NFL will allow social justice decals on helmets

Greg S

8 hours ago, Limeaid said:

If you wear it in PPP only.

The NFL is unlikely to allow political stickers and if they did you would probably be unhappy/whining/pissing pants if they did.

blm probably could be characterized by many as a political organization at this point,.  NFL needs to be careful with all of this.  Might need to throw out the uniform rules pretty soon.  commercial advertising on game masquerading as personal statements won't be  too far behind... yikes what a season this will be.  maybe they should cancel it

Edited by ProcessTruster

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Some of them probably have.  Whole lotta ink on those guys

See upthread, I found another article which said stickers could honor fallen officers

Saw that after my reply. Thanks.

14 hours ago, RiotAct said:

is “Keep America Great 2020” an option?

Or how about the police officers who lost their lives in the line of duty ? Blue lives matter an option? 

4 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

blm probably could be characterized by many as a political organization at this point,.  NFL needs to be careful with all of this.  Might need to throw out the uniform rules pretty soon.  commercial advertising on game masquerading as personal statements won't be  too far behind... yikes what a season this will be.  maybe they should cancel it

BLM is indeed a political organization! There’s no question about it. Look it up. Another huge misstep by Roger Goodell. He’s clueless.

9 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

BLM is indeed a political organization! There’s no question about it. Look it up. Another huge misstep by Roger Goodell. He’s clueless.

I am not sure Black Lives Matter is a political organization. I do think everyone should read the mission statement and then do a little research on statements made, such as the promotion of homes with no fathers. Research the founders and what their background is. Then decide if you personally agree with the mission and founders. 

I personally don’t see an issue with putting decals on helmets. Let the players have their say. It won’t change how I feel about them as a player. I don’t have to agree with a player's every single belief to still respect them. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, whatdrought said:

After looking at the article closer I see that the nfl is making a list with players and right away we’re stuck in the issue of what is police brutality. 

Breaonna Taylor was shot because she was in a house from which officers were taking fire. 

Michael brown, which is brutality on narrative alone, and not substance and evidence. 

Amen, and here’s a thought, if you don’t want to be shot by a police officer you could start with not robbing a store and then being confrontational and resist arrest when police officers arrive on the scene and then charge at them. Is there something wrong with me that I’d like to think I would never rob a store but that if I did and officers came to arrest me I’d be fully compliant and not trying fighting and charging them. 

We all know there are some bad apple cops out there and often they are protected by bad union contracts that enable them to stay on the force long after they should have been removed. But there are many more good officers out there and it is like this in every field. Since this is an NFL discussion, lets stay with that analogy. Players hate it when 1 or 2 of there teammates on a 53 man roster get arrested or do something stupid. But that does not mean all players should be lumped in with the few bad apples on there teams as most players are good people and do a lot of good in there communities. There are thousands upon thousands of police interactions each day and the vast majority of them end peacefully, especially if the person in question is compliant. Only when people start resisting arrest is when the odds of being shot begin to go up significantly. 

Think about it from the officers perspective at this point. Many more officers are unjustifiably losing there lives right now but you would not know it from the media as they continue to max cover certain deaths that fit a narrative and create division in order to increase viewership (similar to “hot takes” that has taken over). Officers know the dangers because they live and see it everyday. Every time they do even a traffic stop they don’t know what is going to happen as there is an unprecedented amount of people out there who have a hatred for the police and are looking to harm or disrupt them in some way. Officers have to be on edge right now and for good reason. 

I’ll leave on this note, I’m beginning to think that the country needs to have some type of mandatory military or community service requirement. This would serve a few purposes (1) the youth could use some sort of understanding of discipline, respect, teamwork, and service that appears to be lacking amongst a higher than normal amount of their generation and (2) it would be a good way to create a common bond amongst all citizens having gone through the service requirement together spending time and developing friendships with all different peoples from all different backgrounds thus forcing more people to break out of their bubbles. 

8 hours ago, eball said:

Umm, you’re wrong. If you want to get away from the real world go to Disneyland. The NFL will be just fine. 

Maybe it will. Or maybe it will take a hit from people who don't wanna see politics blended in with the game.

But for you to act as if you know and outright dismiss him is simply ignorant on your part.

If you don't wanna discuss things on a board designed to do just that, then maybe you should take your own advice and move on. The board will be just fine.

8 hours ago, eball said:

Umm, you’re wrong. If you want to get away from the real world go to Disneyland. The NFL will be just fine. 

I'm not sure about the NFL being fine long term, but I do agree that helmet stickers will not have any major impact on viewership. 

For all the discussion on Kaepernick and the name of the team in Washington, the moral indication and so on...how many people stopped watching?  Probably a few who support law enforcement on one side, maybe a few woke folk on the other, but mostly it was the same as it ever was. 

I think the league read the tea leaves, listened to their employees and figured the smart money was on relaxing the dress code. If that's the plan, so be it.

Personally, I'm no more/less interested in social messaging from players, announcers or owners than I am from the guy down the street.  If it gets too heavy, you are absolutely correct...turn it off, or fast forward through the blather. 

Social justice and equal rights makes me so ? ? ?!!!  

I’m fine with domestic violence and players threatening to shoot up funeral homes.  But silent protests and equal rights?  That’s where I draw the line.  

rather than just stop watching and not tell anyone, let me let everyone on this board know I am done watching these garbage nfl (this might change if the Bills are good though).  

im the opposite of woke.  I’m ?.  Bring back when America was great in the 1950s.  Never saw Johnny Unitas celebrate like that showboater Cam Newton!

9 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Based on the NBA precedent it’s more likely to be “support China” as opposed to free Hong Kong.

Do you attack the Trump family, Apple, and hundreds more examples for supporting China??? Or is the nba the new talking point to distract others from the issues going on in our country?

22 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I’m fine with domestic violence and players threatening to shoot up funeral homes.  But silent protests and equal rights?  That’s where I draw the line.  

rather than just stop watching and not tell anyone, let me let everyone on this board know I am done watching these garbage nfl (this might change if the Bills are good though).  

im the opposite of woke.  I’m ?.  Bring back when America was great in the 1950s.  Never saw Johnny Unitas celebrate like that showboater Cam Newton!

Do you attack the Trump family, Apple, and hundreds more examples for supporting China??? Or is the nba the new talking point to distract others from the issues going on in our country?

Hyperbole much? 

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I would assume that's what "or fallen police officers on their helmets means" - it is now allowed

?‍♂️

this neighborhood we got "Thank you, Officers" and "Black Lives Matter" signs - sometimes on the same lawns.

But but but, that's taking away from the real issues!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How dare they:cry:

12 hours ago, whatdrought said:

After looking at the article closer I see that the nfl is making a list with players and right away we’re stuck in the issue of what is police brutality. 

Breaonna Taylor was shot because she was in a house from which officers were taking fire

Michael brown, which is brutality on narrative alone, and not substance and evidence. 

People that didn't identify as officers broke down her door and entered her apt in the middle of the night. Her BF was defending her and himself, just like good 2nd amendment people say is their right. Stand your ground, Right?  American's have a right to defend themselves in their own home.

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

16 years on this board now and you still have not learned the subtleties of effective sarcasm. :(

10 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Let me clarify, as I’m not attempting to burry the lead: 

I think the circumstances that lead to the officers entering the house in the middle of the night are problematic- I also think no-knock warrants are problematic. Whether or not they identified themselves, I can understand the boyfriend shooting at them (assuming he genuinely didn’t know they were cops). If someone kicked in my door in the middle of the night you can bet I would. 

That being said, it’s a hard sale for me to believe that officers returning fire are committing an act of police brutality. It’s definitely hard to argue that it was a racially motivated situation. The events that led to the interaction were (as far as I have seen) legal, meaning you have officers doing their duty and being shot at. Obviously that results in returning fire. I don’t think there’s a solid argument that Taylor is killed If the boyfriend doesn’t shoot first.

As an aside, I question why Taylor is on the list but not someone like Duncan Lemp? 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/14/duncan-socrates-lemp-maryland-shot-police-officer

Do the NFL only care about black people killed by police? 

Not to get into whataboutism, just pointing to some of the issues with the whole idea.

Likely true, but boyfriend doesn't shoot if people don't break into the home in the middle of the night.  That's what started it all.

17 hours ago, LeviF91 said:

Yahoo forgot to edit the URL when they edited the story.  Interesting what they left out.

18 hours ago, Greg S said:

17 hours ago, Beast said:

Or the five Dallas officers that were murdered that the NFL wouldn't allow the Cowboys to wear a decal in honor of.

17 hours ago, MJS said:

Doesn't it say you can wear a decal for fallen officers too?

No...as Levi stated the URL link says so, which I would find amazingly progressive of the NFL to do, but the actual article makes no reference whatsoever of being able to put fallen officer decals on the side of the helmet. 

10 hours ago, eball said:

I was at Disney with my family on March 14th, the day before last day everything was open...normally.  

It is "open" now, technically.

Believe me eball, you ARE NOT getting away from the real world if you go to Disney.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Likely true, but boyfriend doesn't shoot if people don't break into the home in the middle of the night.  That's what started it all.

I completely agree. The issue with this situation is the policy that allowed it to happen that way. I get the outrage and I’m there with you on that end, but to say it’s police brutality is burying the lead, I think. 

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Lol. I’m happy to criticize anyone who is pro-communist bull####.

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

People that didn't identify as officers broke down her door and entered her apt in the middle of the night. Her BF was defending her and himself, just like good 2nd amendment people say is their right. Stand your ground, Right?  American's have a right to defend themselves in their own home.

A no knock warrant the primary target of which was already in police custody.  As I understand it, no knock warrants are highly unusual for what were believed to be low level drug dealers by the Louisville police.  But apparently they needed a no knock warrant to prevent Taylor from destroying drug evidence or records relating to drug sales.  Kinda makes you wonder how they got those warrants especially since the post office concluded the packages the primary suspect had received at Breonna Taylor's home were not suspicious. 

They didn't find anything in her home so all is well that ends well.  

https://www.whas11.com/article/news/local/breonna-taylor-lawyers-police-lied-about-search-time-and-arrest-of-main-suspect-in-narcotics-investigation/417-3f4fa77a-c1c8-44fa-ab57-be187dc750c4

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/06/30/fact-check-police-had-no-knock-warrant-breonna-taylor-apartment/3235029001/