Jump to content
Greg S

NFL will allow social justice decals on helmets

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Bangarang said:


I saw that and was hoping to find it in the article but didn’t so I’m not sure what to believe.

 

This article states it in the text, though it's kind of in passing

 

https://sportsnaut.com/2020/07/report-nfl-players-to-wear-helmet-decals-honoring-victims-of-police-brutality/

 

While the move hasn’t been finalized, the league is working with the NFL Players Association on an agreed list of names for players to use before the regular season begins. Players will provide the list of names with approval from the league office.

Players will not be required to wear decals, per NFL Network’s Steve Wyche. However, they will receive the choice of paying their respects to victims of violence or police officers who lost their lives in the line of duty.

 

It looks as though they get to pick only one name though.

 

Is it just me, or is that kind of a bull#### way of wording it?  "victims of violence or police officers who lost their lives in the line of duty" - aren't those officers victims of violence also?  Thinking about it, they could have been injured in an explosion or fire or while saving someone's life so maybe that's what they're trying to account for

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems problematic for many reasons, not the least of which being the description of police brutality.... 

 

Is this going to be vetted at all to cut out ambiguous cases that the media and others push as police brutality, but aren’t?

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After looking at the article closer I see that the nfl is making a list with players and right away we’re stuck in the issue of what is police brutality. 
 

Breaonna Taylor was shot because she was in a house from which officers were taking fire. 
 

Michael brown, which is brutality on narrative alone, and not substance and evidence. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Is it just me, or is that kind of a bull#### way of wording it?  "victims of violence or police officers who lost their lives in the line of duty" - aren't those officers victims of violence also?  Thinking about it, they could have been injured in an explosion or fire or while saving someone's life so maybe that's what they're trying to account for

 

I am sure a laywer worded it and I am surprised it is not in fine print with cavets and such.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MJS said:

/Doesn't it say you can wear a decal for fallen officers too?

just the title. I believe that is a typo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh and nothing for the people hurt and businesses destroyed by rioters.

 

Do we need SLM?  "Shopkeepers Lives Matter".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

This article states it in the text, though it's kind of in passing

 

https://sportsnaut.com/2020/07/report-nfl-players-to-wear-helmet-decals-honoring-victims-of-police-brutality/

 

While the move hasn’t been finalized, the league is working with the NFL Players Association on an agreed list of names for players to use before the regular season begins. Players will provide the list of names with approval from the league office.

Players will not be required to wear decals, per NFL Network’s Steve Wyche. However, they will receive the choice of paying their respects to victims of violence or police officers who lost their lives in the line of duty.

 

It looks as though they get to pick only one name though.

 

Is it just me, or is that kind of a bull#### way of wording it?  "victims of violence or police officers who lost their lives in the line of duty" - aren't those officers victims of violence also?  Thinking about it, they could have been injured in an explosion or fire or while saving someone's life so maybe that's what they're trying to account for

yet they wouldnt let players honor 9/11 victims. I realize this is a 'NOW' thing but they need to be careful with the inconsistencies. That said, I dont really have an issue with it in theory. like that they have an option to do it or not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Beast said:

 

Or the five Dallas officers that were murdered that the NFL wouldn't allow the Cowboys to wear a decal in honor of.

This!  Just keep bending over, and see where this league is going down the road.  👎

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MJS said:

That's a way to get head hunted on the field.

 

Pretty much.

 

So I think we can agree that intimidation will

play a huge part of this campaign.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Oh and nothing for the people hurt and businesses destroyed by rioters.

 

Do we need SLM?  "Shopkeepers Lives Matter".


What about that retired officer who was shot trying to stop looters and rioters?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, whatdrought said:


What about that retired officer who was shot trying to stop looters and rioters?

 

Technically he is a civilian and would not qualify I guess.  

 

That is why they have laywers other than they have written laws so they are necessary.

 

Nobody will want stickers with LLM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

Decals? Pah! If they really cared they'd get it tattooed on themselves

 

Some of them probably have.  Whole lotta ink on those guys

 

40 minutes ago, fansince88 said:

just the title. I believe that is a typo. 

 

See upthread, I found another article which said stickers could honor fallen officers

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Do these decals need to be officially sponsored by Nike or whoever it is that make them wear certain things for games? 

Edited by The Wiz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

Breaonna Taylor was shot because she was in a house from which officers were taking fire.

 

C'mon drought, there's a lot of stuff back and forth and I don't want to derail this, but describing what's known about those events as "in a house from which officers were taking fire" is pretty far "out there"

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/2020/05/12/breonna-taylor-louisville-emt-not-main-target-drug-investigation/3115928001/

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

C'mon drought, there's a lot of stuff back and forth and I don't want to derail this, but describing what's known about those events as "in a house from which officers were taking fire" is pretty far "out there"

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/2020/05/12/breonna-taylor-louisville-emt-not-main-target-drug-investigation/3115928001/

 

 


Actually, no it’s not but I know better than to argue with you so this is all I will say about it.

Edited by Beast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blm passes to blue lives matter who gets a block from free Hong Kong who stiff arms pro life and is tackled by pro choice!

 

Is this where we’re going?  Do we need this stuff to enter into every part of our lives?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Blm passes to blue lives matter who gets a block from free Hong Kong who stiff arms pro life and is tackled by pro choice!

 

Is this where we’re going?  Do we need this stuff to enter into every part of our lives?

 

Depends on how much each cause will pay in advertising rights.  It is a business not a free board.

 

And NFL usually does not let competing brands advertise so usually highest bidder wins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

C'mon drought, there's a lot of stuff back and forth and I don't want to derail this, but describing what's known about those events as "in a house from which officers were taking fire" is pretty far "out there"

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/2020/05/12/breonna-taylor-louisville-emt-not-main-target-drug-investigation/3115928001/

 

 


 

Let me clarify, as I’m not attempting to burry the lead: 

 

I think the circumstances that lead to the officers entering the house in the middle of the night are problematic- I also think no-knock warrants are problematic. Whether or not they identified themselves, I can understand the boyfriend shooting at them (assuming he genuinely didn’t know they were cops). If someone kicked in my door in the middle of the night you can bet I would. 
 

That being said, it’s a hard sale for me to believe that officers returning fire are committing an act of police brutality. It’s definitely hard to argue that it was a racially motivated situation. The events that led to the interaction were (as far as I have seen) legal, meaning you have officers doing their duty and being shot at. Obviously that results in returning fire. I don’t think there’s a solid argument that Taylor is killed If the boyfriend doesn’t shoot first.
 

 

As an aside, I question why Taylor is on the list but not someone like Duncan Lemp? 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/14/duncan-socrates-lemp-maryland-shot-police-officer
 

 

Do the NFL only care about black people killed by police? 


 

 

Not to get into whataboutism, just pointing to some of the issues with the whole idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t know why they put qualifiers on this at all. Why not let people just put a decal for the cause/issue of their choice and call it a day?

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Blm passes to blue lives matter who gets a block from free Hong Kong who stiff arms pro life and is tackled by pro choice!

 

Is this where we’re going?  Do we need this stuff to enter into every part of our lives?


Based on the NBA precedent it’s more likely to be “support China” as opposed to free Hong Kong.

  • Like (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...