Pegulas to buy energy business

BillsMafi$

5 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Absolutely.  It’s a shrewd move.  Keep makin the donuts Terry.  Easiest way for us to keep the Bills and Sabres in Buffalo. Not a big hockey guy, but I know you guys are so glad the culture of these teams here continues.

The Bills culture needs to continue but the Sabres that's a different story.

Greg, I’m not an NHL guy, but enough of my family and friends are so that was my reasoning.  I do understand the issues of the Sabres and have heard the stories about employees, but not my concern.  I hope for those I care about the Sabres turn it around like the way they have done a great job in the Bills.  Yes, Wrex was a monster mistake, but they have been on point since with this entire group from Beane, McD, and al of the subordinates.

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Natural gas has been in steady decline since January 2019, when the economy was quite healthy.

True. I'm guessing he thinks the value has bottomed out and, although it probably won't ever get back to pre-pandemic levels, it's likely to rise enough for him to sell it to someone who thinks it will. In other words, buy low and sell when it's on the upswing, fooling people into thinking that it'll continue to grow. It's probably a shrewd move and if it doesn't work, he'll have a huge tax write-off as a consolation prize.

Just now, WhoTom said:

True. I'm guessing he thinks the value has bottomed out and, although it probably won't ever get back to pre-pandemic levels, it's likely to rise enough for him to sell it to someone who thinks it will. In other words, buy low and sell when it's on the upswing, fooling people into thinking that it'll continue to grow. It's probably a shrewd move and if it doesn't work, he'll have a huge tax write-off as a consolation prize.

It's a wise move but for the current political climate.  Smart money is the government is going to push hard left next year.  I would not want to be in the energy business when that happens. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

It's a wise move but for the current political climate.  Smart money is the government is going to push hard left next year.  I would not want to be in the energy business when that happens. 

It's a given that fossil fuels are going away - even the fossil fuel companies know that, which is why they're investing in renewable energy. But it won't happen overnight, largely because the Democrats aren't nearly as far left as some pundits would have you believe. When the pandemic is over, people start traveling, and businesses get back to full strength, the demand will increase and prices will go up again. In a year or two, he'll make a profit selling what he just bought.

• Like (+1) 8

5 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Perhaps investing in renewable energy (wind, solar, etc.) might be where the smart money is going, if your prediction for next year proves to be correct.  That said, politics and personal preferences aside, I would like to see the Pegulas' investments do well so that they have lots of excess cash to invest in the Bills, Sabres, and downtown Buffalo development.

4 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Who will he be fooling with this?  He wants people to give him money to buy distressed fossil fuel producers----and he is a guy who OWNS such a company!  His own gas drilling company stopped drilling months ago!  Maybe he will make the investors buy his boutique drilling company out of its current problems?

Ironically, as the article mentions, his former fracking holdings he sold to Shell were just resold for essentially pennies on the dollar.

Natural gas prices have been dropping for 5 years.  What savvy investor is going to play the energy market by dropping money on this kind of proposition?  There's far better ways to make money trading commodities--even in the energy sector.  This seems weird.

This is going to be some investors prospectus!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, WhoTom said:

It's a given that fossil fuels are going away - even the fossil fuel companies know that, which is why they're investing in renewable energy. But it won't happen overnight, largely because the Democrats aren't nearly as far left as some pundits would have you believe. When the pandemic is over, people start traveling, and businesses get back to full strength, the demand will increase and prices will go up again. In a year or two, he'll make a profit selling what he just bought.

Meh-it depends what you define "far left" as. This is, far and away, the farthest left the Democratic party has ever been. But they definitely aren't the Bolsheviks. 

That said, you are right, it won't happen overnight.  But the Pegulas are making a longer term investment, in a political climate that does not look good for natural gas. 

40 minutes ago, BillsMafi$ said:

'when all the world goes one way, I go another'

4 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Meh-it depends what you define "far left" as. This is, far and away, the farthest left the Democratic party has ever been. But they definitely aren't the Bolsheviks. 

That said, you are right, it won't happen overnight.  But the Pegulas are making a longer term investment, in a political climate that does not look good for natural gas. 

Are you freakin' kidding me?  The mainstream of the Democratic party today looks like Eisenhower Republicans.  They have their left-leaning side - AOC, Saunders - but they aren't the bulk of the party by a long shot and in Saunders case, only reluctantly part of it.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

This

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Who will he be fooling with this?  He wants people to give him money to buy distressed fossil fuel producers----and he is a guy who OWNS such a company!  His own gas drilling company stopped drilling months ago!  Maybe he will make the investors buy his boutique drilling company out of its current problems?

Ironically, as the article mentions, his former fracking holdings he sold to Shell were just resold for essentially pennies on the dollar.

Natural gas prices have been dropping for 5 years.  What savvy investor is going to play the energy market by dropping money on this kind of proposition?  There's far better ways to make money trading commodities--even in the energy sector.  This seems weird.

This is going to be some investors prospectus!

You must be a billionaire.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1