Report: bills wanted to draft Wilson/Prescott

After being fired upon the completion of his final (lame duck) draft with the Bills, I seem to remember a lot of talk (met with a fair amount of derision by Bills fans) that Whaley was pushing for the Bills to draft Patrick Mahomes. Instead, the pick was traded to the Chiefs for their first rounder and third rounders.  I love Tre'Davious White, and I am glad we have Allen..but Patrick Mahomes?

I will always believe that Whaley made his mistakes, but he wasn't the disaster as a GM that seems to be the prevailing opinion around here.  He never really had all the power he should have had, to be successful.  

Edited by Buftex
  • Like (+1) 4

Breaking news! Former QB coach retrospectively recalls he wanted the bills to draft these probowl QBs 

Scandalous! 

9 minutes ago, Buftex said:

After being fired upon the completion of his final (lame duck) draft with the Bills, I seem to remember a lot of talk (met with a fair amount of derision by Bills fans) that Whaley was pushing for the Bills to draft Patrick Mahomes. Instead, the pick was traded to the Chiefs for their first rounder and third rounders.  I love Tre'Davious White, and I am glad we have Allen..but Patrick Mahomes?

I will always believe that Whaley made his mistakes, but he wasn't the disaster as a GM that seems to be the prevailing opinion around here.  He never really had all the power he should have had, to be successful.  

best summary of him I ever saw was; he was decent to even good at finding talent, particularly Amin certain position groups like LB, but not at building teams. 

seems fair 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Buftex said:

Whaley was essentially an overpaid scout.

He had no concept on team building.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Buftex said:

I thought it was Deshaun Watson? Either way, he finally would have made a decent QB pick. But I cant fault McD for blocking any QB picks regardless of who was there. Everyone knew Whaley was on his way out and a new GM was on their way in, so not fair to saddle the new GM with a Whaley QB pick. Nor would I stake my first-time coaching job on a Whaley QB pick if I were McD.

Just now, Rc2catch said:

Similar to Mahomes given our situation I’m not sure Wilson would of been MVP caliber here. He’s had some good coaching and of course his own hard work to become a top tier quarterback. Our team was a mess. 

Outside of that 2014 team with Marrone, I agree. Especially when it comes to the coaching support.

Pete Carroll had Wilson Athletics make them custom footballs without laces because he saw Russell liked getting the ball out quickly, and wanted him to learn to do it without needing to find the laces first. Does anyone think Marrone/Hackett were going that in-depth in their development?

21 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Breaking news! Former QB coach retrospectively recalls he wanted the bills to draft these probowl QBs 

Scandalous! 

best summary of him I ever saw was; he was decent to even good at finding talent, particularly Amin certain position groups like LB, but not at building teams. 

seems fair 

You are your results, so that is fair.  I will say though, I think he was doing a decent job of building a team. It kind of got blown up when Rex was hired.  Ryan was the de-facto GM at that point.  Whaley never got to pick his QB, or his coach.  And, you can't deny, there was a certain urgency to getting the team to the playoffs, asap.

Edited by Buftex
  • Like (+1) 2

Who cares?  There was also a report that said the Seahawks were ready to trade Wilson to the Browns for the number one pick in 2018 so they could draft Allen. Allen also won head to head against Prescott on Thanksgiving.

14 minutes ago, Buftex said:

You are your results, so that is fair.  I will say though, I think he was doing a decent job of building a team. It kind of got blown up when Rex was hired.  Ryan was the de-facto GM at that point.  Whaley never got to pick his QB, or his coach.  And, you can't deny, there was a certain urgency to getting the team to the playoffs, asap.

Whaley was GM for 4 years, and in that time had 3 Head Coaches and 4 Defensive Coordinators to draft for. And none of the DCs ran even close to the same scheme as the previous.

I wont do a ton of arguing for Whaley as the results are what they are, but he never had a chance of succeeding with the way this organization was run.

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

This is why you over draft QBs so you get who you want.

That is in actuality, the crux of the matter. Nix was trying to be too clever before drafting Wilson. The same thing happened with, I think, Cousins, a year or so before. Nix didn't learn from his mistake that year, but eventually did do so, but for the wrong QB in EJ. At least then he traded down before doing so.

Probably around the time he was retiring, I remember a presser with Nix, where he talked about this stuff. The Cousins situation was pretty annoying, becaue nobody expected the 'Skins to double down on QBs after taking RG3.

While it's easy to criticise with hindsight, teams regularly will try and wait to take a player they like, to get the best value from their picks.  An absolutely classic example of this was the Kyle Williams pick. Marv wanted to take him a round before, but Modrak persuaded him he would still be there in the next round, which thankfully, he was.

As regards Whaley, his issues all largely stemmed from never being the guy who had the final say - even when he was GM, mainly due to the situation as regards ownership and structures. For sure, he had input into a lot of those decisions, but as to being able to put his own 'stamp' on the selection of QB and HC, he never really was given that opportunity.

4 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Had we drafted Russ Wilson we would have missed out on the acrobatic catches of TJ Graham (the only WR I’ve ever seen jump three feet in the air to attempt catching a ball thrown at his shins). 

I could use a laugh, so if anyone has a clip of that it would be appreciated. 

Or not, maybe it would make me more sad.

4 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Had we drafted Russ Wilson we would have missed out on the acrobatic catches of TJ Graham (the only WR I’ve ever seen jump three feet in the air to attempt catching a ball thrown at his shins). 

seriously-  He had 7 catches for 100 yds as a senior in high school. Was a good returner in college but meh as a WR. 

They were Always trying to get cute with these small track stars and returners...  “ya can’t coach speed”  ? 

2 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

If he is so smart evaluating QBs, why didn't he provide his opinion of Josh Allen? Or will he wait till Allen retires? 

I believe he also wanted to draft tom brady in retrospect 

Just now, Never NEVER Give-up said:

I distinctly remember Nix saying he didn't like Russell Wilson's size.  He couldn't get past that - he thought he was too small and his hands were too.

Height is why he fell, but Russ has monster hand size ... 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

The Wilson stuff has been talked about for ages. Even right after that draft they were lamenting the fact that they graded him too low. IIRC, around that time it came out that Seattle was literally the only team that had a third round grade on him. Everyone else had a fourth round or later grade on him. 

And I recall rumblings in 2016 that they had major interest in Dak, but I don't think it was said that Whaley was all in on Cardale. From what I can remember, Cardale was like the consolation prize because they'd missed on Dak. Imagine how much more of a whoopin' Whaley would've taken if both Dak and Cardale were still on the board and he took Cardale over Dak. Yikes. Dude's a good scout but not a great team builder. His whole philosophy of drafting from winning programs in hopes that picks from those schools would somehow bring that winning magic with them was bogus.