are not a good coach AND you are aloof and weird...disaster.

Get your point... but I somewhat disagree. 
Teams need leaders. A poor coach/leader doesn’t usually work with a team of all stars and personalities.... and sure as heck won’t work with a team of mostly average Joe’s. 

You need to be able to be a good leader in order to install a culture of winning (which the Bills didn’t have before McD), and to be able to coach players UP to their potential.  

To me, the bigger issue is the respect factor. The players clearly don’t respect Gase... and they likely won’t play hard for him. Bellichick may not be ‘liked,’ but he sure is respected. And his players play for him and the other coaches. There is a culture. Appears Gase never built a positive culture, and it’s showing.

4 hours ago, Greg S said:

He is a bit of a drama queen but he is a really good player. I know the Jets would never trade him here but I wouldn't mind seeing him on the Bills. I don't think he would have that bad attitude playing for a real leader like McDermott. Winning cures all so he would be happy playing here. As a bonus he would absolutely want to stick it to the Jets every time. With all that said I hope he gets traded to the NFC as well.

well, he’s a 1st rd. Pick.  I’m not sure if they placed the 5th year option on him as that would’ve had to be done a few months ago.  If so, as I thought that was the case, then they have Jamal for two more years.  By then, he s pretty much free and clear unless they tag him.  If not because they are sick of him, then yes, that would be great.  I agree with you’re assertion he could be rained in by our teams leadership, but we have Hyde and 2 years from now would be perfect timing.

Given this team has built the defense from the back forwards which is brilliant, having Adams next to White, and Poyer would be awesome.  Norman May work out, but we’ll need to draft another CB over the next 2 years.  So bottom line Greg is rock on, just not now.

@ScottLaw always gets on me for my “predictions” but I’m right more often than he is. Many of us immediately declared the Jets’ hire of Gase an idiotic move, but Scott was right there claiming the Jets would be a playoff team. A little more than a year later the Jets look ready to implode behind a questionable owner and a horrible leader at HC. 

• Haha (+1) 2

It's almost like there was no history of Gase's grease fire in Miami for the Johnson's to research.

The same things that happened with Gase in Miami are happening now.  For the Johnson's to 

hire him, not two weeks after he was fired in Miami, was the height of stupidity.  

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Logic said:

After years of watching the Bills be the dysfunctional shitshow of the week, it sure is refreshing watching that title go to someone else.

Between the Woody Johnson situation, Gase being a terrible leader, their best player wanting out and trashing the organization, the way they’re sabotaging Darnold with poor personnel and coaching turnover, and now Joe Douglas being accused of dishonest negotiating tactics, it is clear as can be that the Jets are a mess.

I feel like us Bills fans can see it for what it is because we’ve developed a keen eye for organizational dysfunction. The Jets fans, meanwhile, have all turned on Adams, are dismissing anything he says out of hand, and are hoping for a big turnaround under Gase and their shiny, new offensive line. I don’t see it. Bad/disconnected ownership, bad head coach, alienating good players, hanging their young QB out to dry, signing 2nd and 3rd tier offensive “help”....it all adds up to a recipe for mediocrity at best, disaster at worst.

Its glorious to watch.

Logic, couldn’t agree more with every point my fine young friend.  What concerns me not this year as the Pats will eventually go down in flames as Belicheat will retire, and Cam will no be good as he is not who he used to be in Carolina.  The Fish as much as I hate them is concerning as competition.  Not this year as it will take time for all of those picks and free agents to gel, But Tua if healthy is scary good.

We might be heading back to a day where the Jets and Pats are a joke, and it is an Allen/Tua battle vs. Kelly/Marino.  I thoroughly believe we have the better team, and I have complete confidence in McBeane, but Miami’s coach May be good.  Hell, they beat the Pats fairly at the end of the season when the Pats had to win to get a bye.  That coach might be sharp.  It would be nice getting back to hating the Fish with all of my heart with my “Squish the Fish” poster on my garage wall like it was for 20 years.  I don’t know if you guys remember that old poster, but it was dear to my heart.  I hate those bastages (Johnny Dangerously reference for the youngins), and no that was not a fargin treek question.  If you’re in your 20’s find it and watch.  Movie used to crack me up.

• Awesome! (+1) 1