Wearable Air Conditioning/AC Helmets

Teddy KGB

6 minutes ago, Steve O said:

The reviews I read were all positive. Comes with a 30 day money back guarantee so not much risk from that end.

seems like everyone who works outside would have them by now if they worked well.  

makes me skeptical. 

Year ago, when I worked in a suit and was in NYC, DC and Boston often, I almost bought one of the neck versions from The Sharper Image (or was it Brookstone?). Very mixed reports at the time. I'm guessing the new version could be improved. Even back then I thought it would be worth a shot, but never pulled the trigger. I'd sweat like crazy in the summer back then. 

Yes, you can dip a towel in water and put it on your neck.  And as long as you continue to have water available that might work. But when you are walking blocks upon blocks, taking subways and cabs, that isn't typically available. 

• Like (+1) 1

JC!  They have a .gif for everyone!

sQ6n0JN.gif

7 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Year ago, when I worked in a suit and was in NYC, DC and Boston often, I almost bought one of the neck versions from The Sharper Image (or was it Brookstone?). Very mixed reports at the time. I'm guessing the new version could be improved. Even back then I thought it would be worth a shot, but never pulled the trigger. I'd sweat like crazy in the summer back then. 

Yes, you can dip a towel in water and put it on your neck.  And as long as you continue to have water available that might work. But when you are walking blocks upon blocks, taking subways and cabs, that isn't typically available. 

12 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

seems like everyone who works outside would have them by now if they worked well.  

makes me skeptical. 

a motorcycle helmet isn’t really super practical for daily work wear. I’d venture for a ride it could make sense though. 

9 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

a motorcycle helmet isn’t really super practical for daily work wear. I’d venture for a ride it could make sense though. 

Maybe he was talking about the neck wrap. Though it doesn't seem practical for doing construction of anything like that. 

7 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Just don't  wear a helmet.  No laws here in these States.  You'll  be cool and breezy in these non-Facist States, which is a lot of them over 18 years of age. More than 1/2 the States at 21 or older:

Screenshot_20200723-023243_Chrome.thumb.jpg.0af937b46084767dffda87317646f315.jpg

I still can't understand a state having a seat belt law but NO motorcycle helmet law. 

Seat belts only protect those who use them. Motorcycle helmets (for the bikes driver) protect everyone on the road.

3 minutes ago, The Dean said:

I still can't understand a state having a seat belt law but NO motorcycle helmet law. 

Seat belts only protect those who use them. Motorcycle helmets (for the bikes driver) protect everyone on the road.

AND Illinois is one of the toughest  seat  belt laws.  I think children are graduated from  High School and not out of a booster  seat. 

22 hours ago, The Dean said:

How do motorcycle helmets help anyone other than the person wearing it (like seat belt)?

11 minutes ago, Gugny said:

How do motorcycle helmets help anyone other than the person wearing it (like seat belt)?

In my years of driving my car's windshield/hood/roof  has been struck by any number of objects bouncing up from the road/falling off trucks and out of trunks/etc. A stone in the eye is surely enough, perhaps, to cause the driver to swerve out of control/put down the bike/etc. A bike suddenly swerving out of control in this situation can impact the rest of the traffic on the road.

Certainly a helmet/shield can go a long way prevent/minimize the impact in many events. 

I am unaware of any secondary physical damage from the flying bodies of automobile drivers/passengers not wearing seat belts. 

7 minutes ago, The Dean said:

In my years of driving my car's windshield/hood/roof  has been struck by any number of objects bouncing up from the road/falling off trucks and out of trunks/etc. A stone in the eye is surely enough, perhaps, to cause the driver to swerve out of control/put down the bike/etc. A bike suddenly swerving out of control in this situation can impact the rest of the traffic on the road.

Certainly a helmet/shield can go a long way prevent/minimize the impact in many events. 

I am unaware of any secondary physical damage from the flying bodies of automobile drivers/passengers not wearing seat belts. 

Great point, thank you.

As a former motorcycle rider, I did not like the full helmet/face shield at all.  It didn't take me long to switch to a beanie-style helmet.  I always wore riding glasses, though - either shades or clear.

On 7/22/2020 at 6:09 AM, Teddy KGB said:

Total nonsense is the answer. I ordered this a couple months ago after getting my stimulus check thinking it's worth a shot. Besides the 2 month delivery time, it's advertised as AC right up until they ship it then it's just labeled and packaged stating it's just a fan.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, bluebomber65 said:

Total nonsense is the answer. I ordered this a couple months ago after getting my stimulus check thinking it's worth a shot. Besides the 2 month delivery time, it's advertised as AC right up until they ship it then it's just labeled and packaged stating it's just a fan.

Which product?