Pegulas to buy energy business

BillsMafi$

11 hours ago, Lurker said:

So why are those pipeline and storage assets assets undervalued to the point that he's "buying low?"    

Buffett's not risk immune here.   Those infrastructure assets can and do go up and down in value, just like the actual commodity prices, driven by whether people want to own them or not.   Right now, the hot money doesn't want them.   Buffett's simply willing to take a longer investment horizon than most, which usually works to his favor (except in the case of airlines.  Doh!!)...    

No matter the going price of gas, it has to make it to market.  He now owns nearly 20% of that route.  He will charge for use of those routes whether the producer is selling downstream for $3 (a high) or $1 (a low).

If NG price had plummeted simply as a function of the pandemic, this would be a more obvious play.  But that’s not the case.

20 hours ago, TBBills said:

He gonna resell and make bank in 10 years when the economy gets better.

Yup: buy low / sell high. This is what wise investors do. When the street value of a business is low, but they have good potential, that's when the smart investors swoop in. Good on Pegs for playing this the right way.

Reading through this article, I noticed an interesting tidbit:

"Those sales provided Pegula with the cash he then used to buy the Sabres and the Bills and build the HarborCenter hotel and ice rink complex next to KeyBank Center, among other ventures that also include a country music recording studio."

So T&K are Country Music fans? That's cool. Love me some George Jones. I figure, as Bills fans, we can all commiserate with drinking tons of whiskey to drown our sorrows, stemming from repeated heartbreaks, ha ha!

Edited by ROCBillsBeliever
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

The Amerks were doing very well.  So Pegula fired the Coach and GM.

yep, they were a surefire development pipeline last 3 years, man , how will the Sabres ever survive without that  steady pipeline of NHL ready players from the A they have grown accustomed to last 3 years

The Amerks were.... OK.   Murray to a point, and Botterill much moreso were big AHL guys.  The Amerks' performance was driven by a lot of players who wont see more than a desperate callup to the NHL a few times in their lives.  They have been lacking in prospect contributors as the last 2 Sabres GMs have been horrific at asset management, drafting, and developing players. 

Rochester has had a few good regular seasons, but failed to win a playoff... game.  

14 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

yep, they were a surefire development pipeline last 3 years, man , how will the Sabres ever survive without that  steady pipeline of NHL ready players from the A they have grown accustomed to last 3 years

With all those "generational" players they have drafted, Sabres  should be hoisting Cups, no?  But the Amerks had enough talent enough to be on pace to make their 3rd playoff appearance in 3 years.   Before Sexton, the Sabres GM was the Amerks GM.  How did that go for the Sabres (or the Amerks)?

What was your point?  That they had to fire the Coach and GM of their successful farm team?  Well argued....

4 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

East Resources Acquisition Co. Stadium.  Has a nice ring to it, no?  

Basically stays the same name, the "new" ERA co. field. Pegula playing 6D Rummikub with this one. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

The Amerks were.... OK.   Murray to a point, and Botterill much moreso were big AHL guys.  The Amerks' performance was driven by a lot of players who wont see more than a desperate callup to the NHL a few times in their lives.  They have been lacking in prospect contributors as the last 2 Sabres GMs have been horrific at asset management, drafting, and developing players. 

Rochester has had a few good regular seasons, but failed to win a playoff... game.  

Won 2 in '13-'14

7 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

This guy thinks people become billionaires through expertise, lol.

Like....Woody Johnson!

The Amerks were doing very well.  So Pegula fired the Coach and GM.

And?  How will they do in the future?  Will there even be minor league sports anytime in the near future?

11 minutes ago, Doc said:

And?  How will they do in the future?  Will there even be minor league sports anytime in the near future?

LOL...what?

There might not be minor league sports?  And this is why Pegula fired the only successful pro hockey management team he employed?

9 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

LOL...what?

There might not be minor league sports?  And this is why Pegula fired the only successful pro hockey management team he employed?

LOL...what?

Check 2011-2014.  And minor league sports are in a world of hurt.  Might be a good time to dump the team.  It likely won't go anywhere.

23 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

It's a wise move but for the current political climate.  Smart money is the government is going to push hard left next year.  I would not want to be in the energy business when that happens. 

Tell me about it I’ve been working in the oilfield for the past 5 years , moved my family to Texas from Florida , was thinking about selling my house and buying one here , now I’ll have to wait and see what happens in this election 

With all those "generational" players they have drafted, Sabres  should be hoisting Cups, no?  But the Amerks had enough talent enough to be on pace to make their 3rd playoff appearance in 3 years.   Before Sexton, the Sabres GM was the Amerks GM.  How did that go for the Sabres (or the Amerks)?

What was your point?  That they had to fire the Coach and GM of their successful farm team?  Well argued....

that they were not developing players..at all. No big loss. Wins at that level mean zero if you are doing it with players who will never help the NHL club. Drafting plays a part in that, but successful coaches can develop players as well. Chris Taylor was no huge loss. 

March Sabres fans , including me, were" blow the whole thing up, this entire organization is trash"

Sabres blow the whole thing up, same fans are 

"Pegulas blowed the whole thing up..WTF they are cheap and don't know what they are doing"

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Putin said:

Tell me about it I’ve been working in the oilfield for the past 5 years , moved my family to Texas from Florida , was thinking about selling my house and buying one here , now I’ll have to wait and see what happens in this election 

You could always cross-train in the renewable energy sector. Unless you're 50, your job will be likely gone long before you can retire.

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Haha (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

that they were not developing players..at all. No big loss. Wins at that level mean zero if you are doing it with players who will never help the NHL club. Drafting plays a part in that, but successful coaches can develop players as well. Chris Taylor was no huge loss. 

March Sabres fans , including me, were" blow the whole thing up, this entire organization is trash"

Sabres blow the whole thing up, same fans are 

"Pegulas blowed the whole thing up..WTF they are cheap and don't know what they are doing"

Same fans who thought the NHL was a joke and didn't give a ***** about the Sabres years before the Pegulas came on the scene.  But now it's evidence that they're bad owners.  :rolleyes:

Like I said, I wouldn't care if they sold everything but the Bills, if the Sabres were ensured of staying in Buffalo.  Let them focus on the most important franchise.