Will Zay Jones make the Raiders Roster? From a Raider Fan...

Zay Jones  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Will Zay make the cut with the Raiders?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Bonus Question (For Kirby): Does N. Peterman make the roster?

• Yes
    • No

28 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

To be fair, I never say him play in college.  But I absolutely loved JuJu and wanted him so bad.  

I would say this with High picked receiver’s. You should have one semi elite skill - speed, size, route running, hands. I don’t think Zay had any.  

Man, the Peterman love won’t die!  Kizer >>> Peterman. He just doesn’t have a nfl arm.  Nice guy though. 

That’s fair on Zay. I guess I thought his elite skill was hands (that’s ironic in hindsight). He caught an NCAA record 399 balls in his career which is still a record (by a lot). There’s only one other guy to ever catch 350. My feeling is that he was an elite possession guy that COULD make big plays occasionally. It was just all wrong. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Nelius said:

Maybe not, but I could see him making it ahead of Agholor. Agholor is Zay Jones, except arguably more well known and still more of a disappointment. Doss is the talented wildcard, but undrafted. If he can play special teams, which I think he does, then he should get the nod ahead of both Zay and Agholor.

image.thumb.jpeg.fa97daa4d09c581d735b0ef7d127ee6a.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

What? You’re not calling it now? 

Hahaha, I don't care anymore, he's not hurting our team any longer and is someone elses problem now haha

7 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

Zay will make the roster. Best ability is availability and it is pretty clear that Zay will not catch coronavirus.

Hahahaha, that was one of my favorite posts of the summer, haha nice work

4 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

The only two guys who will threaten Zay for a roster spot are Ateman and Doss.   Two guys who were undrafted against a guy they gave up a draft pick for. I think he makes it this year, but will be gone after that. 

Additionally, they only have 3 quarterbacks listed on their depth chart so unless they only keep two guys The Peterman Can will make it as well.

They have Carr and Mariota...I seriously doubt they keep 3 guys when those are the other 2.  Typically, they keep a 3rd when you have a questionable backup at 2 or the 3rd is a promising developmental guy.  Neither of those 2 things are true in this case, so I think Peterman is auditioning for someone else to sign him once he's cut.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Zay is a maybe. He’s currently projected as a 2nd stringer. Peterman is a maybe as well as he went from the only 4th stringer in the league last year to the 3rd string. If they kept 4 last year it wouldn’t surprise to see them keep 3 this year. I voted no on both guys because they are bad football players that don’t warrant a roster spot. I think it will end up as a yes though, because Gruden.

I’ll own this. I LOVED Zay coming out. He was so productive throughout his career and dominated the senior bowl. I really thought he was going to be a rich man’s Robert Woods. Whoops

Im not sure who is "officially" listed as the second string QB, but Mariota is clearly the backup over Peterman.  And some Raider fans believe Mariota might push Carr to start, although, I think that is unlikely.  I don't think Carr is anything more than a mid tier starter, but I do think he is better than Mariota.  And with a quality backup like Mariota, I seriously doubt they keep a 3rd QB unless there is an injury.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Im not sure who is "officially" listed as the second string QB, but Mariota is clearly the backup over Peterman.  And some Raider fans believe Mariota might push Carr to start, although, I think that is unlikely.  I don't think Carr is anything more than a mid tier starter, but I do think he is better than Mariota.  And with a quality backup like Mariota, I seriously doubt they keep a 3rd QB unless there is an injury.  

Every team will be keeping at least 3 QBs this year. I can almost guarantee that

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Every team will be keeping at least 3 QBs this year. I can almost guarantee that

You know, thats actually a good point.  I definitely did not factor in the CORONA factor into my post about not keeping 3 QB's.  In any normal year, I would say NP had almost no chance of making the Raiders roster with Carr and Mariota there.  But now that you inserted that into the discussion, I actually think you might be right on that and think he has a decent chance to make the roster.

Good post sir

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I would say this with High picked receiver’s. You should have one semi elite skill - speed, size, route running, hands. I don’t think Zay had any.  

He did in college. Ironically it waw his hands. 

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s fair on Zay. I guess I thought his elite skill was hands (that’s ironic in hindsight). He caught an NCAA record 399 balls in his career which is still a record (by a lot). There’s only one other guy to ever catch 350. My feeling is that he was an elite possession guy that COULD make big plays occasionally. It was just all wrong. 

All that time he was fighting for Jesus, Jesus gave up fighting for him ? 

On the surface, in the combine, and on paper in general, the guy should have been a decent player. But in the end just another underachiever. Looking back at that draft in general WRs were sort of a bust. The first 3 ahead of Zay I’d suggest are unremarkable.  Juju At 62 and Godwin in the 80s were probably the gems of the class. 

Fascinating how "Protect the Shield" was always targeted towards NFL PLAYERS who smoked a little grass... And now the the billionaire owners are finally being exposed for being actual pieces of *****! 

On 7/22/2020 at 9:16 AM, C.Biscuit97 said:

In hindsight, maybe we should have not traded up Zay, stayed put, and picked Kupp or Juju.  Thank god this regime is just paying free agent receivers and making trades.  They were awful at evaluating receivers. 

Should've been Kupp:cry:

On 7/21/2020 at 10:41 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

My buddy just stopped by who lives across the street and just were talking football, he's a hard core Raider fan.  He brought up how excited he is about the Raiders WR group and I laughed and asked if it was because they have Zay Jones...we both laughed and he said no way he makes the roster even.  I forgot Raiders drafted both Ruggs and then Edwards in the 3rd, and they still have Hunter, Tyrell, Ahgolor, Doss, etc.  Given Zay brings nothing to ST, he basically said he wont make the team.  I laughed and said thats what I said in Buffalo last year too haha.  

Anyway, what do you guys think...Zay make the cut in Las Vegas?  Tyrell, Ruggs, and Hunter clearly ahead of him.  Then there is also Nelson Agholor, and Doss competing with Zay too plus a handful of other guys in the mix.  I would bet Raiders likely only keep 5 given their KR is a RB.  

I think, in an ordinary off-season where there were rookie training camps and OTAs and preseason games, Zay Jones butt would be toast.

Zay seems to me to be a classic "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" kind of guy - looks great in training camp and preseason, disappears when it's for-reals and they turn it up a notch.  So I think he will look good enough in training camp all preseason, get kept ahead of Agholor and Doss, and do what he does during the season (disappear).

• Like (+1) 1