NFL will allow social justice decals on helmets

Greg S

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I do.

Then I don't have to tell you what the NFL is allowing their players wear on their helmets.

No different than what Manning and Witten wanted to do.

But what the players are supporting now as compared to Witten and Manning is VERY VERY divisive and the NFL could take a major hit here.

Edited by njbuff

Just now, GoBills808 said:

It's a very unfortunate turn of phrase that chooses the pejorative to describe what is at its center a civil rights movement.

"Protect the Shield" was the NFL's slogan they drill into every rookie's head since the 2000s. They applied it to every political/social movement players ever brought up. It meant they weren't going to take a side because protecting their bottom line was more important than making political statements. Even righteous ones. See above with the mention of Witten wanting to honor the fallen police officers or how the league treated Kap. The politics / righteousness didn't matter, it just wasn't allowed. They didn't take sides to "Protect the shield" and their wallets. 

Pointing out that it took fear of the mob to get them to change their tune isn't a pejorative.

It's factual. 

Just now, njbuff said:

Then I don't have to tell you what the NFL is allowing their players wear on their helmets.

No different than what Manning and Witten wanted to do.

But what the players are supporting now as compared to Witten and Manning is VERY VERY divisive and the NFL could take a major hit here.

I don't know which I care less about- those for whom the names or initials of folk killed by police being on NFL helmets is a trigger, the NFL coffers, or Jason Witten and Payton Manning. 

1 minute ago, Deranged Rhino said:

"Protect the Shield" was the NFL's slogan they drill into every rookie's head since the 2000s. They applied it to every political/social movement players ever brought up. It meant they weren't going to take a side because protecting their bottom line was more important than making political statements. Even righteous ones. See above with the mention of Witten wanting to honor the fallen police officers or how the league treated Kap. The politics / righteousness didn't matter, it just wasn't allowed. They didn't take sides to "Protect the shield" and their wallets. 

Pointing out that it took fear of the mob to get them to change their tune isn't a pejorative.

It's factual. 

I meant 'the mob' as opposed to 'public sentiment' or 'popular opinion'.

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

I don't know which I care less about- those for whom the names or initials of folk killed by police being on NFL helmets is a trigger, the NFL coffers, or Jason Witten and Payton Manning. 

In the end you are right, but all this crap is still VERY divisive no matter if we agree or not.

5 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I meant 'the mob' as opposed to 'public sentiment' or 'popular opinion'.

Bottom line is that over half this nation doesn't give a flying bleep about politics and they want NONE of it infested into their sports whatsoever.

This is just a fact of life.

2 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Bottom line is that over half this nation doesn't give a flying bleep about politics and they want NONE of it infested into their sports whatsoever.

I would counter your theory (Not a fact) with another - a small percentage of the nation can't stand when politics enter the realm of sports and that small percentage of people complain loudest when it happens.

3 minutes ago, njbuff said:

And below that bottom line is another line upon which a league comprised primarily of black men has unsurprisingly decided to accommodate issues that resonate with a majority of its player pool. 

On 7/25/2020 at 2:47 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I guess where I am, is how do you separate "policy" from "police"?  They seem very intertwined to me.  Yes, there's a policy to issue the no-knock warrants, but it's also "on" the police officer to seek one.  The warrant structure is not being imposed upon the police as a policy decision from above; it's the police who promoted creation of "no knock" warrants.

As I understand it in the Breonna Taylor case, from the reporting, the actual drug offender was an ex-boyfriend of hers who was already in custody.

The belief was that the ex-boyfriend might have received packages of drugs shipped to her address, but a postal inspection had not found evidence of that.

So no, there was no "bad dude" at that address, it was simply a search for illegal drugs based on her having an ex-boyfriend who was trouble.

And it was the police officer(s) in that case who sought the warrant, knowing that the ex-boyfriend drug dealer was already in custody and that no one in that apartment was expected of being a "drug lord" or even an actual drug dealer, and there wasn't even evidence from postal office surveillance supporting her role as a mule, just their suspicion.

My guess would be that the warrant served for Taylor’s premise had more to do with finding and collecting drugs and drug related items, not an attempt to find the specific guy.

this is pulled from the courier journal article you linked on page two:

Records obtained by The Courier Journal show the search warrant, signed by a judge a day before Taylor's death, includes Taylor's address based on police's belief that one of the main narcotics investigation suspects, Jamarcus Glover, used her home to receive mail, keep drugs or stash money earned from the sale of drugs.”

Also from the article, it looks like bad actor boyfriend was arrested at midnight or so and Taylor’s house was hit at 2am. That plus the line above about the warrant being signed the day before means he wasn’t in custody before they obtained the warrant, as you said. 

As for the no-knock warrant, there is some level of sense to it in that (as the officer rationalized) an attempt to find evidence is hindered by having to wait while someone destroys evidence. Also, the conversation about whether or not they did knock is a big part of this- he said she said situation, so we’ll see.

Also, from either your article or one posted by someone else in thread, it was determined that the post office inspector or whatever said he didn’t have reason to believe it was illegal items in the shipments, but we don’t know the full extent of what that investigation looked like. Furthermore, the cops supposedly have proof that he went from picking up a package at her place straight to a drug stash house. So whether or not she was privy to it, she was aiding  a drug dealer in some way. - obviously she didn’t deserve to die for that, but to take what is known about this situation and have one of the biggest companies in the country affirm the fact that her death was the result of police brutality feels like a jump to me.

Not sure if you’ll respond to this or not cause you’ve ignored all my other posts on here after originally calling me out. But there’s my take on the deal! :)

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

It's factual. 

It took them realizing how wrong they were. Some people are capable of that - others, not so much

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

I would counter your theory (Not a fact) with another - a small percentage of the nation can't stand when politics enter the realm of sports and that small percentage of people complain loudest when it happens.

Can't argue this either.

43 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

And below that bottom line is another line upon which a league comprised primarily of black men has unsurprisingly decided to accommodate issues that resonate with a majority of its player pool. 

This what a lot of folks have a problem with.

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

If folks don’t like the league aligning itself with the players then they shouldn’t watch football.

Its going to be interesting how it all plays out.  The owners are aligning themselves with the vast majority of their employees, but against what may turn out to be a large percentage of their customers. 

• Like (+1) 1