NFL will allow social justice decals on helmets

Greg S

After looking at the article closer I see that the nfl is making a list with players and right away we’re stuck in the issue of what is police brutality. 

Breaonna Taylor was shot because she was in a house from which officers were taking fire. 

Michael brown, which is brutality on narrative alone, and not substance and evidence. 

44 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Is it just me, or is that kind of a bull#### way of wording it?  "victims of violence or police officers who lost their lives in the line of duty" - aren't those officers victims of violence also?  Thinking about it, they could have been injured in an explosion or fire or while saving someone's life so maybe that's what they're trying to account for

I am sure a laywer worded it and I am surprised it is not in fine print with cavets and such.

47 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This article states it in the text, though it's kind of in passing

https://sportsnaut.com/2020/07/report-nfl-players-to-wear-helmet-decals-honoring-victims-of-police-brutality/

While the move hasn’t been finalized, the league is working with the NFL Players Association on an agreed list of names for players to use before the regular season begins. Players will provide the list of names with approval from the league office.

Players will not be required to wear decals, per NFL Network’s Steve Wyche. However, they will receive the choice of paying their respects to victims of violence or police officers who lost their lives in the line of duty.

It looks as though they get to pick only one name though.

Is it just me, or is that kind of a bull#### way of wording it?  "victims of violence or police officers who lost their lives in the line of duty" - aren't those officers victims of violence also?  Thinking about it, they could have been injured in an explosion or fire or while saving someone's life so maybe that's what they're trying to account for

yet they wouldnt let players honor 9/11 victims. I realize this is a 'NOW' thing but they need to be careful with the inconsistencies. That said, I dont really have an issue with it in theory. like that they have an option to do it or not. 

Just now, whatdrought said:

What about that retired officer who was shot trying to stop looters and rioters?

Technically he is a civilian and would not qualify I guess.  

That is why they have laywers other than they have written laws so they are necessary.

Nobody will want stickers with LLM.

3 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

Decals? Pah! If they really cared they'd get it tattooed on themselves

Some of them probably have.  Whole lotta ink on those guys

40 minutes ago, fansince88 said:

just the title. I believe that is a typo. 

See upthread, I found another article which said stickers could honor fallen officers

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

Breaonna Taylor was shot because she was in a house from which officers were taking fire.

C'mon drought, there's a lot of stuff back and forth and I don't want to derail this, but describing what's known about those events as "in a house from which officers were taking fire" is pretty far "out there"

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/2020/05/12/breonna-taylor-louisville-emt-not-main-target-drug-investigation/3115928001/

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

C'mon drought, there's a lot of stuff back and forth and I don't want to derail this, but describing what's known about those events as "in a house from which officers were taking fire" is pretty far "out there"

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/2020/05/12/breonna-taylor-louisville-emt-not-main-target-drug-investigation/3115928001/

Actually, no it’s not but I know better than to argue with you so this is all I will say about it.

Edited by Beast

48 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Blm passes to blue lives matter who gets a block from free Hong Kong who stiff arms pro life and is tackled by pro choice!

Is this where we’re going?  Do we need this stuff to enter into every part of our lives?

Depends on how much each cause will pay in advertising rights.  It is a business not a free board.

And NFL usually does not let competing brands advertise so usually highest bidder wins.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Let me clarify, as I’m not attempting to burry the lead: 

I think the circumstances that lead to the officers entering the house in the middle of the night are problematic- I also think no-knock warrants are problematic. Whether or not they identified themselves, I can understand the boyfriend shooting at them (assuming he genuinely didn’t know they were cops). If someone kicked in my door in the middle of the night you can bet I would. 

That being said, it’s a hard sale for me to believe that officers returning fire are committing an act of police brutality. It’s definitely hard to argue that it was a racially motivated situation. The events that led to the interaction were (as far as I have seen) legal, meaning you have officers doing their duty and being shot at. Obviously that results in returning fire. I don’t think there’s a solid argument that Taylor is killed If the boyfriend doesn’t shoot first.

As an aside, I question why Taylor is on the list but not someone like Duncan Lemp? 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/14/duncan-socrates-lemp-maryland-shot-police-officer

Do the NFL only care about black people killed by police? 

Not to get into whataboutism, just pointing to some of the issues with the whole idea.

58 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Blm passes to blue lives matter who gets a block from free Hong Kong who stiff arms pro life and is tackled by pro choice!

Is this where we’re going?  Do we need this stuff to enter into every part of our lives?

Based on the NBA precedent it’s more likely to be “support China” as opposed to free Hong Kong.

• Like (+1) 4

3 hours ago, HamSandwhich said:

Enough people will start to do that if this continues and it will affect the bottom line.  The virtue signaling will be over and the NFL will return to it's bread and butter as it should.  Politics should not be mixed with sports.  As many have said, it's a way to get away from the real world, nothing that you and your ilk say about "changing the channel" or any other write off, will change that.  Keep doing this NFL, it will not end well.  

Umm, you’re wrong. If you want to get away from the real world go to Disneyland. The NFL will be just fine. 

• Like (+1) 1