Did anyone not play sports in high school?

Another Fan

5 hours ago, stevestojan said:

Well that took a horrific turn at the end. So since you said misdiagnosed, was it a one time thing? Do you think the hits from the scrimmage has anything to do with it? 

It was a one time thing.  I was in the hospital for a week and never recovered the memories. The medication I was being given Dilantin was affecting me strangely and slowing down my ability to think.  I was being watched by my mother when I was taking it and I quickly learned a "trick" putting medication on thumb and flicking it in mouth but in reality it went into my hand. I know it was a waste of money but could convince doctor or mother to stop medication.  I was not allowed to do any sports or even get learner permit when I was older.

In following year I went to Frontier and ran into coach accidentally. He said he was sorry for what happened and I had real potential despite my poor eyesight in one eye.  He asked me to become coaching assistant and I did so mostly handling gear and such.  I also came under attention of VP who also ran the "Wiener Wagon", essential for money for sports, which we used to sell beverages and snacks in game so after equipment was set up I would work there during game.  I got my varsity letter via it. I ended up taking over running over all sports vending services.  Following year I was elected (I did not run) Varsity Club secretary which meant more service work for me.

Lettered in three sports; no football at my district.  Talked to a couple DIII schools about playing one of them.  Enrolled and was set to play and the program was cut a month before practice started.  All well and good, had a lot of fun regardless and played lots of intramural badminton.

Played basketball, baseball & football.  We were pretty good in basketball & baseball, football not so much.  I was the QB and would get pounded pretty good in the games, I was constantly sore during football season.  My senior year I decided not to go out for football and never regretted it.  It was actually where I first learned to tailgate.  MY friends and I would buy big gulps & fill them up with booze and would tailgate right in the parking lot and the teachers were none the wiser.  A few of my friends worked at Danny's (by the airport) & actually had a key to the place.  They would steal anything from strip steaks, to burgers & a couple times even lobster tails and we would grill out at the tail gate.  Here we are 17 year old kids not a dime to our name, grilling lobster tails & strip steaks before a high school football game right in the school parking lot.  Some of the times faculty would stop by and grab a bite to eat before the game.  I think some of them knew we were drinking but noone ever said anything.  They always thanked us for the food.  Much simpler times back then.  I miss those days.

38 minutes ago, Gordio said:

Played basketball, baseball & football.  We were pretty good in basketball & baseball, football not so much.  I was the QB and would get pounded pretty good in the games, I was constantly sore during football season.  

I have a buddy who went to QB camps and started at QB at a AA school in a decent conference here in NY.  Got crushed every game because of the O-line.  He, like you, quit after he realized it wasn't gonna get any better.

26 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I think as long as you pronounce it ka-ra-TAY, it's fine.

My son used to study Tae Kwon Do. One day, I was sitting in the dojo with the other parents, and a cell phone rang. The woman answered and said, "I'm at my grandson's Ka-RAH-tee lesson."

18 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Any marching band peeps out there?  You guys had the sluttiest girls.  Little known fact.

Band girls are up there, but I've found that Drama/Theater Club girls were the wildest. There's usually some overlap there anyways.

On 7/23/2020 at 11:46 AM, Another Fan said:

Perhaps this isn’t a fair judgment but my guess would be most members did?   Sometimes when I read the posts on the Bills a lot of posters are very knowledgeable about the X’s and O’s of the game.   Imo, that comes from playing football on a competitive level.  I get the arguments against PFF in that regard.

I didn’t play sports at all in high school with the school.   The main reasons were I was out of shape and unathletic at the time, transportation woulda been an issue with both my parents working, and well I really didn’t like most of the student population lol.   It was a small catholic high school.   

Anyone else? 

I played everything I could, until 10th grade...I loved playing all sports (while football is my favorite to watch, basketball was my favorite to play), but when I got to 10th grade, the size advantage I always had over other kids my age kinda shrunk.  I got more into music, and most of the kids who played sports were kinda *****.  I think I coulda kept playing football and basketball if I had wanted (or maybe I tell myself that), but i just kinda lost interest.  I went cold turkey, and just didint go out for anything in senior high.  Funny thing is, even though I stopped playing very young, I still think I suffered permanent physical damage from playing football.  I had fugged up shoulders at a pretty early age...and at 55 now, my knees feel like they are 75 most days.  I always played harder than smarter. 

On 7/23/2020 at 7:25 PM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Any marching band peeps out there?  You guys had the sluttiest girls.  Little known fact.

Not gonna lie..........when I see a response by you, I click on it. 

Worth it every time.

On 7/24/2020 at 1:06 PM, Gugny said:

I think as long as you pronounce it ka-ra-TAY, it's fine.

Steven Seagal - Martial Arts Expert - Biography

• Thank you (+1) 1

In junior high I played Football and wrestled. Starting center and nose tackle and started on the wrestling team. Varsity Football for my freshmen year and just focused on wrestling for the rest of my high school years. Coach kept asking me to come back out, but didn't want to get hurt for wrestling season. Varsity Wrestling for my 4 year high school years. I never had a losing record in all 4 years of wrestling. Now i wish I had play varsity football also.  But I guess there is nothing I can do now after 43 years. I coached kids football for 14 years also.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.