Josh Allen year 3 comparisons

Ill be back to cash these checks after he plays a few games and the sky is falling for some. I want him to be good. But i think the holes in his game arent fixable. But you can conceal them if everything else goes right. But i dont think he has the game for a qb in the year 2020. He woulda been good in 1975. But in todays nfl. I dont think so. 

49 minutes ago, 808 said:

Ill be back to cash these checks after he plays a few games and the sky is falling for some. I want him to be good. But i think the holes in his game arent fixable. But you can conceal them if everything else goes right. But i dont think he has the game for a qb in the year 2020. He woulda been good in 1975. But in todays nfl. I dont think so. 

So if Josh ends up being great, does that mean you won't be back? That would be 2 wonderful things. 

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Gambit said:

So if Josh ends up being great, does that mean you won't be back? That would be 2 wonderful things. 

My feelings dont get hurt when josh plays bad like some. Ive come to reality with it. Im not going to build him up and look past his warts by saying look how strong his arm is tho! He tries the hardest!  
Until he actually shows he is better. This is him. And projecting that he only gets better is not realistic if youre not also saying he could get worse  or stay the same. 
??‍♂️But sure ill stop coming here if you stop too ?

So far it seems like for year 3 comps:

FLOOR: MITCH TRUBISKY (bad stats, losing season)

MAKES A STEP: JOSH FREEMAN (eratic but good stats, good season)

MAKES TWO STEPS: DAK PRESCOTT (under control, commands offense, one playoff win)

HUGE STRIDES: CAM NEWTON (backyard football with passing/running, division win, pro bowl)

Fair?

26 minutes ago, rayray808 said:

So far it seems like for year 3 comps:

FLOOR: MITCH TRUBISKY (bad stats, losing season)

MAKES A STEP: JOSH FREEMAN (eratic but good stats, good season)

MAKES TWO STEPS: DAK PRESCOTT (under control, commands offense, one playoff win)

HUGE STRIDES: CAM NEWTON (backyard football with passing/running, division win, pro bowl)

Fair?

I think you have to specify a Cam Newton season.  His 2014 and 2017 seasons look much like Josh2019.  Cam 2013 is better and 2015 is best.  Imo, due to their size and the way they play, the thread could be which of Cam Newton's seasons do you think Josh's will most look like in 2020?  Then we could argue about that.  

45 minutes ago, 808 said:

My feelings dont get hurt when josh plays bad like some. Ive come to reality with it. Im not going to build him up and look past his warts by saying look how strong his arm is tho! He tries the hardest!  
Until he actually shows he is better. This is him. And projecting that he only gets better is not realistic if youre not also saying he could get worse  or stay the same. 
??‍♂️But sure ill stop coming here if you stop too ?

When did I say he will only get better? That wasn't even remotely what I said but nice try buddy. And the last part made me chuckle. 

14 hours ago, 808 said:

Josh freeman is great comp for him. Youll get burned at the stake for it cause people are happy since josh is better than the 30 turd bags the bills wheeled out since kelly. But that still doesnt mean he is an NFL starting qb. Just means he was a step up from dog poop. 

Yikes there 808, do you feel better now that you have fully expressed yourself? by the way, how many of those turd bag QBs won ten games and sealed a playoff appearance at week 14 in their 2nd year?  How many of those turd bag QBs have beat the cowboys soundly in their house? How many of those turd bag QBs were likely candidates to win the division in their 3rd year? You my fellow fan desperately need to burn down a fatty and enjoy your favorite beverage while doing so. You come across as a most unhappy individual, kinda feel bad for you, those seventeen years of the recent past must have had you “close to the edge”... 

Go Bills!!!

1 hour ago, Gambit said:

When did I say he will only get better? That wasn't even remotely what I said but nice try buddy. And the last part made me chuckle. 

I didnt say “you” said it. But look thru this thread or any topic related to josh on this board and its only puppies and rainbows. It only gets better. 

27 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Yikes there 808, do you feel better now that you have fully expressed yourself? by the way, how many of those turd bag QBs won ten games and sealed a playoff appearance at week 14 in their 2nd year?  How many of those turd bag QBs have beat the cowboys soundly in their house? How many of those turd bag QBs were likely candidates to win the division in their 3rd year? You my fellow fan desperately need to burn down a fatty and enjoy your favorite beverage while doing so. You come across as a most unhappy individual, kinda feel bad for you, those seventeen years of the recent past must have had you “close to the edge”... 

Go Bills!!!

You mean the 8-8 power house cowboys? 
fitz beat the pats that won a superbowl?
my issue is josh gets gold stars everyweek from his fan boys for climbing out of a self dug hole like he did something amazing. Bills fan are just soo accustomed to poor qb play that mediocre seems great. 
he had some moments. But to not acknowledge he had more wtfs than ups is not what ima do. 

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, 808 said:

I didnt say “you” said it. But look thru this thread or any topic related to josh on this board and its only puppies and rainbows. It only gets better. 

my issue is josh gets gold stars everyweek from his fan boys for climbing out of a self dug hole like he did something amazing. Bills fan are just soo accustomed to poor qb play that mediocre seems great. 
he had some moments. But to not acknowledge he had more wtfs than ups is not what ima do. 

It may just be me..., but it does appear that everyone knows that Allen has things to improve on, and he says as much himself, so your revelation that he isn’t Joe Montana after two years is not a thing as it were, Josh Allen is the best Turd bag QB since the drought started, and by the way the cowboys are considered a great team, just ask ESPN.,. ??

Still though, you need that fatty and a beer badly, do get right on that, it’s for your own good... 

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 808 said:

The more you post the more I feel sorry for you

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

It may just be me..., but it does appear that everyone knows that Allen has things to improve on, and he says as much himself, so your revelation that he isn’t Joe Montana after two years is not a thing as it were, Josh Allen is the best Turd bag QB since the drought started, and by the way the cowboys are considered a great team, just ask ESPN.,. ??

Still though, you need that fatty and a beer badly, do get right on that, it’s for your own good... 

i feel you. Maybe turd bag wasnt a great name. But its not that im down on him. As the great buddy nix said. Show me the baby. Dont tell me about the labor. ?. Ive gone thru the madness of latching on to the wrong qb. It is what it is. Im just waiting and being analytical about it rather than jumping in feet first. ??

47 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

The more you post the more I feel sorry for you

Send me the kool aid recipe you got and maybe ill be part of jonestown north. 

4 minutes ago, 808 said:

i feel you. Maybe turd bag wasnt a great name. But its not that im down on him. As the great buddy nix said. Show me the baby. Dont tell me about the labor. ?. Ive gone thru the madness of latching on to the wrong qb. It is what it is. Im just waiting and being analytical about it rather than jumping in feet first. ??

Send me the kool aid recipe you got and maybe ill be part of jonestown north. 

Kool Aid.....we need to keep you away from the sharp objects in the room

• Like (+1) 1

Pat Mahomes

Not sure what you negative nancies are watching but Josh has a GOAT arm... he can make throws no other QB EVER could make... Very accurate in short and intermediate throws just needs to Drew Brees it and connect on the Deep ball as well... Then people will acknowledge that GOAT cannon

Honest assessment here:

Ceiling: Cam in MVP year

Floor: Derek Anderson in back half of time in Cleveland 

I don’t really expect either, but I do think they’re both in the realm of possibility.  If things click with mechanics and progressions/reads, then I see great things for Allen.  That’s very optimistic, but it could happen.  Why not root for it?

As for the DA worst case dooms day scenario, it’s about confidence.  Allen is still better as a player in a lot of ways, but DA had similar accuracy issues and once defenses adjusted coverages to him he lost his confidence and crashed.  Allen started off well in the Houston game, but really lost it after his fumble.  There’s a part of me that worries that his confidence might not be where it should be.  With little practice time to settle in before this season starts I worry about what a slow/rough start might do to him in that regard.  As for defenses scheming against him, the difference between his performances against zone versus man is ridiculous.  I was stunned every time I saw heavy zone against him last season.

Realistically I’m looking for some incremental improvement.  In addition to Allen moving up the learning curve a bit I want to address what look like two statistical anomalies from last season where I think the odds played out both for and against Allen.  He should’ve gotten better numbers on his deep balls.  I think those will be better this season and that it’ll help him, his stats and the team.  With Diggs on board, maybe it’ll help them a lot.  But there are also his turnover worthy plays last season.  Too many errant throws that could’ve been picked but weren’t.  And too many fumbles that we were lucky enough to get back at a higher than expected rate.  Statistically I think that gets closer to the mean this year and we see more interceptions and lost fumbles.  Hopefully the better deep pass numbers outweigh the turnover numbers and we see a net positive.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, 808 said:

Except that he didn’t have for “wtf” moments than he did “ups”. The dude was and is a work in progress coming off a season where he had a mere 13 total turnovers to 29 total tds. Then there’s the 10 wins.  That’s not more wtf’s than positives. 

you have historically rational posters telling you that you look sorta silly at the moment. Maybe take a moment, gather some sense, and come back later. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

On 7/22/2020 at 11:41 PM, 808 said:

Josh freeman is great comp for him. Youll get burned at the stake for it cause people are happy since josh is better than the 30 turd bags the bills wheeled out since kelly. But that still doesnt mean he is an NFL starting qb. Just means he was a step up from dog poop. 

Wow, that’s actually a really interesting one.  Freeman had every physical tool and had a really good second season (5 game winning drives!!!!). And then he had 2 more seasons and was basically done.  

but again, I don’t think Allen is like any recent high 1st round prospect because he’s never had a history of dominance on any level.  That said, he’s in about as good of a situation as any 3rd year qb can be in.  If he doesn’t significantly improve this year, I’m quite confident in saying he isn’t the right guy. 

On 7/23/2020 at 3:14 AM, John from Riverside said:

You are entitled to you opinion.....regardless of how wrong you are

Freeman had a better second year that Allen.  It’s really not that crazy of a comparison.  

24 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Wow, that’s actually a really interesting one.  Freeman had every physical tool and had a really good second season (5 game winning drives!!!!). And then he had 2 more seasons and was basically done.  

but again, I don’t think Allen is like any recent high 1st round prospect because he’s never had a history of dominance on any level.  That said, he’s in about as good of a situation as any 3rd year qb can be in.  If he doesn’t significantly improve this year, I’m quite confident in saying he isn’t the right guy. 

Freeman had a better second year that Allen.  It’s really not that crazy of a comparison.  

Josh Freeman and Blake Bortles are both examples of guys who made good strides year 1 to year 2 and then their progress just stalled completely. I am guessing if you had asked any Tampa or Jags fans after their 2nd years none of those would have seen any obvious reasons why they had reached their plateau. Now I think Josh is more of a grinder than either of those guys who were both maybe not the best workers... but they were similarly big bodied, big armed, naturally talented guys.

I don't expect Josh to go the way they did, but it is a fair point, and I think Josh does need to keep progressing.

16 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Didn't feel like this deserved its own thread but it's interesting:

Yep. Encouraging number. Especially as Diggs will make sure the top two of those guys from last year are singled and open a lot more often. 

4 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Except that he didn’t have for “wtf” moments than he did “ups”. The dude was and is a work in progress coming off a season where he had a mere 13 total turnovers to 29 total tds. Then there’s the 10 wins.  That’s not more wtf’s than positives. 

you have historically rational posters telling you that you look sorta silly at the moment. Maybe take a moment, gather some sense, and come back later. 

Its almost like you didnt watch the games. A TEAM can win despite a qb shitting his pants a few times a game then coming thru once. 
how often did we see josh below 100yards passing entering the 4th or late in the third and a handfull of wtf throws and or fumbles. 

• Sad 1