NFL is getting ready for football - waivers started

Steelers waive tight end before reporting to camp

https://sports.yahoo.com/steelers-waive-tight-end-reporting-200808496.html

With teams about to report to training camp and sign a bunch of draft picks, some other players who haven’t had an offseason are about to become unemployed.

The Steelers announced they have waived tight end Christian Scotland-Williamson.

The former English rugby player has been with them the last two seasons as part of the league’s international program, spending the year on the practice squad.

Per the latest proposal teams would have to be at 80 players to start camp. The Bills currently have a roster comprised of 87 players. I would expect some cut downs to happen soon, any guesses on who? Initial thought is any undrafted guy outside of Trey Adams and Reggie Gilliam have to be in trouble.

Also, I am not someone that thinks Wade is going to stick and make the 53, but per the international rules, he still has a 1 year roster exemption, curious if this counts towards the 80?

Edited by ytownblofan
  • Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, ytownblofan said:

Per the latest proposal teams would have to be at 80 players to start camp. The Bills currently have a roster comprised of 87 players. I would expect some cut downs to happen soon, any guesses on who? Initial thought is any undrafted guy outside of Trey Adams and Reggie Gilliam have to be in trouble.

Also, I am not someone that thinks Wade is going to stick and make the 53, but per the international rules, he still has a 1 year roster exemption, curious if this counts towards the 80?

Good question. Let’s ask Maddie Glab. Good one for the Glab Bag. 

did I just say that 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ytownblofan said:

I missed the 80 players thing.  That sucks even more than no pre-season for the low round/undrafted gems. 

And yeah, and UDFA outside of those guys are likely candidates.  Can't see Wade (yet) though.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Doc said:

I missed the 80 players thing.  That sucks even more than no pre-season for the low round/undrafted gems. 

And yeah, and UDFA outside of those guys are likely candidates.  Can't see Wade (yet) though.

Definitely more disappointing when you have an organization as good as we see at OBD currently. There have been many years when the Bills couldn’t attract top quality UDFA’s. The past few years it has seemed like they have really grabbed some good prospects post-draft, e.g. the aforementioned Gilliam and Adams. Here’s hoping we see strong showings from all 80 that do arrive into camp.

I find it very odd - reduced number of players, not much time for practicing and late "opt out" date.  

With that combination I expect at least one team will have a bunch of players unhappy with team to "opt out" of season with few replacements available.  Some place like New York or Houston maybe.

33 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I find it very odd - reduced number of players, not much time for practicing and late "opt out" date.  

With that combination I expect at least one team will have a bunch of players unhappy with team to "opt out" of season with few replacements available.  Some place like New York or Houston maybe.

Not many players are financially secure enough to opt out.  At best it will be a handful of them.  But likely 1 or none per team.

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Not many players are financially secure enough to opt out.  At best it will be a handful of them.  But likely 1 or none per team.

If players are not financially secure enough to opt out all this not reporting to camp is just bull probably encouraged by NFLPA.

Just now, Limeaid said:

If players are not financially secure enough to opt out all this not reporting to camp is just bull probably encouraged by NFLPA.

Yup.  They're trying to get the NFL to agree to more stuff.

Just now, Doc said:

Yup.  They're trying to get the NFL to agree to more stuff.

If NFL was as confident as you they should just say no on anything they do not want to do and fine anyone not coming to camp but teams now rarely will do that except for malcontents they want to get rid of.

4 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

If NFL was as confident as you they should just say no on anything they do not want to do and fine anyone not coming to camp but teams now rarely will do that except for malcontents they want to get rid of.

They want the stars to play so they won't get extreme...for now.  If things drag-on...

Edited by Doc

The lack of preseason sucks for guys like Wade and UDFA as well as late rounders.  This likely means Bass for example has no shot to prove himself in game conditions, so he will end up a wasted pick.  This does make the Diggs trade look better, assuming of course he doesn’t opt out.  

It’s a sad state when these guys have literally less risk than a life ending accident, driving to the grocery store, of contracting the virus and even less of real consequences, but are they are “worried” about the season.  This is some media spread paranoia and union bull#### all wrapped into one.   Then again, maybe all those concussions really have started to take a toll...

6 hours ago, DCofNC said:

The lack of preseason sucks for guys like Wade and UDFA as well as late rounders.  This likely means Bass for example has no shot to prove himself in game conditions, so he will end up a wasted pick.  This does make the Diggs trade look better, assuming of course he doesn’t opt out.  

It’s a sad state when these guys have literally less risk than a life ending accident, driving to the grocery store, of contracting the virus and even less of real consequences, but are they are “worried” about the season.  This is some media spread paranoia and union bull#### all wrapped into one.   Then again, maybe all those concussions really have started to take a toll...

IF everyone on the team -- players, coaches, trainers, etc -- follows the protocols, these guys still have a better chance to catch covid than a life ending accident driving to the store.  If several people don't follow the protocols, the risk goes up a lot.  For these young, very healthy men the risk of dying is low, but they could still catch it and transmit it.

38 minutes ago, Utah John said:

IF everyone on the team -- players, coaches, trainers, etc -- follows the protocols, these guys still have a better chance to catch covid than a life ending accident driving to the store.  If several people don't follow the protocols, the risk goes up a lot.  For these young, very healthy men the risk of dying is low, but they could still catch it and transmit it.

Oh c'mon, what are you saying? That car accidents aren't transmissible?!? Just the other day I heard about a guy who went to a bar who had been in a car accident and within a week, over 60 people who had been in that bar that same night were involved in car accidents. Coincidence? 

Shouldn't this be the one year where the NFL lets every team keep all 80 of their players? Without preseason games, how are they gonna properly evaluate the 3rd and 4th string guys fighting it out usually for only a couple of roster spots? Plus, this year might make the most sense to have everyone active on game day

Edited by Buffalo03

28 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Shouldn't this be the one year where the NFL lets every team keep all 80 of their players? Without preseason games, how are they gonna properly evaluate the 3rd and 4th string guys fighting it out usually for only a couple of roster spots? Plus, this year might make the most sense to have everyone active on game day

So you expect owners to pay the salaries of 25 more guys while they’re losing most if not all fan revenue?  Not happening, young grasshopper.

• Like (+1) 3

11 hours ago, DCofNC said:

No need for Bass to be a wasted pick.  Put him on the PS.  Same for Wade.

Edited by Doc

5 hours ago, eball said:

So you expect owners to pay the salaries of 25 more guys while they’re losing most if not all fan revenue?  Not happening, young grasshopper.

Well considering those players would be making less for one season than some of the average americans make in this country for one year, I don't think it would be a big issue. They can adjust a guys salary by game or by season if he needs to play. But paying guys 50,000 to 100,000, possibly even less can't really be that bad for them

Edited by Buffalo03