A different type of "Covid-19 Party"

I thought this was a joke when I first read it, but it's apparently for-reals

German scientists are hosting a pop concert for 4,000 people to study how the coronavirus spreads in large groups and how to combat it

https://www.businessinsider.com/german-scientists-host-concert-to-study-how-the-coronavirus-spreads-2020-7

On the university's website, it says banning crowds to limit the coronavirus' spread has become "an existential threat for many athletes and artists, who depend on their audience for income," according to Deutsche Welle.  

The participants, all wearing masks, are expected to experience three concerts — one without social distancing, one with a slower entry and more focused on hygiene, and a final version in which participants will sit far enough away from one another to maintain social distancing.

Scientists plan on collecting information in numerous ways, including participants transmitting data every five seconds about where they are in the stadium using a wearable contact-tracing device.

They will use fluorescent hand sanitizer so scientists with UV lights will be able to see what surfaces have been touched and "become particularly dangerous," according to the university's website.

The plans also call for a fog machine to pump out fog meant to help visualize how the coronavirus could spread by aerosols.

The university's website says the risk of getting COVID-19 by attending the concert will be "very low," but it does not guarantee that it's risk-free.

Thought it was interesting as understanding how to have a large gathering of people and NOT spread covid-19 is important to stuff we all want to do like....WATCH FOOTBALL

This is either a horrible idea, or Pure Genius.  Love it.

• Like (+1) 3

12 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is either a horrible idea, or Pure Genius. 

Like a surprise onside kick or going for it on 4th down, whether it's stupid or brilliant will be determined by the result.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I thought this was a joke when I first read it, but it's apparently for-reals

German scientists are hosting a pop concert for 4,000 people to study how the coronavirus spreads in large groups and how to combat it

https://www.businessinsider.com/german-scientists-host-concert-to-study-how-the-coronavirus-spreads-2020-7

On the university's website, it says banning crowds to limit the coronavirus' spread has become "an existential threat for many athletes and artists, who depend on their audience for income," according to Deutsche Welle.  

The participants, all wearing masks, are expected to experience three concerts — one without social distancing, one with a slower entry and more focused on hygiene, and a final version in which participants will sit far enough away from one another to maintain social distancing.

Scientists plan on collecting information in numerous ways, including participants transmitting data every five seconds about where they are in the stadium using a wearable contact-tracing device.

They will use fluorescent hand sanitizer so scientists with UV lights will be able to see what surfaces have been touched and "become particularly dangerous," according to the university's website.

The plans also call for a fog machine to pump out fog meant to help visualize how the coronavirus could spread by aerosols.

The university's website says the risk of getting COVID-19 by attending the concert will be "very low," but it does not guarantee that it's risk-free.

Thought it was interesting as understanding how to have a large gathering of people and NOT spread covid-19 is important to stuff we all want to do like....WATCH FOOTBALL

This is either a horrible idea, or Pure Genius.  Love it.

I have signed up to participate in the vaccine trials, would sign up to do this at a Bills game as well

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Kinda related. In some of our own American-style "testing", some good news here:

https://www.livescience.com/hair-stylists-infected-covid19-face-masks.html

2 hair stylists had Corona. They saw 139 clients. Both the stylists and the clients all wore masks. 0 transmission.

Wear your masks.

Not quite true:

"Stylist A" (who interacted with Stylist B during breaks where they did not wear masks) infected "Stylist B"

But other than that, Yes.  Masks work.

Again, my kid is working this summer with "3000 of her closest friends" in a 100% mask-wearing manufacturing facility

Number of employees who have keeled over from oxygen deprivation in the hot, unairconditioned plant: 0

Number of ongoing transmission events from several covid-19 -positive employees who contracted the virus outside of work: also 0

(Number of employees who find mask wearing a damnable nuisance and uncomfortable as hell: unknown but most assuredly non-zero)

3 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

I have signed up to participate in the vaccine trials, would sign up to do this at a Bills game as well

I know they will be trialing vaccines here at two universities, awaiting info about how to sign up!

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Not quite true:

"Stylist A" (who interacted with Stylist B during breaks where they did not wear masks) infected "Stylist B"

But other than that, Yes.  Masks work.

Again, my kid is working this summer with "3000 of her closest friends" in a 100% mask-wearing manufacturing facility

Number of employees who have keeled over from oxygen deprivation in the hot, unairconditioned plant: 0

Number of ongoing transmission events from several covid-19 -positive employees who contracted the virus outside of work: also 0

I know they will be trialing vaccines here at two universities, awaiting info about how to sign up!

Fine, 0 stylist-to-client transmissions! :thumbsup:

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Fine, 0 stylist-to-client transmissions! :thumbsup:

Heh.  I wasn't trying to pick a nit.  The point I thought worth making is that Stylist A was highly infectious as she not only transmitted the disease to Stylist B while unmasked, per the CDC Report she also transmitted it to 4 of 4 family members!  So it's not like she has a "mild infection" that couldn't be transmitted.

But with masking of both parties, despite close contact for 15-45 minutes, 0 transmission stylist to client, as you say.

Here's the CDC report:

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6928e2.htm

The masks worn by clients were 47% cloth, 46% surgical (procedure), and 5% N-95 (2% said "I don't know")

The masks worn by the stylists were also cloth or surgical.  So it does not have to be a "good" mask to work.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Heh.  I wasn't trying to pick a nit.  The point I thought worth making is that Stylist A was highly infectious as she not only transmitted the disease to Stylist B while unmasked, per the CDC Report she also transmitted it to 4 of 4 family members!  So it's not like she has a "mild infection" that couldn't be transmitted.

But with masking of both parties, despite close contact for 15-45 minutes, 0 transmission stylist to client, as you say.

Here's the CDC report:

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6928e2.htm

The masks worn by clients were 47% cloth, 46% surgical (procedure), and 5% N-95 (2% said "I don't know")

The masks worn by the stylists were also cloth or surgical.  So it does not have to be a "good" mask to work.

Interesting, one of the main ingredients in hair spray "polyvinylpyrrolidone" has a negative charge like polypropylene which repels the virus.

Lol, hey man, I'm just saying...

I realize its allergy season, but to feel sick enough to get tested yet continue working until test results come back would remind me of why its better to stay clear of hair salons. (hair stylist or customer) Myself personally, its very possible hair stylist A got the virus while working in my humble opinion.

Edited by Figster

42 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I guess it's better than the German experiments from 80 or so years ago.

That's a little ray of sunshine, you're definitely a glass half full kind of guy.

Otherwise, glad they're trying to collect some real transmission data, hopefully we will learn something. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Figster said:

Myself personally, its very possible hair stylist A got the virus while working in my humble opinion.

The county DOH said she had contracted the virus while traveling outside the state.  I assume information she provided them would support that timeline.

I don't think much hairspray gets used at Great Clips.  If you've ever been to one it's pretty much snip snip snip clipper clipper comb NEXT!

• Like (+1) 1