Call your shot: Will the season start on time?

Will the season kick off on TNF September 10th?  

190 members have voted

1. 1. NFL 2020 season kickoff with Texans at Chiefs 9/10

• Won’t happen ... season will be cancelled
    • Won’t happen ... season will be delayed
    • Will happen ... let the countdown to NFL football begin

1 hour ago, Kwai San said:

Yeah but Europe has a WAY better handle on all this CV19 than the US seems to not......

Yes so far we have avoided national 2nd spikes in the UK. There are some mini regional spikes but as a rule we seem to be okay for now..... I just think it is manageable and for wealthy athletes and multi billion dollar companies it should be possible to make it work.

I didn't vote as was looking for a 4th choice that states something along the lines of:

"Yes it will happen and will start on time, but will be full of bumps and detours and key players missing games, maybe even the Super Bowl and will be completed, but no one will feel like the season was very legit, except maybe the TV sponsors." 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

+10 points for quoting Jack Straw!

Well hell...  Because hey, you know it surely looks like rain.  When the owners willingly call off first two, and now all of the preseason games, you know that's more than the sound of street cats... gettin' ready for some football.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/21/2020 at 9:44 AM, YoloinOhio said:

Like what 

I mean bars are going to be closed, people aren't going to be able to watch out of local games. People are not going to have the money to spend on a luxury tv package either that locks them in to a higher second year cost either right now.

Is the potential for either a la carte or fully free streams out of the question?

Its hard for me to believe that the owners won't force some sort of a season, no matter the quality of the product on the field.   Unless they have some sort of business interruption insurance they stand to lose a ton mu-la-la if there's no season.  They'll do something, player health be damned. 

I think it's going to start, but to pretty much empty stadiums. It seems as though the NFL and NFLPA will agree to daily testing, and that is pretty critical.

As others have said, the biggest problems relate to transportation and hotels for the away team. Flights shouldn't be a problem, but I would want my kit man, or equivalent, overseeing the disinfecting of any coaches/buses used to move players around.

Hotels should be okay in that respect, but the dubious area is any contact with staff etc., i.e. people outside of the organisation.

Some teams might find it more practical for some journeys, just to take to the road full stop, which could avoid more potential contact with the public at large. Hard to know how long a journey would be deemed to be practical though.

The NFL could have got a lot more creative with scheduling, as well, by splitting up the traditional divisions, and doing things like putting the Chargers and Rams in the same division, also the Giants and Jest. Teams in those divisions then play two away games consecutively, in the same stadium.

I also think they might have been advised to have a two week mid season break, which could serve as a quarantine period. Doesn't have to be at the exact mid point, but could be put in if teams are seeing players  testing positive, with the schedule being delayed, but the delay having been sort of accounted for.

ULtimately, I think we are going to be in a wait and see mode, but what happens at TCs throughout the league, will be a good indicator of if teams (and the NFL/NFLPA) have got things worked out.

I think it will start on time.  I think you will also see Covid cases continue to rise into the fall. This will have varying impacts to travel, different state restrictions, team players getting it, etc.   Somewhere along the way a few games get cancelled / moved. I guess maybe by week 3-5. Just a hunch because no one knows at this time. I figure college will be a mess and they will start cancelling first. They will have more cases on the teams IMO. 

On 7/22/2020 at 1:55 PM, HardyBoy said:

I mean bars are going to be closed, people aren't going to be able to watch out of local games. People are not going to have the money to spend on a luxury tv package either that locks them in to a higher second year cost either right now.

Is the potential for either a la carte or fully free streams out of the question?

HB, lots of people still can afford the ticket, but you’re right, certainly less given the economy.  In addition, no bars aren’t going to be open, but if they serve food, it’s a restaurant and they can be open in many states.  It will be harder on them as occupancy is lower in limits so the ticket for an establishment.  I’ll end up at the wild wings around the corner As they are open and have had the ticket forever.  Given a national franchise, they will have the $ for it.  I hate going to restaurants for the game, but I’m one of those not wanting to pay for the ticket.  I may buckle though as I had it since 1996.

• 1 month later...

I'm pleasantly surprised the league is starting on time. I also wonder what might happen if players on a 2-6 or 0-5 team decide it's not worth the quarantine to slog through the full season. I assume their pay would be guaranteed once the season starts?

19 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I'm glad to be wrong. After the Marlins outbreak I thought for sure MLB and NFL would be a nightmare. But the players have taken this seriously and they are doing the right things to not get infected. Kudos to them. 20 to 30 year old millionaires doing the right thing. Nice job gentlemen. 

It is not just the millionaires (who can afford to pay someone to do a lot of their errands and pay for help for their families if needed) but those who work at the stadium/training facilities, the offices, the lower level staff whose lost of paychecks makes a big different.  They did not get advances or outright payments to take a year off with contracts put on suspension and applicable next year.  They also did the right thing and are ones who should get the praise.

6 minutes ago, Lothar said:

I'm pleasantly surprised the league is starting on time. I also wonder what might happen if players on a 2-6 or 0-5 team decide it's not worth the quarantine to slog through the full season. I assume their pay would be guaranteed once the season starts?

It would be up to teams to seek restitution for bonuses already collected.  Players are paid per week during season and if a player decided it was not worth effort I cannot see why a team would continue to pay for them - they need to pay replacements.

On 7/24/2020 at 7:13 AM, machine gun kelly said:

HB, lots of people still can afford the ticket, but you’re right, certainly less given the economy.  In addition, no bars aren’t going to be open, but if they serve food, it’s a restaurant and they can be open in many states.  It will be harder on them as occupancy is lower in limits so the ticket for an establishment.  I’ll end up at the wild wings around the corner As they are open and have had the ticket forever.  Given a national franchise, they will have the $ for it.  I hate going to restaurants for the game, but I’m one of those not wanting to pay for the ticket.  I may buckle though as I had it since 1996.

I know my Bills Backers Bar is going to be open at half capacity which will make it seem like a Bills out of playoffs game.  They also will be opening the outside tailgating area with fire place and outdoor bar.  Masks are required when not eating / drinking (smoking already no longer allowed despite protests from those who believe it should be each person's choice).