Charges against Ed Oliver dismissed

4 minutes ago, FireChans said:

You said, “in terms of our country’s legacy, it’s a whites only thing.”

Maybe if you amended that statement with the above, we wouldn’t disagree.

I’m pretty sure we’d still disagree.

There is a difference between saying the people in our government who sanctioned slavery and genocide were white vs. saying it was the white people who sanctioned slavery and genocide. White men, specifically, own those government actions in our nation’s history, there is no denying that, and that’s why it’s a “whites only” thing when it comes to those aspects of our legacy as a nation.

But again, that’s not saying all white people. So rest easy. 

3 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

That is absolutely true, and I think it's one of the most positive and simplest solutions to to racism.  Just do the right thing.  

The limitation of that approach is that if you can't see racism all around you, and you don't, there are a lot of right things to do that you're missing. 

I don't disagree that there is racism in this country. I have seen it

But Ive also seen a lot of good

OK so I am a bit confused (nothing special happens all the time)

but

Why are ppl saying that Oliver needs to learn his lesson when it appears that he didnt do anything wrong?   Am I missing something.

(this is not a political thing about him being black or what is going right now in the world regarding cops) I am legit asking if Oliver did something wrong

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I don't think it's hereditary I think it's a learned behavior from all ethnicities

That story was specifically about one conversation I had with an individual, who believed that over half of white Americans owned slaves back in the day.. and that was his rationale for white people being racist. If over 50% were racist back then , must be the same today

Because where did they all go? That was basically his point

And I had to explain that there were way more white people that fought and died to free the slaves, then there were people who were owning slaves

if you grow up thinking that all or the majority of white people were descendants of slave owners, whether you're white Asian black brown... it's certainly would put them in a very negative light in your mind

I know white people who hate their ancestors for owning slaves and actually hate themselves for being white.. and I say you can hate your ancestors, but don't hate yourself because you're different and you can do good

Must be the same today? That’s what this person thought? Because he suggested that it was indeed hereditary if he held the belief that descendants of white slave owners must hold those same racist views. This person needs a lesson in genetics as well as history. 

3 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Must be the same today? That’s what this person thought? Because he suggested that it was indeed hereditary if he held the belief that descendants of white slave owners must hold those same racist views. This person needs a lesson in genetics as well as history. 

Yes that is basically the conversation we had. And as someone who spent years getting a degree, it was pretty maddening 

And it's hard to have a civil conversation when you can't listen to all sides. Which I always try to do

Edited by Buffalo716

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yes that is basically the conversation we had. And as someone who spent years getting a degree, it was pretty maddening 

And it's hard to have a civil conversation when you can't listen to all sides. Which I always try to do

Information is readily available for those who avail themselves to it. But willful ignorance is impossible to converse with. 

9 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I've always believed that everybody has a story (history). One doesn't always have to agree with another's story but you can sure learn a lot by listening.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Uncle Joe said:

I've always believed that everybody has a story (history). One doesn't always have to agree with another's story but you can sure learn a lot by listening.

Of course. That's why I listened to him fully

You will never get anywhere by just judging and putting others down, you need to build people up

• Like (+1) 3

0.0 blood alcohol and he is charged with DUI??  How can that be...and if that did happen why did it take this long for charges to be dropped. This whole thing stinks. I'm glad he was exonerated but the fact he had to go through all of that sucks royal.

31 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

but

Why are ppl saying that Oliver needs to learn his lesson when it appears that he didnt do anything wrong?   Am I missing something.

(this is not a political thing about him being black or what is going right now in the world regarding cops) I am legit asking if Oliver did something wrong

the only thing i can figure is he having an open container in his car which gives cops probable cause to start the whole investigation. I still dont know how an open (empty) beer can equals a DUI charge with zero proof to me thats fishy as heck

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Pretzel?  You are seconding the fallacy that cops can't make a stop on a 9-1-1 call. which is bonkers.

so you’re saying cops respond to anonymous 911 calls to make traffic stops if they haven’t witnessed the behavior? I just don’t believe that happens with any sort of regularity. 

5 minutes ago, Muppy said:

0.0 blood alcohol and he is charged with DUI??  How can that be...and if that did happen why did it take this long for charges to be dropped. This whole thing stinks. I'm glad he was exonerated but the fact he had to go through all of that sucks royal.

There was an issue with this and marijuana DUI’s in Georgia for a bit.  Cops were arresting people with being high on weed when driving.  They wouldn’t have any THC in their system but it was Officers discretion....driver still had to go to court!

I heard the cases were dropped pretty quickly....

• Thank you (+1) 1

My dad got pulled over late one night coming home from work. Around 1 am and happened to be  night before thanksgiving. His license was in his briefcase in the trunk of his car so cop says get out and get it. Cop claimed he stumbled getting out of car so cuffs him up and at station do blood test and even though he blew 0 cop said ithe device was off.  Took months but then they claimed they lost the blood test.  They still end up at trial and he gets convicted cause on the stand the cop says in his opinion he was drunk driving.   They appealed and somehow the blood evidence comes forward and dad gets conviction overturned. Took like 2 years. ***** happens al the time

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

More like:

Harlem Globetrotters vs. the Washington Generals: Meadowlark Lemon ...

Careful, people could interpret this two ways!     :)

42 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

My dad got pulled over late one night coming home from work. Around 1 am and happened to be  night before thanksgiving. His license was in his briefcase in the trunk of his car so cop says get out and get it. Cop claimed he stumbled getting out of car so cuffs him up and at station do blood test and even though he blew 0 cop said ithe device was off.  Took months but then they claimed they lost the blood test.  They still end up at trial and he gets convicted cause on the stand the cop says in his opinion he was drunk driving.   They appealed and somehow the blood evidence comes forward and dad gets conviction overturned. Took like 2 years. ***** happens al the time

Serious question: What percentage of people driving at 1:00 am do you (people in general) think are 100% sober. There are, as you point out, some legit reasons for being out driving at that hour. Then there are the other folks. It sucks that it was so hard for him to make that go away.

Edited by Augie

7 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

yeah well my dad got arrested for drunk driving after going through Burger Kings drive-thru at 11 pm on his motorcycle

Top that!

Wait wrong kind of story battle

58 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

but

learn his lesson means stay the hell out of the most corrupt county in Texas. 

15 minutes ago, eball said:

so you’re saying cops respond to anonymous 911 calls to make traffic stops if they haven’t witnessed the behavior? I just don’t believe that happens with any sort of regularity. 

yes they clearly do, and obvious not  because I say so.  It’s fact.  It’s settled law. It’s frequency is immaterial. 

why are you still struggling with this? 

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

Careful, people could interpret this two ways!     :)

1).  Utter domination 

2). sporting entertainment 

I have no problem with either!