Report: bills wanted to draft Wilson/Prescott

Thanks BM.  Another example of how Nix and Whaley screwed the pooch again, and again.  I can live with us passing on Dak, not because he’s not a good QB (he is decent), but passing on Wilson.  Do our TBD friends here, can you imagine if we had Russell Wilson all these years.  Think about even when we first had Hughes, and all, and I mean all the Williams producing 56 sacks in a year to have a QB as exciting as Wilson on the team.

We would have been in the playoffs a bunch of times, and even knuckleheads like Maroon and Wrex would have led to more victories.  I’m not sampling SB’s as Carroll for his gum chewing interviews and his GM, built solid teams.  I guess the good news is Marrone wouldn’t have left having Wilson, and we would have probably Whaley still as the GM.

Its easy to do the woulda, coulda, shoulda, but we now have Allen, a fantastically talented team, McD, and his staff, and this certain GM that put together a greatly talented team.

• Like (+1) 4

16 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Thanks BM.  Another example of how Nix and Whaley screwed the pooch again, and again.  I can live with us passing on Dak, not because he’s not a good QB (he is decent), but passing on Wilson.  Do our TBD friends here, can you imagine if we had Russell Wilson all these years.  Think about even when we first had Hughes, and all, and I mean all the Williams producing 56 sacks in a year to have a QB as exciting as Wilson on the team.

We would have been in the playoffs a bunch of times, and even knuckleheads like Maroon and Wrex would have led to more victories.  I’m not sampling SB’s as Carroll for his gum chewing interviews and his GM, built solid teams.  I guess the good news is Marrone wouldn’t have left having Wilson, and we would have probably Whaley still as the GM.

Its easy to do the woulda, coulda, shoulda, but we now have Allen, a fantastically talented team, McD, and his staff, and this certain GM that put together a greatly talented team.

I'm not so sure about that as even with Wilson they likely would have had a hard time surrounding him with talent.  Could see Wilson too once his rookie contract was up saying, nice knowing you guys and bolting.  Yes we could have franchised him, but only so long before it got too costly, or some other team made a big trade offer for him.  Not sure that would have happened either as with a weak team around him Wilson may not have looked as good as he has to attract any big offers.

Bottom line IMO, as you said with Nix and Whaley making the choices, we still may have had an overall mess, maybe a little better, repeated 8-8 seasons which could sneak into playoff some years, but also would have been strong enough to not get as good draft picks either.

• Like (+1) 1

It's been known they targeted Wilson in the 4th, which made trading up for Graham even worse. 

You can't tell me you liked a QB but were willing to wait until the 4th for him, that's just BS. You thought he was a backup prospect or else you would have done everything in your power to draft him much higher.

• Like (+1) 4

A lot of revisionist history here from Buddy Nix.  If he loved Russel Wilson as much as he said he did, why wouldn’t he take him before the 4th round?  Why would he take TJ “FN” Graham ahead of him?  It’s because he didn’t value Russ as much as he wants you to believe back then.

Also Doug Whaley taking Cardale Jones over Dak Prescott.  TERRIBLE.

Yet there are so many stans in this group that will say Nix and Whaley were good GM’s.  They were horrible and screwed this franchise 

• Like (+1) 2

I love how they pick good QBs and then say “we planned to draft them.” Ha ha, I’m waiting for the article that says “Bills had their heart set on Christian Ponder” (which was also rumored). They selectively pick good QBs and are like “yeah, that was my guy.”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Had we drafted Russ Wilson we would have missed out on the acrobatic catches of TJ Graham (the only WR I’ve ever seen jump three feet in the air to attempt catching a ball thrown at his shins). 

Burn.

Reported.

?

12 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I love how they pick good QBs and then say “we planned to draft them.” Ha ha, I’m waiting for the article that says “Bills had their heart set on Christian Ponder” (which was also rumored). They selectively pick good QBs and are like “yeah, that was my guy.”

Yes and it’s a lot of revisionist history for Lee and Nix here.  Of course, Buddy wanted Russell Wilson!  

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Had we drafted Russ Wilson we would have missed out on the acrobatic catches of TJ Graham (the only WR I’ve ever seen jump three feet in the air to attempt catching a ball thrown at his shins). 

There's just so much about  trading up for TJ Graham and not taking Wilson that is dumb and wrong, it's hard to know where to start

• Like (+1) 3